can the elmarit 135 be used on a visoflex?

Scott Root

An interesting detail from the quoted article:

"The round knob on the side has three positions. Yellow is the fast action setting, where the mirror ‘clacks’ up at high speed. The black setting is much slower and is used for long exposures where camera shake might be a problem. The red setting lifts the mirror up. This is also the setting used for storing the Visoflex."

So far I had not been following the "storing the Visoflex" option. I will now.

Thanks, K-H.

... Has this lens been modified to work like the tele elmar 135, or is this possible with all elmarit 135 lenses?

No need to modify anything as Pop said above. You just need the lenshead (# 11828) of the Elmarit and screw it onto the short focus mount # 16462.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Can you confirm that the Elmarit does unscrew to come apart like the tele elmar 135? And, your pictures seem to show both a short and long version of the #16462 focus mount. If so, why are there two versions of the mount? The array of visoflex adaptors and combinations is very confusing.

No need to modify anything as Pop said above. You just need the lenshead (# 11828) of the Elmarit and screw it onto the short focus mount # 16462.

Can you confirm that the Elmarit does unscrew to come apart like the tele elmar 135?

Mine does.

And, your pictures seem to show both a short and long version of the #16462 focus mount. If so, why are there two versions of the mount?

If it is a focusing mount, you must be able to move the lens forward and backward. I presume that the two pictures show one fully retracted and one fully extended, respectively. In about a week's time I ought to be able to tell from firsthand experience.

The array of visoflex adaptors and combinations is very confusing.

It is. Perhaps this is of any help to you:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/discus/messages/22/50268.html?1099469939

can someone comment on the sharpness of the tele elmar 135 versus the elmarit 135 at f4?

As far as i recall, the sharpness of the last Elmarit-M 135/2.8 (11829 - E55) is very close to that of the first Tele-Elmar-M 135/4 (11851 - E39) at f/4 but i don't use the latter any more and i have no experience with the last version (11861 - E46) of it.

For a review of the Elmarit-R 135/2.8 (same optics lately), see Leica Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 (E55) Lens Review.

I picked up a hooded version 135 Elmarit f2.8 from KEH

since I got my M9, I have not used my Viso much, so I gave it a run

I like its OOF rendering better than my 135 f4 TeleElmar, though it tends to have more CA when opened up

here is an example

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

taken at ISO 320 f4 using a monopod & the Viso

a much larger version of this can be found here

Leica Digital Ms Photo Gallery by Artichoke Vinagrette at pbase.com along with many other orchids from our collection taken with the Viso & digital Ms

I don't have the ring adapter needed to mount this on my bellows for the Viso, so this was cropped about 40%

I need to find that ring adapter as I would love using it more for florals, but its minimum focus distance is too great to fill the frame with most flowers

Artichoke: a #16474 adapter screws into the #16462 focusing mount to give

closer focusing. I think you could find one and they (usually) aren't expensive.

I believe this will do what you want.

I want to use it with my bellows

there must be a bellows adapter ring, though I am not certain which one

I want to use it with my bellows

there must be a bellows adapter ring, though I am not certain which one

Correct. I think that both the 90/2 and 135/2.8 lens head have the same thread. If that's the case, I have in front of me the 90/2 lens head that fits onto a Bellows II via adapter 16598.

K-H.

Hello Artichoke,

You can use your 135 Elmarit lens head on a bellow I or II w/ a 16598 altho you might be happier w/ the results using a Tele-Elmar head on either bellows w/ a 16558. I don't think either will give you infinity on the bellows I.

Hello Scott,

I think the only Barnack or M chrome 135's were the f 4 Elmar & the Hektor that preceded it.

Best Regards To You Both,

Michael

Thank you all for your very helpful answers to my questions. Was a chrome version of the elmarit 135 ever produced?

No, 135 2,8 are all black: the short focusing mount for Visoflex, on the contrary, can be found in chrome, because was originally made, coded as ZOOEP, for the Summicron 90 (I have it in this version.. it has also the focus distances' scale... a 135 head onto it is a ugly look...:p... I posted a picture of it time ago...) .

A rather important detail if you are searching for one: Elmarit 135 has 2 different optical designs, the latter identical to the twin R mount lens; this last version (from 1975-76... numbers over 2.77x.xxx) is the best, and retains the unscrewable head (which, on the contrary, was made fixed on the last version of the Tele Elmar 135 f4).

Edited by luigi bertolotti

No, 135 2,8 are all black: the short focusing mount for Visoflex, on the contrary, can be found in chrome, because was originally made, coded as ZOOEP, for the Summicron 90 (I have it in this version.. it has also the focus distances' scale... a 135 head onto it is a ugly look...:p... I posted a picture of it time ago...) .

A rather important detail if you are searching for one: Elmarit 135 has 2 different optical designs, the latter identical to the twin R mount lens; this last version (from 1975-76... numbers over 2.77x.xxx) is the best, and retains the unscrewable head (which, on the contrary, was made fixed on the last version of the Tele Elmar 135 f4).

Luigi,

Very interesting. Here is a quote from Ken Rockwell LEICA Lenses

LEICA ELMARIT 135mm f/2.8, 1963-1977, Series VII filters, 730g. 11 829.

LEICA ELMARIT-M 135mm f/2.8, 1977-1998, 55mm filters, 735g. 11 829.

(11 829 for both versions, -M version from serial number 2 788 927)

His info seems to be very similar to the one you give here.

I am awaiting one that was made in 1979, with SN# 2997xxx, so it ought to be the last version and its lens head can be attached to the Visoflex, correct?

Thanks, K-H.