Mother and Child, Inle, Myanmar

Arif

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you support an illegal junta with an atrocious human rights record, yes. since 1989 the military authorities in Burma have promoted the name Myanmar as the conventional name for their state; the UK and US governments are among most internationally that do not recognise the name, which is a derivative of the Burmese short-form name Myanma Naingngandaw.

In common usage those who persist in using the name imposed by the junta are seen as supporting it, and hence supporting the suppression of free speech, the illegal persecution of the Buddhist monks, corrupt elections and the incarceration of Aung San Suu Kyi.

Regards,

Bill

...okay, Bill, I'll try not to get into the politics of what type of governments the US and UK offer their unique brand of temporal recognition and support to - happy to discuss elsewhere, though. Quick question: leaving colonial designations aside, what have the locals always called their country?

Such such an extremely touching and beautiful image!!! I love it so much! Arif, you're living in Tokyo? I guess we're pretty next door since I live in Tokyo too. It's a powerful photograph!

I am very happy you like it. Yes I am in Tokyo and see that you are a film shooter so would be great to go out once the cherry blossoms are in bloom. Please shoot me a pm or send me mail through my web site.

Thanks again,

Arif

One more from the same shoot. Comments very welcome.

Thank you for looking,

Arif

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Your opening photo literally brought tears to my eyes. The elegant pride displayed on the mother's face combined with the total innocence of the child is too good to be true. It's difficult to look at such a photo and ask, What would I change?, and find nothing but perfection. I love the composition, geometric lines created with the mother's bag straps and arm position and the rich tonal value of their skin tones. Great, great photo!

Thank you very much Bob for appreciating this photograph and the beauty of the souls within. The second picture is the scene which had originally attracted me to the mother and child as I watched her taking care of her baby in a very barren compound with only temple ruins. Over the next 30+ minutes, I was able to witness her dignity and her pride and her confidence. I tried to do justice to her beauty as a woman and as a mother and as a survivor who gave me hope that the child will be OK. I hope I could explain how I felt. It is much easier to show in a photograph ;)

... Quick question: leaving colonial designations aside, what have the locals always called their country?

My Burmese collegue who works with me is an ethnic Karen and his view is that calling it both Burma and Mynmar is to him not acceptable as both names are imposed and do not recognise the sovereignty of the Karen and Shan states, which in their own time were separate kingdoms.

I have another friend also, whose mother would have been a Shan Queen and that would have made him a Shan Prince, he actually refers to the country as Burma.

That aside, i did mean to post when i first saw the opening image and say how wonderful it is. There is so much pride evident in the mother.

Regards

Ali