I love my M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bump

Second time my M4 as appeared, getting a bit cocky ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Do you know if anyone sells the original data insert strips? Or, do you use clear acetate and cut it down to size? I'm trying to figure out how these can operate in today's world. Thx

ps: your M4 looks great!

Even if you found an MD film loading plate that accepts the strips, the strips will not work on the standard M2 or M4 camera because the camera's film transport platform has a machined strip that allows the strip to insert in front of the film.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think I have posted enough pictures of my M4, but I've noticed something... My rewind crank doesn't have the "R" and the arrow, it's completely blank. Do you M4 aficionados know if any were produced like this or has the crank been replaced at some point? The camera certainly has its share of bumps and scratches so I wouldn't be surprised if it had been.

my 1968 m4 has the r and arrow on the rewind knob and by the lever as well ....

By the lever? My 1967 M4 is as shown on the Wiki M4 page. I noticed that my M7 is devoid of markings until the handle is flipped into the rewind position, when a little triangular marking becomes visible on the underside.

• 3 months later...

Hello mikeleng,

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice photos in #61 above. Nice camera.

Hello Everybody,

I wonder why no one has written on this "I Love My M4" Thread for a while?

M4's are perfectly nice cameras.

Perhaps this Thread should move into the "M Analog" section along w/ the "M'3's", etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

perhaps the stewards of the forum can do that, you are right on all accounts. i have an m4 and think it is a great camera, more modern in loading, love the frame lines, and the handling. last one made the old fashioned way as well. it is, in fact, pushing my m9 into second, except in the dark :)

Hello sblitz,

Also the first "M", along with its companion MDa, to have the more universally used "PC" (Prontor-Compur) receptacles for flash plugs. These replaced the more robust but less popular receptacles used on M's: D,1, 2 & 3. No hot shoe until the M5 which has 3 separate flash circuits. Each independent of the other.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 1 month later...

I thought I should revive this thread a bit. I have recently begun using my M4 a lot. In fact I rarely bring my TTL when I leave the house. Sure, it's more challenging to estimate exposure but at the same time it offers a non-flaring VF, silky smooth operation and slightly smaller form factor.

8388260006_76b0b3bb03_c.jpg

M4 with 90 Elmarit-M | Flickr

• Like 10

Great looking M4s, guys!

re: metering. i use the free iphone app or a gossen digisix or sekonic l308s just to get an idea of the light at the start or if it changes siginificantly; but i find it all works out just fine. this is with BW/colour negative film. with slide film, which I haven't shot since K64 went out of production, i used to meter just about every shot. i find that using a M without an in-camera meter is less distracting than having the red metering info blink in the VF of a metered M.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my tool of choice, a BP M4 from 1969, and a picture taken with it... :)

• Like 15

Hej Alexander, that's a beautiful M4!

Is that the strap that came with the camera?

When I had mine serviced not long ago I was told that I shouldn't use the M6 strap I had because the strap lugs are of a softer metal and can be worn down by that strap.

• Like 1

Already posted somewhere in the forum, and my favorite M4

• Like 7