When is someone going to make this case for the rest of us?

John Ricard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

tumblr_lgm4yeY0Yq1qa00deo1_500.jpg

I've been looking for a really small belt case for the M9. The Streetshooter comes really close to what I want but I don't like the fact that it holds the camera horizontally. I don't see how a horizontal camera can "hug" your body. Seems like you'd have to wear the camera in front rather than on your side. (I don't get the people who say the camera is too heavy to wear on your belt, BTW. I frequently shoot with a Nikon 70-200mm lens in a Domke pouch on one side an a Turbo batter on the other).

Anyway, what I really want is a holder that puts the camera on my belt veritically just like this one -(minus the ridiculous shoulder strap or course). I want the holder itself to be just like this one that comes with the titanium Leica. No covering flap, no padding, no zippers, no nothing. Just the most minimal way to transport a Leica body.

So who's gonna make this... I can't be the only one who'd buy it.

• Like 1

it's been what... 25 years that I have made this bag... I used to have an M4 in it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

it's been what... 25 years that I have made this bag... I used to have an M4 in it.

That's an example of a bag that is all wrong for me. It holds the camera horizontally, and it has an unnecessary flap over the camera. I want something minimalistic that matches my minimalistic camera (which incidentally has no Thumbs Up, no grip, no external finder, no soft shutter release, etc..) And judging from the picture, the bag forces you to wear the camera in front rather than on your side (as I mentioned in my original post). I want the camera on my side -the same place that I comfortably hold my 70-200mm lens which is both larger and heavier than my M9.

Edited by John Ricard

That's an example of a bag that is all wrong for me. It holds the camera horizontally, and it has an unnecessary flap over the camera. I want something minimalistic that matches my minimalistic camera (which incidentally has no Thumbs Up, no grip, no external finder, no soft shutter release, etc..) And judging from the picture, the bag forces you to wear the camera in front rather than on your side (as I mentioned in my original post). I want the camera on my side -the same place that I comfortably hold my 70-200mm lens which is both larger and heavier than my M9.

You can wear it on your side and I usually have it at 1400.

I think that a vertical format is actually less body hugging as the body is at the thinnest at the belt, unless you're very thin. I have made a vertical bag for my m5, when I had one.

A flap is necessary to avoid the camera sliding off the holster, when you pick up something on the marble floor at the airport, as I did...

Points of order, Gentlemen.

I do like the basic idea, and have long carried my M7 in a belt pouch with 50mm Elmar-M attached. When the Elmar-M was introduced Leica also brought out a nappa leather waist pouch with a matching wrist strap, which held the camera horizontally (it was "D" shaped when seen from above. It was ideal as long as you didn't have a grip on the camera, and was not really suited to the taller M6TTL and M7 but otherwise nice. I regularly carry my II in my jacket pocket, ready to whip out at a moment's notice.

But.

I see flaws with this concept.

1. We are all different shapes and sizes; it will have to be tailor-made or with plenty of adjustments.

2. You are restricted as to the lens that you can put on; anything long, or with a bulky hood will stick out to the point of obtrusiveness if not damage.

3. You will need a locking mechanism or flap; not just for the times you bend over a well/big drop/marble floor but also to help guard against pickpockets.

4. It's a bit, well, geeky - it smacks of gadgetry, khaki shorts and sun-shades and tourism. I am reminded of the cases you could get for the original Psion Organiser (the one that ran on a PP3); one was made in a similar way so that the Yuppie owner could whip his status symbol out from under his Next suit jacket and astonish his friends with the 2-line dot matrix display.

5. It will not go down well in many parts of the world in the current climate. Allow me to illustrate.

Here is a shot I took a few years ago of another Bill, prior to 11/9:

He appeared from nowhere and walked down the road. I took my camera from my bag and kept pace, firing off a few shots. The gentlemen with him were not along for the ride; earlier shots in the sequence show that they clocked me straightaway but once they had established I was not a threat they watched but did not interfere with me.

Now imagine the same scene today, if I reach instead under my jacket to a "shoulder holster" rig and start to pull out a lump of black metal and raise it into firing position...

...no thanks.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

Points of order, Gentlemen.

I do like the basic idea, and have long carried my M7 in a belt pouch with 50mm Elmar-M attached. When the Elmar-M was introduced Leica also brought out a nappa leather waist pouch with a matching wrist strap, which held the camera horizontally (it was "D" shaped when seen from above. It was ideal as long as you didn't have a grip on the camera, and was not really suited to the taller M6TTL and M7 but otherwise nice. I regularly carry my II in my jacket pocket, ready to whip out at a moment's notice.

But.

I see flaws with this concept.

1. We are all different shapes and sizes; it will have to be tailor-made or with plenty of adjustments.

2. You are restricted as to the lens that you can put on; anything long, or with a bulky hood will stick out to the point of obtrusiveness if not damage.

3. You will need a locking mechanism or flap; not just for the times you bend over a well/big drop/marble floor but also to help guard against pickpockets.

4. It's a bit, well, geeky - it smacks of gadgetry, khaki shorts and sun-shades and tourism. I am reminded of the cases you could get for the original Psion Organiser (the one that ran on a PP3); one was made in a similar way so that the Yuppie owner could whip his status symbol out from under his Next suit jacket and astonish his friends with the 2-line dot matrix display.

Bill

I'd love to see this belt pouch by Leica you mention... Funny enough I just bought a 50 Elmar -M for this very purpose, as my 35 cron is chrome a a bit too heavy.

With the 50 Elmar - M is makes for a perfect fit.

1. Why do you say that? The OP did say he doesn't want the strap, so really it's just the holster

2. I agree, the max you can have is a 50 lux

3. Absolutely, as I found out the hard way.

4. More geeky than carrying around two cameras, one on each shoulder? Perhaps... But definitely less Vietnam correspondent...

• Like 1

this btw is what i did for my, sadly departed, m5: