I love my Leicaflex!

ganzosrevenge

One of the things I miss (I get my Flex back early June) is that while My F3HP has the H2 screen (with a load of microprisms), and as sharp as nikkors can be, it doesn't feel as reassuring as the 50/2 cron. Perhaps it's the wrist-snapping long throw, the bearings, who knows... but the more i use even my fave nikkor (the f/1.2 AI-S) and compare it to the mid 60s cron, it makes me realize that while the japanese perfected the mass production of the SLR, there is something beautiful about the flex's build quality and robustness.

As for motor drives, I have a love-hate relationship with them. Yes, Nikons are made for them, but I have the fear in the back of my mind of accidentally ripping the camera from the inside out due to the torque and power of the motor. Perhaps Leica would rather build a separate body and internal design to mitigate this among sports and other high-speed shooters. THus, I don't think the LFlex or the NIkon beat each other up so much as they compliment one another. The former is more pure, the latter more adaptable.

Jason

• 10 months later...

Just bought this Leicaflex Standard Mk I No 1081955 of the first batch made in 1964. The meter is working, and all is OK. Couple of rub marks due to the MkII leather case that it came in. The 135 is the only non ROM lens I have... must get an early 50 'cron.

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Those original Leicaflex are the 'smoothest' functioning of the series. All the functions just exude quality. Taking the picture is almost as much fun as getting the picture. And their finish is nicer then the SL or SL2; one of the last of the really nicely finished cameras. And I love the bright screen.

Edited by SteveYork

Yes, the screen is great, it's like using an M (I think it was based on the Visoflex) as only the centre spot focuses. You can use the edge of the focus circle for split image focussing, or just the whole spot. Also, I can focus without my glasses, and read the shutter speed display at the bottom of the screen. I need a +1.5 correction on my SL2 and R9.

The meter is like an MR on a rangefinder, in that it covers the area of a 90mm.

I think my 135 is confusing it (by reflecting light?) as it is a couple of stops off in bright sun, but spot on in diffused light.

John

I once handed a Standard 'Flex w/ a 90 Summicron to a Nikon user. He couldn't believe his eyes--said the finder looked brighter than real life. His were "dingy" by comparison.

I did the same with an SL and 400mm f/6.8 Telyt. Great fun watching his jaw drop. His first words afterward were "what aperture did you say this lens is?"

Bought a working Leicaflex SL from Tamarkin a few mths back. It's been nothing short of a joy to use with my 50mm / cron. It's addicting to the point that upon getting my tax refund, i MAY just go and get an original L-Flex just to see what I've been missing with the SL.

Question: After the original L-Flex, metering, and prism brightness did improve...but besides MLU, is there anything (quality, feel, etc.,) that sets the original L-Flex apart from its more modern contemporaries (the SL and SL2)?

jason

• Like 1

... is there anything (quality, feel, etc.,) that sets the original L-Flex apart from its more modern contemporaries (the SL and SL2)?

IMHO the Leicaflex feels more 'substantial' than the SL or SL2. Several of its internal parts seem to be brass where the SL and SL2 use aluminum or plastic parts. One plastic part which was a mistake was the cam for adjusting the shutter's anti-return mechanism. This mechanism prevents the shutter from opening inadvertantly if the film advance cycle isn't completed. The plastic cam will eventually deform under the pressure of the locking screw and the mechanism will not work properly. The replacement part is metal, which in my experience works well.

Note that there were 4 versions of the pre-SL Leicaflex with some very signifcant internal differences. The first two versions may be identified outwardly by the 'pie-shaped' film counter window and the tripod mount held in place with three screws. The last two versions have a round film counter window (like the SL and SL2) and a tripod mount with attachments hidden under the base plate.

The earliest Leicaflex has a body construction unlike any of the later versions and may be identified by the screws visible inside the film chamber. During the production run the shutter's high speed escapement was changed from individual parts to a sub-assembly which was also used in the SL and SL2. In many respects, aside from the meter and viewscreen, the last production of the Leicaflex was much more like the SL than it was like the first Leicaflex.

• Like 3

IMHO the Leicaflex feels more 'substantial' than the SL or SL2. Several of its internal parts seem to be brass where the SL and SL2 use aluminum or plastic parts. One plastic part which was a mistake was the cam for adjusting the shutter's anti-return mechanism. This mechanism prevents the shutter from opening inadvertantly if the film advance cycle isn't completed. The plastic cam will eventually deform under the pressure of the locking screw and the mechanism will not work properly. The replacement part is metal, which in my experience works well.

Note that there were 4 versions of the pre-SL Leicaflex with some very signifcant internal differences. The first two versions may be identified outwardly by the 'pie-shaped' film counter window and the tripod mount held in place with three screws. The last two versions have a round film counter window (like the SL and SL2) and a tripod mount with attachments hidden under the base plate.

The earliest Leicaflex has a body construction unlike any of the later versions and may be identified by the screws visible inside the film chamber. During the production run the shutter's high speed escapement was changed from individual parts to a sub-assembly which was also used in the SL and SL2. In many respects, aside from the meter and viewscreen, the last production of the Leicaflex was much more like the SL than it was like the first Leicaflex.

