Kodachrome, all is not lost.

moikle

You can do the same with C41 or E6, you can process as E6, C41 respectively or monochrome, (it is easy to make a 'bad mistake' in a dark room,) now how do I know that...

It is not the same as getting it back in little yellow boxes.

Noel

...this is good news - exactly what you want to hear after you discover another 20 rolls of unused Kodachrome in your freezer.

Could someone please confirm that this process results in Kodachrome coming out as a negative, and not as a positive as originally intended by Kodak? Thanks.

Hi

E6, C41, Kodachrome and convention mono will come out as negatives in Rodinal or D76 or... too much base colour to try and make mono slides...

But it is probably better to do C41 in C41 kit, it is not that difficult...

Noel

I have wondered about C41 processed as B&W. I think I might try that with some old Fujicolor I have that I will never use for colour work.

I have heard good results coming out of souping C41 colour films in a variant of Caffenol.

Caffenol, BTW, is quite intriguing.

Carl

...so, with this process, Kodachrome will come out as a colour negative, and not a B&W negative. Correct?

It will be black and white. The colour is added in the processing, as opposed to washed away (in E6 processing). That's why it is impossible for a third party to make the chemicals - only Kodak know the formula and I doubt if they are going to be telling anyone anytime soon.

• Like 1

...so, with this process, Kodachrome will come out as a colour negative, and not a B&W negative. Correct?

False

Kodachrome is a triple layer film like a C41 or E6 film, except it does not include the color dyes, so E6 or C41 wont work.

However if you can use any mono developer, Rodinal, D76 etc., ... you get a mono negative.

If you use a mono developer with C41 or E6 flme you also get a mono negative.

To get color negative you need to use a specific developer (or isomer) which will couple the dyes in each of the three color layers, this gives you a negative color image and a negative silver image. If you want a color image you remove the silver image.

If you want a transparency you need to include an extra development step, as in the E6 process.

Some people dont (completely) remove the silver image to produce a sifi style synthetic image.

The thing we have lost is the Kodak chemicals for the steps that included the dye introduction into each of the layers, other wise you could still process Kodachrome like Dwanes.

I can do mono or C41 (have done E6) but dont want to think about Kchrome, sorry, dont like weighing powders, on balance.

Noel

• Like 1