Rolling Bag?

AlanJW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have searched but not found an answer to this question (and forgive me please for yet another bag question).

I have two upcoming trips, one for a week and one for two weeks (both by air). I'd like to carry the following:

M9 plus 4 or 5 lenses.

M8 as backup

Battery charger, batteries, SD cards, filters etc.

13" Macbook Air and charger

iPad and charger

Maybe a few small personal things

My back is very bad and I would prefer a rolling bag but not some big monstrosity because even with the gear above, it does not take up so much volume (one reason I like Leica so much). All the bags I have seen look like suitcases that have been only slightly downsized. My usual day bag is a Hadley Pro and I could pull out the insert and put it into another bag for travel if I could find one that worked. If anyone has found a small roller that will be suitable for a Leica carrier (as opposed to the many DSLR system bags), would they kindly point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Edited by WeinschelA
typos

Hello WeinschelA,

I use a Rimowa Topas Aluminum Cabin Trolley IATA for many years.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

New model is a Topas Aluminum Cabin Mulitwheel IATA

The lightest polycarbonate case from Rimowa :eek:

Rimowa Salsa Air Cabin Trolley Multiwheel

Regards,

Eelco

i'm sorry but talking from personal experience. i do commiserate, especially if you have long term back pain. consider carrying half or at least a quarter of what you have described above. it may not make any sense here or now since you decided and you're asking about 'which bag' but in practice and especially if you are already in pain, even one m9 can be so tiring to lift and carry for a whole day that it will stay mostly hidden. my suggestion would still be a small, light backpack (for balance) with less equipment rather than a roller or shoulder bag carrying more. pulling a roller around the streets eventually stresses one side of your back plus it's awkward to open in wet weather. whichever you decide, buy well in advance so you can pack and re-pack and carry around for a day to get a feel for what works and does not cause you any discomfort and tiredness because otherwise your mind will be distracted.

my suggestion would be:

a small sd storage device that could replace the macbook & ipad (if you really have to edit & upload images on a daily basis, just take the macbook)

your m9 plus a good compact (x1 is amazing) that produces dng or raw files

a 28-35-50 mate + cv15 or just a 35 and 15

two spare batteries

chargers that adopt same basic mac plug adaptors

rely on hotel toiletries

you'll be amazed what you can do without in lieu of pain and have and enjoyable trip!

"... consider carrying half or at least a quarter of what you have described above... my suggestion would still be a small, light backpack (for balance) with less equipment rather than a roller or shoulder bag carrying more...

your m9 plus a good compact (x1 is amazing) that produces dng or raw files

a 28-35-50 mate + cv15 or just a 35 and 15, two spare batteries

chargers that adopt same basic mac plug adaptors

rely on hotel toiletries

Couldn't agree more.

And apart from keeping the weight down, you'll keep your heart rate down when you go through airport security.

Travelling through Paris they make me take out the cameras plus every last lens, hard drive, phone, Kindle... it's not worth the candle (sorry)).

I never find I want more than two lenses on walkabout anyway. Just decide (and commit)) in advance.

Regards,

Mark

I have searched but not found an answer to this question (and forgive me please for yet another bag question).

I have two upcoming trips, one for a week and one for two weeks (both by air). I'd like to carry the following:

M9 plus 4 or 5 lenses.

M8 as backup

Battery charger, batteries, SD cards, filters etc.

13" Macbook Air and charger

iPad and charger

Maybe a few small personal things

My back is very bad and I would prefer a rolling bag but not some big monstrosity because even with the gear above, it does not take up so much volume (one reason I like Leica so much). All the bags I have seen look like suitcases that have been only slightly downsized. My usual day bag is a Hadley Pro and I could pull out the insert and put it into another bag for travel if I could find one that worked. If anyone has found a small roller that will be suitable for a Leica carrier (as opposed to the many DSLR system bags), would they kindly point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Intrepid traveler here...One thing puzzles: You said "Maybe a few small personal things". What about clothes for a one and two-week trip?

From experience, you could get all of the above, including clothing (if you choose your clothes carefully) into a carry-on-legal rolling suitcase (camera stuff in a small bag like a Domke F5XB--trust me, it will all fit. I get 2 M bodies and 4 lenses in to mine,using the back-to-back lens coupling rings, plus a little flash. Or your Hadley.). The only problem is some airlines have weight restrictions for carry-on, and others have been randomly enforcing the dimension rules strictly, and most of those bags are the maximum dimensions not counting the wheels so they won't fit in the template box. If you're ok checking the bag through in terms of cost and inconvenience, then worst-case scenario you grab out the camera bag and your laptop sleeve and carry those on. In fact you'll need to keep them out and put them in a separate bin through the x-ray, otherwise it's almost a certainty you'll end up having them open your suitcase for inspection.

If what you are thinking about is getting a small rolling case just for the camera and laptop stuff, I would advise you reconsider. First of all, if your clothing case is also a rolling case, how will you roll both of them comfortably? You could piggy back the smaller one, but then you'd have quite a bit of weight to contend with. Wheels and handles add several pounds to a bag. Remember you can't always roll it, too. Sometimes you will have to lift/carry, such as stairs and putting into overhead bins. It's all easy to over-pack rolling bags, forgetting the foregoing reality.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could I make a suggestion? Could you put everything you want to pack in a single case and see if you could comfortably lift it overhead as you'll need to for overhead storage? If not, a single case may not be the best option.