Douglas,

I have my eyes on LeicaShop Vintage Cameras | Leica | Leica Reflexkameras | Leicaflex Standard chrom | Leicaflex chrome | german

Where would this stand in the "hierarchy of plasticizing"

Jason

Jason,

just took a peek at the link, my goodness there are some gorgeous cameras there, very very tempting. The one you linked to looks especially nice.

I have a black paint SL, belongs to a friend who is selling it (I have already sold off part of the kit). After seeing all this and reading about everyone's relationships with the LeicaFlex I am wondering if I might just retain this one for myself. I need it like a hole in the head as I have M series stuff, but this "feels nice" as we all can appreciate. The batteries, they can be sourced (for the meter)?? I thought they were no longer available?

Gary

Edited by gbealnz

Jason,

just took a peek at the link, my goodness there are some gorgeous cameras there, very very tempting. The one you linked to looks especially nice.

I have a black paint SL, belongs to a friend who is selling it (I have already sold off part of the kit). After seeing all this and reading about everyone's relationships with the LeicaFlex I am wondering if I might just retain this one for myself. I need it like a hole in the head as I have M series stuff, but this "feels nice" as we all can appreciate. The batteries, they can be sourced (for the meter)?? I thought they were no longer available?

Gary

Wein Air Cell, 1.35v will give the proper voltage for your camera. B&H and most finer photographic stores will sell them.

The SL is a brick. I love mine to bits and pieces, and I'm happy I stuck it out to find a good one.

I have my eyes on LeicaShop Vintage Cameras | Leica | Leica Reflexkameras | Leicaflex Standard chrom | Leicaflex chrome | german

Where would this stand in the "hierarchy of plasticizing"

Very little plastic. This is either the first or second variant (I can't tell which w/o seeing the film chamber). The plastic I know of on this model is limited to the viewscreen, film advance lever tip, viewfinder eyepiece, and various bits related to the meter.

Wein Air Cell, 1.35v will give the proper voltage for your camera. B&H and most finer photographic stores will sell them.

The meter can also be re-calibrated to work accurately with 1.5-volt 625s silver-oxide cells, which is what I've done with my SL bodies.

I'm sure I've posted this photo before but just to emphasize: many parts are interchangeable between the SL and the Leicaflex. My chrome SL has self-timer, shutter speed dial, rewind crank arm and film speed dial assembly from Leicaflexes, and I've used SL parts to repair Leicaflexes. This camera also has the modification to use ROM lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Finally, the Nikon's interchangeable finders and focusing screens is a feature I use a lot and have grown spoiled with over the years. Yes, the Leicaflexes' brilliant viewfinder and focusing screen are justly legendary, and I derive great glee from reducing my DSLR toting friends nearly to tears by encouraging them to take a peek. But dropping an H screen (full-field microprism) in the F/F2 is just as bright and nearly as easy to focus. Again, I prefer the Nikon functionality. But that Leicaflex viewfinder is really hard to beat.

I'm sorry to disagree but this is simply not true!

I tried H screens in my F and F2 probably after reading some internet folklore re this issue. It actually made them harder to focus than the standard K screens I used to use.

Definately not as bright and in no way as easy to focus as my SL and SL2.

I've since sold all my F2's and F's apart from one.

I just picked up a Pentax MX and K2 to try out and I find their finders easier to focus than Nikons.

I think it's the magnification factor that affects it a lot.

Best ever combo for focusing pleasure is my SL2 and 60 macro elmarit.

Jason,

Gary

I used Ms before finding the Leicaflex. I still use an M. But a Leicaflex SL w/ a 90mm lens is one of those things you need to experience once in life. You jaw will drop to the floor.

It's not so much brighter, in my experience, from Nikons and the rest, but its' 2-tone microprisms give a 3D effect unlike any other camera. Things just 'pop' into focus, especially with telephotos. I encourage you to give it a try.

In fact, the SL led me to the M5, which I like the best our of all the M cameras I've used over the years (M4, M6, M7, MP).

Question: After the original L-Flex, metering, and prism brightness did improve...but besides MLU, is there anything (quality, feel, etc.,) that sets the original L-Flex apart from its more modern contemporaries (the SL and SL2)?

jason

There's a different feel between the original Leicaflex and the SL. Much bigger difference then between an SL and a SL2. The original Leicaflex is smaller, but weighs more. It's solid. The meter is more sensitive, and this coupled with the brighter viewfinder makes it great for lower light shots. The take up spindle is a bit different; that 50's design. The functions are just so smooth (film advance, shutter, rewind); the smoothest camera I've ever used. And my sense is the shutter is a bit quieter too. There's a bunch of other minor difference, but the original Leicaflex feels like it was built in a different era. It's a great, fun camera, but the SL is easier to focus in normal light.

Check out the old leica forum on the photo.net site. As I recall there's some discussion threads on the camera.

Edited by SteveYork