90 Elmarit vs 90 Tele-Elmarit

Rich6284

Strictly speaking, the "Tele" prefix signifies that the lens is telephoto - that is, its physical length is less than its optical focal length. Thus, the lens is shorter and can be lighter. I have the Tele-Elmarit, but not the original Elmarit so cannot compare their performance. The Tele is decent (but I cannot say it is sharper than my old 90 Elmar (SM)). However, it is very compact and lightweight, and I enjoy using it.

I hope this answers your question.

Stuart

In my experience the comparative results are somewhat subjective. My 90 Elmarit tends to produce medium contrast results with greater center sharpness than at the edges...very pleasing for portrait work or nature work with a central point of interest. However, I often preferred my tele-elmarit as it was compact and a little sharper and contrastier across the entire field. Having said that, I grudgingly sold my tele-elmarit last year because:

1) I wasn't using it as often as I did in the past,

2) the Elmarit head was removable and usable both in my Visoflex and on my DSLR - a feature I highly prized, and

3) I didn't see the need to keep 3 90mm lenses on hand (I traded an old Summicron for a new ASPH last year).

Whichever lens you use, I encourage you to use a lens shade to keep down the flare. I never found the flare to be too obtrusive...but occasionally it did get into some shots and could have been avoided if I had dutifully put the shade on.

• 2 weeks later...
In my experience the comparative results are somewhat subjective. My 90 Elmarit tends to produce medium contrast results with greater center sharpness than at the edges...very pleasing for portrait work or nature work with a central point of interest. However, I often preferred my tele-elmarit as it was compact and a little sharper and contrastier across the entire field. Having said that, I grudgingly sold my tele-elmarit last year because:

1) I wasn't using it as often as I did in the past,

2) the Elmarit head was removable and usable both in my Visoflex and on my DSLR - a feature I highly prized, and

3) I didn't see the need to keep 3 90mm lenses on hand (I traded an old Summicron for a new ASPH last year).

Whichever lens you use, I encourage you to use a lens shade to keep down the flare. I never found the flare to be too obtrusive...but occasionally it did get into some shots and could have been avoided if I had dutifully put the shade on.

EXACTLY the same impressions I feel from my Elmarit vs.Tele Elmarit : only difference: I keep the tele for compactness, leave home always the not Tele: do not discard it just for collection purposes...