1st proper 'street' pic

satureyes

You should post photos in the photo forums.

As for the image, personally I wouldn't consider it to be 'street' - not because it's been taken on the underground but - if I can be honest and frank with you - it's just a snapshot of the back of some guys head.

It doesn't say anything, doesn't 'tell a story' and certainly doesn't capture ones attention. If you had gone down the steps and shot him from in front you may have caught a very good portrait.

Be braver next time!

I think I just got a little excited I took a photo without anyone seeing :)

I am VERY conscious of people seeing me and getting annoyed. My head is very much in the land of DSLR's and a little weary of having some scuffles on the street because of me taking someones photo.

I like the image, and I always enjoy seeing images to go along with the text. :p. This is photography forum is it not:confused:.

Awsome hat and I like how you used limited depth of feild and the converging lines. I would have framed/cropped it with a little less room on top but it's still very cool.

Keep shooting and don't be discouraged by any negatives comments.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

As far as it not being a street image? Opinon vary on what is and what is not street photography. . Many of my best street images are just snap shots of the back of peoples heads:). So what do I know;).

http://rogaltacdesign.smugmug.com/Other/Early-Work/DSC7785/1106884911_5dRFN-L.jpg

Gregory

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't mind the fact that it's the back of some bloke's head and don't see how that disqualifies the shot from being 'street'. Sometimes a photo works better when it is totally anonymous and there is something mildly incongruous about that hat in that setting. It's a perfectly decent shot.

Just as an aside, why do you have the huge logo plastered in all your posts? If I'm honest, it is very annoying.

• Like 1

Guest Holy Moly

Hi Rick,

don't be too disappointed. In streetphotography in it's pure meaning or in the eyes of the more traditional shooters the borderline of 'happy snaps' in b&w and pics with a certain 'hook' is invisible. The more you are out the more you might get those keepers, but it will not work when you force yourself too much.

Very important is your capability to have a good communication and relaxed mind....;) and good shoes.....:rolleyes:

here a helpful link:

iN-PUBLiC | David Gibson

Well thanks folks - I appreciate the feedback. Its funny - people are quick to criticise then see that perhaps someone is actually more of a jobbing professional than they first thought - then their tone changes.

Just because i'm new to rangefinders.. it's like 'let's all laugh at the new boy' syndrome :)

Well thanks folks - I appreciate the feedback. Its funny - people are quick to criticise then see that perhaps someone is actually more of a jobbing professional than they first thought - then their tone changes.

Just because i'm new to rangefinders.. it's like 'let's all laugh at the new boy' syndrome :)

By 'people' I assume you mean me?

Did I change my tune? My original criticism of your photo still stands, but from what I've seen on your website you're more capable than the image posted here would suggest, albeit that there are other 'back of people' shots there too.

You've said that you're uncomfortable photographing strangers and that shows. Nothing wrong, lot's of people feel the same way, but some of us like to challenge ourselves.

I don't hear anyone laughing. Sorry if my comments offended you, I'll try to be less honest in the future!

No - actually I'm not in any way offended. I am also speaking generally- not just here but other forums.

I am slightly more thick-skinned to take offence because someone doesn't like an image I posted in a forum, really I have had worse insults!

I actually understand what you're saying, but I actually don't have a passion for documenting the human condition, I have a slight interest in taking more candid images but that's about it.

For me - I want to integrate the M9 into my work so that I can eventually push aside my DSLR gear which at the moment is critical to me earning a living, so I have a bit of a mental block about getting 'caught out' which if I can overcome - then I think I can produce some nice work.

I like the image of the hat - it was more the graphical-ness of it I liked rather than trying to show the inner soul of the chap wearing it.

I have a big issue with photography that has no emotional meaning to ME - not others. I don't really see the point (IMO) of shooting things that I don't connect with. If I don't connect - then the photo has no value to me - and therefore it's not worth taking.

Hope that makes sense!

I share the same opinion as James. It is very nice photograph, I really like it.

But I also do not see any decisive moment in it.

You could take it few seconds earlier, few later.

It is not enough to be B&W, placed on street - to be classified as 'street'.

Don't know if you have seen this short movie:

Edited by Jerry_R

Ok so now I have to justify why I put it into B&W?

I liked the graphical look. Simple. I put 'street' in ''. I know it's not on the street. I should have put

My first image taken on a tube station escalator in B&W because I liked how it looked.

Its a first attempt. Give me a break.

Hi Rick

I understand your reticence with street photography and the imposition some people feel when cameras are pointed at them as they go about their daily lives. Just try walking round the Medina in Marrakech with a camera and you'll get some extremely angry responses.

Some people are really good at engaging their subjects with a ready smile and a more up-front approach. It's when you want to remain invisible and not be noticed that it becomes more difficult. We all know when we are being watched and it makes us feel uncomfortable. The more awkward you feel about it the more your subjects are going to feel uneasy about your intentions. It's a balance between knowing when to make eye contact and be honest about letting them know they are the actors in your scene or when to keep them unaware and therefore much more natural in their expressions and mannerisms.

Rangefinders can be much less obvious than big SLRs, but still the action of lifting any camera up to your face shouts "look at me, I'm taking your picture".

I found the easiest solution in Marrakech was zone-focussing and 'shooting from the hip'. It is quite difficult keeping the body level, but you'll shoot more, get some great shots and have much less stress.

Regards

Alex

• Like 1

The more I look at this I have to admit I quite like it.I like the the contrast of the texture of the hat with the shape of the hair at the back of the head and then the contrast of this with the texture of the jacket and then the strong diagonal lines on upper right and low left + perfect focus. Well done. By the way great site and good to see a Pro wanting to take up the leica challenge.

By the way I shoot from the hip for most of my street work using a 28mm lens and zone focussing

Edited by viramati