Beginners forum, Advanced forum

viramati

If you were to do that, then how would the beginners be able to learn from the wisdom of the more advanced members? How would you decide who should be where, and how would you enforce it? I'm afraid that this would not get my vote.

• Like 5

If you were to do that, then how would the beginners be able to learn from the wisdom of the more advanced members? How would you decide who should be where, and how would you enforce it? I'm afraid that this would not get my vote.

Hi Nicol

'wisdom of the more advanced members' eeek

we are having problems with voting in the UK already

Noel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it is better mixed as it is. The headlines gives an indication if it the a basic question about battery life you are tired of being involved in, or if it is something new, advanced and exiting you want to participate in.

Had the forum already been divided, some of us might not have learned that digital cameras had come into existence!

• Like 2

David I'm not sure from your post whether you meant your proposed division to be analog and digital or more about beginner and enthusiast?

The first of course is catered for now with the different fora. We all choose how we sort out what we look at of course. Also some topics are not digital or analog specific at all. The photo fora are the obvious stand outs but also lenses and other accessories for example. On the analog side there is no reason why dicussions on film or printing for example cannot be as technically complex as those on Raw file developing or sensor performance. It just reflects the obvious shift in interest in photography in general. Also all photos shared via direct inclusion or linking are in the end digital.

My view on the second interpretation is that everyone belongs together. This is the best way to learn and share. Some particular topics (and members) interest/irritate some members at the same time. (Think "the next Leica M should have.... or Leica management should....etc ;)) Those difference are intrinsic in our diverse group though.

My preference is that there be no division along the lines that you have suggested.

• Like 1

Lenses go in the Customer forum and always have.

I was referring to this thread, http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/about-leica-forum/135732-lens-subforum-2.html

Seemed a good idea at the time but nothing came of it. Having a look at some other fora, there are lots of sub-fora -- sometimes too many.

The problem with changing sub-forum names is that Google searches will be broken.

We already have dozens of sub-forums here - there us definitely an argument for having fewer, not more.

Edited by andybarton

We already have dozens of sub-forums here - there us definitely an argument for having fewer, not more.

Having fewer sub-forums needn’t preclude the addition of a lens forum. It would just mean combining some of the less frequented forums. My candidates would be the About the Leica Forum and the Leica Wiki Discussion, neither of which is at all busy.

A Beginners Forum might have the merit of shielding newcomers to Leica from the rough treatment that is sometimes handed out to them but, on the whole, I think it’s better if we all stay in the same boat. We’re all beginners at some aspects of Leica photography and there’s not one of us that doesn’t have something to learn. I don’t know about anyone else but that’s the chief reason I come here.