can the elmarit 135 be used on a visoflex?

Scott Root

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Luigi,

Very interesting. Here is a quote from Ken Rockwell LEICA Lenses

LEICA ELMARIT 135mm f/2.8, 1963-1977, Series VII filters, 730g. 11 829.

LEICA ELMARIT-M 135mm f/2.8, 1977-1998, 55mm filters, 735g. 11 829.

(11 829 for both versions, -M version from serial number 2 788 927)

His info seems to be very similar to the one you give here.

I am awaiting one that was made in 1979, with SN# 2997xxx, so it ought to be the last version and its lens head can be attached to the Visoflex, correct?

Thanks, K-H.

Yes, last version, and mountable on Viso II/III through 16462 ring.

• Like 1

There used to be a joke it really was an adapter ring company that made cameras.

135 at 4.0 is pretty close to 135 4.0 full open. It must be the e55 version which is better. My 2.8 is the earlier version and the 4.0 is way better.

I keep my 135 4.0 tele elmar for close work and currently sees use on Nikon D3. Outstanding lens close and far which is more than can be said for many of the tele offerings.

Buy the 135 4.0 tele Elmar if you can find one. Then a universl focus mount and some tubes. Goes to 1:4 no tubes, to 1:2 with one tube, 1:1.3 with with two tubes. I have this pasted right on my focus mount. Of course you can use a bellows also.

Same rig can go on a Leicas R with M>R adapter or put the Camera Quest Leica>Nikon on it and it goes on my full frame Nikon digital where the files are outstanding.

i kept these on file from my "visoflex" era. maybe they will help? they've all been published on the forum at one time or another.

who referred to visoflex as the "lord of the (adapter) rings"???? :D

greetings from hamburg

rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

I am trying to use some old Leica M lenses on my digital Pentax (K-1, full frame).

I have a "Leitaxed" Viso-to-R adapter (original R bayonet swapped for a K one), that i use with a Summicron Canada 2/90mm mounted on 16462 focusing mount, and a Telyt 4/200mm (serial 1899xxx) + OUBIO ring.

I have been so impressed by the rendition of the Summicron that i decided to buy an Elmarit Canada 2.8/135mm that can use the same 16462 focusing mount.

I have found one in user conditions, with impeccable glasses. It's the first version, serial 2038xxx.

I came to this thread in search of further informations about the use of the optical kernel, separated from the focusing mount with "goggles".

I tried hard, but i could not unscrew the optics + diaphragm assembly from the back of the barrel.

I even unscrewed the small set screw, but this way the only part that comes off is the optical group in front of the diaphragm. The diaphragm and the back glass are still attached to the focusing helicoid!

Any suggestion?

Is there any trick that i should be aware of?

The Summicron 90mm just unscrews, very easily and without problems. It shouldn't be so difficult to do the same with the Elmarit...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

cheers

Paolo

Edited by cyberjunkie

Mine unscrews easily and has been more often used on 16462 than on the goggled M mount. I have used it (and 90mm Elmarit, 135mm Elmar and 200mm Telyt lenses) on film and digital Nikons via a Rayqual Viso to Nikon F adapter and also on mirrorless digital cameras via further adapters.

Maybe yours has been together so long its stuck, I haven't the lens here but can't imagine what screw would be loosened with advantage.

Gerry

Edited by gyoung

After some time, and applying a lot of torque, it finally came out.

I had to use some tools:

E21pmgI.jpg

ZjcD6o4.jpg

cheers

Paolo

I had the same issue with my (used) tele-elmar 135mm. When I received it, the amount of brute force required to unscrew the optical unit was astonishing. I was afraid of doing mechanical damage. My suspicion was that the optical unit had never been unscrewed until it came along to me.

I had the same issue with my (used) tele-elmar 135mm. When I received it, the amount of brute force required to unscrew the optical unit was astonishing. I was afraid of doing mechanical damage. My suspicion was that the optical unit had never been unscrewed until it came along to me.

Hello Michael,

It is more likely that someone unscrewed it & then screwed it back together using too much force.

Or possibly unscrewed it & then screwed it back together again using too much force after using an improper lubricant. And then left it that way for a long time.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add one bit of trivia that I don't recall seeing in this thread. The Elmarit was sold with the eyes, the version that we are generally more familiar with and also was sold in a short mount for Viso use. Some years ago I bought an immaculate short mount version from a dealer in Australia. Regards, ron