Which hood for Summicron-M 35mm w filter thread

Atronach

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm using a Summicron-M 35mm f2.0 (Serialnumber 2461xxx made in Canada; v2?) on my M8. Unfortunately this lense does not have a screw thread for the use of filters.

Am I guessing right, that the only possiblilty to use filters is in using a hood, which has the possibility to take these?

Does the original Leitz/Leica hood 12504 offer this possibility? Is this true only for Series VII or as well for E39 (39mm) filters?

Is there an alternative hood (preferentially made out of metal) which can hold 39mm filters?

Thanks,

Dennis

As far as I know, and according to my reference books, all 35mm Summicron lenses had the E39 filter thread. The serial no. points to 1970, so this should be a v.2. Does it have that little finger tab on the aperture ring?

I wrote in another context, but in answer to a similar question:

All v.2 lenses took 39mm filters, period. So did v.3 lenses (from 1973 on) but these did also take Series VII filters, in that they were delivered with lens hood 12504. This hood could be screwed apart and took the filter between the front and rear half when screwed together again. This was also the hood and filter combination for the 35mm Summilux (1961–95).

The regular hood for v.2 was the 12524. The o/d and the groove of the lens does also fit the pretty universal and common 12585 hood, which fits, according to the engraving on my specimen, "1:2/50, 1:2.8/50, 1:3.5/50, 1:2/35, 1:2.8/35 and 1:3.5/35".

The only Leica 35mm lens I know of that was lacking a filter thread was the original "pre-ASPH" Summilux. At first, this lens took 41mm filters. Later specimens had no thread but used the 12504 hood, as I specify above. Some "slim mount" 49mm filters fit this hood; I think B+W offers the Series filter too, at least on special order.

Are you sure that your lens is a f:2 Summicron, and not a 1:1.4 Summilux?

The old man from the Age of the 3.5cm Elmar

...Am I guessing right, that the only possiblilty to use filters is in using a hood...? Does the original Leitz/Leica hood 12504 offer this possibility? Is this true only for Series VII...

Yes, yes and yes. I would ask Steve Unsworth though as i seem to recall that he had a tip to fit other filters than series VII with the 12504 hood but i may be wrong.

BTW it is the Summicron 35/2 # 11309 (1969-1971), below with the 12504 hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!