I've used the Pelican 1510 that also meets FAA size limits. On a few occassion I had to check it flying regional a/c that had no overhead storage to speak of. In this case I prefer the Pelican material to metal as it will be treated as luggage and not a camera case.

I use the optional foam/velcro dividers and have been very happy with it. It is also my home storage packed with renewable dessicant.

If you consider Pelican, avoid the Pick and Pluck foam. It's self plucking then becomes useless.

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify. Clothes, etc. will get packed in a checked bag. And I'm not planning on a rolling bag for walking around in a city. Just for the long distance travel. What I wanted to do was take out the insert from the Hadley Pro and use it in a rolling bag for travel with computer, etc., and the personal things I am talking about are maybe a magazine a candy bar and some medicines that I need to carry on.

The shell of the Hadley goes in the checked luggage. When I walk around I would use the Hadley but never carry everything, just a body and a lens or two, etc. Not computer or anything else. I can manage that. Someone directed me to Pelican 181 -- soft sided roller. Anyone have any experience with it?

You should look at Think Tank, particularly the Urban Disguise range. They are not only superb tough bags, but designed with travel in mind, so they can be fitted to normal suitcase trolleys/handles, have rain shields and can be locked. For the kit you want my guess would be the UD40 or UD50.

Steve

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify. Clothes, etc. will get packed in a checked bag.

So I'll reiterate: When you have both bags in your possession, i.e. before and after you check the larger one, how do you and your back contemplate dealing with 2 rolling bags? One in each hand? Piggy back the smaller one on the larger one (make sure it has some attachment provision for that)? A handle and a set of wheels adds about 3-4 lbs on average, regardless of the size/weight of the bag (wheels and handles are all about the same). On the size of bag you're talking about, it's nearly doubling the filled weight. When you do need to lift it or carry it (up stairs, for example) I think you will regret it. I say that from experience.

What I would suggest is a non-wheeled bag, which has a clip-on shoulder strap. Ditch whatever strap comes with it, and get yourself an OP-TECH S.O.S. strap (B&H have them in 2 sizes). These have stretchy center pads that act like a shock absorber. I've got them on every bag I own, camera and otherwise, and everyone I've recommended them to has been delighted.

So I'll reiterate: When you have both bags in your possession, i.e. before and after you check the larger one, how do you and your back contemplate dealing with 2 rolling bags? One in each hand? Piggy back the smaller one on the larger one (make sure it has some attachment provision for that)? A handle and a set of wheels adds about 3-4 lbs on average, regardless of the size/weight of the bag (wheels and handles are all about the same). On the size of bag you're talking about, it's nearly doubling the filled weight. When you do need to lift it or carry it (up stairs, for example) I think you will regret it. I say that from experience.

What I would suggest is a non-wheeled bag, which has a clip-on shoulder strap. Ditch whatever strap comes with it, and get yourself an OP-TECH S.O.S. strap (B&H have them in 2 sizes). These have stretchy center pads that act like a shock absorber. I've got them on every bag I own, camera and otherwise, and everyone I've recommended them to has been delighted.

Thanks. I am traveling with my wife on one trip, and a really large family group plus my wife on another. We check the big bags and they have rollers. We've also resorted to redcaps at times - but obviously not for personal carry on bags. Talking here solely about my camera gear. Shoulder is less desirable than wheels. Just for getting through an airport. Heathrow for example where some of the gates are (or seem to be) a mile away.

Thanks. I am traveling with my wife on one trip, and a really large family group plus my wife on another. We check the big bags and they have rollers. We've also resorted to redcaps at times - but obviously not for personal carry on bags. Talking here solely about my camera gear. Shoulder is less desirable than wheels. Just for getting through an airport. Heathrow for example where some of the gates are (or seem to be) a mile away.

Ah, now I understand how you plan to avoid having to roll 2 bags at the same time: make your wife roll the huge suitcase full of clothes, while you roll your little one with just camera gear. :p

Ah, now I understand how you plan to avoid having to roll 2 bags at the same time: make your wife roll the huge suitcase full of clothes, while you roll your little one with just camera gear. :p

Exactly. I am lucky in many ways but luckiest about my wife. We have known each other for almost 50 years and have been married for 43. Knowing my back, she will not let me lift a big bag

I nominate the Think Tank Airport TakeOff

Airport TakeOff™ Camera Backpack, Rolling Camer Bag- Think Tank

It's both US/Europe carryon approved and has integrated back pack

straps for times the roller is inappropriate. Plenty of dividers, padding

and top notch workmanship.

Tad pricy, but I expect it to last a long time with heavy usage.

dick

• 2 years later...
Airport AirStream™ Roller Camera Bag - Think Tank

I have been looking at this one from Think Tank....

I travel frequently to commissions and have both the Airport International v.2 and the Airport Airstream.

Be aware that the Airport International v.2 is too large for most European maximum sizes of carry-on baggage and the Airport Airstream is too large for regional flights on smaller aircraft such as FlyBe and Aer Lingus ATR72's and weights are strictly monitored with these aircraft at check-in and increasingly often at the gate (7kg max!).

If I were the OP and as he already has a Billingham, I'd be looking at what to leave out and use that. Is it really necessary to take a MBA and iPad and is the fourth or fifth lens really worth taking?

OP here. I ended up with a Tenba Roadie II, which is just fine. I also have smaller rolling bags that are not camera bags and often take out the insert from my Billingham Hadley and put it in the smaller rolling bag and use it for transport (i.e. for air travel). Then the shell of the Billigham gets packed in a suitcase so when I arrive I have a bag to use for walking around. Works for me.

• Like 1