SD card // overwrite or formatting... what is the best option

bert c

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Forum.

I wonder. What is the proper workflow when formatting an SD card. This is what I do right now;

1] after taking photo's and the card is full, I take the SD card into the cardreader of my computer and transfer the images to my harddisk.

2] I select all images at the SD card, place them in the bin of my computer and empty the bin so the card is empty

3] I take the card back into the M9 and OVERWRITE before taking new images

Now, I've read somewhere that OVERWRITE is not such a good options because it may cause "leftovers" and "particals" on the card which may cause writing failures as I had last week [see my earlier post]

Is that true?

Is it sufficient just to format the card in the M9 and not use the overwrite? But when does one use the overwrite possibility?

Please enlighten me.

Thank you for your help and greetings from the Netherlands.

Bert

Hi Bert,

if you intend to clear the card after downloading, then I would certainly not bother with deleting them from the card on your computer. (In fact, I'd advise against doing that.) Also, unless you have a problem with the card, then just a simple format without overwrite in the camera is all you need to do. It's also a whole lot quicker. :)

• Like 1

Hi Bert. In theory, all cameras and computers should use the exact same standards when writing to a memory card. However, anecdotal evidence over the years seems to suggest that this isn't always the case. So in order to reduce any risk of unexpected card problems, it is generally considered safer to only format and/or delete files from cards in the camera. This is also why it is generally not recommended to swap cards from one camera to another without reformatting them in the camera that they will be used in. It's just a case of better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The firmware in the camera 'prefer' to see and save on a card that has the 'correct' ie own format and file structure.

This goes for all digital cameras.

It's not necessarily a problem if is not, but it can often lead to file problems.

Also switching cards between cameras should be followed by a in camera formatting. For the same reason.

Edit: cross posting a little with Nicole I see, sorry! :)

• Like 1

Why would you advise against deleting the images from the card via the computer?

Because it means asking for trouble. Do not let two distinct instances (here: camera and computer) change the contents of the card. Let one instance write data to the card, let the other read it, period. It's the camera that creates the data so let the camera also be the instance that gets rid of them. The best method—easiest, quickest, and most gentle to the card's memory cells—is in-camera re-formatting (but not overwriting ... except maybe when you're in the kind of situation Jaap has sketched out above).

• Like 2

Hello Nicole.

why would you advise against deleting the images from the card via the computer?

FAT32 is not a robust file system and deleting in the computer can cause directory problems because of differing implementations. It is safest to copy to the computer and format in camera.

Formatting only writes block headers . If one suspects problems because of stray strings on the card, a 'secure erase' on a computer is probably more thorough than overwrite in the camera but I am not certain of this.

All flash memory has a finite 'write cycle' life and operations that write every address should be voided unless specifically indicated by problems.

I hope this is helpful

Regards .... H

• Like 1

So far the only card error I have ever had (once!) was from the camera messing up a file writing process, which required removal of the battery. Was OK after that but I formatted the card in camera after retrieving the files. Since then everything is fine. So the error rate is 1/15,000 roughly.

My standard OP is to open the card via card reader, select files, "cut" (ctrl-x), and "paste" (ctrl-v) files to target folder. No formatting is required, neccesary or useful. Just like a memory stick does not require formatting everry time you use it.

IMHO using 2GB - 4GB cards provides an incentive to change on a regular basis reducing the risk of putting all your photograpic eggs into the same basket.

Swapping cards between camera's however is a very bad idea, unless you format. The "fast format" however is not really resetting the card, only wiping the FAT, and a full format takes a looooong time.

Edited by SJP
  • Like 1

Memory cards and their file systems (FAT16/32 and DCF on top of it) are designed to be swappable between cameras, btw.. I do it all the time.

Hmmm... Try putting an M8 SD card into the DMR. It will die - completely - on image 27. Each and every time. And a friend of mine got into trouble on playback between an Nikon P&S and Canon Powershot the other day, despite the card containing separate Canon and Nikon folders.

Edited by jaapv

I don't understand the need for discussion and picking over the bones.

Formatting or deleting the images after downloading to a PC takes the same amount of time. There are possible (some say real) benefits of formatting the card, there are possible (some say real) downsides to just deleting the images. Some 'say lets be safe', some say 'I've never had a problem'. I think all in all people should just think about how much their next image may mean to them and make the choice as to how they treat their SD card.

I know which way I vote.

Steve

• Like 1

Overwriting reduces the life expectancy of the card and serves no useful purpose. Just delete the images (or format the card if it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling).

Given how very long it takes to overwrite, I am guessing that overwrite is a security option to obliterate all data. No?

Its if you don't want the Secret Police to read your card :)

Steve

A microwave is quicker though. :D (Not recommended if you ever wish to use that card again.) I always give old memory cards, CD & DVD disks 5 seconds on full-power before binning them. :cool: