I love my M4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new here.  Can anyone here please tell me why my newly acquired near mint M4 is numbered M4 - 331A  ???  

Is it a prototype?  I see another similar in the thread above numbered 1177 - but without an 'A'.   Can anyone please explain?  

Thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, so here it is...

I recently acquired at a local auction.  The serial number is odd, especially with the suffix - A.  Does anyone know if it is a prototype or perhaps a special batch order...?  Comments appreciated....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

"A" here means "Attrape" that type of numbering was for "Dummy" camera (or for display, not functioning camera).

But if this M4 has all functions, the top plate could be exchanged from a "dummy M4" top plate.

Like the M3 in the link of old LUF thread, here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/58098-leica-m3-attrape-but-fully-functionnal/

• Like 3

So based on the very helpful information here (thanks) I've managed to do some research.  The wax seal is intact and is a 'C' for Canada, indicating this M4 was one of only a few made in Canada - late in its production run.  It works perfectly and has little signs of use.  Perhaps it was repurposed for Leica staff in Canada as I read elsewhere with these working dummies?  Very interesting body but too rare for me as I want a shooter, not a museum piece.  Off to eBay it goes, with a simple M4 for me. 

So based on the very helpful information here (thanks) I've managed to do some research. The wax seal is intact and is a 'C' for Canada, indicating this M4 was one of only a few made in Canada - late in its production run. It works perfectly and has little signs of use. Perhaps it was repurposed for Leica staff in Canada as I read elsewhere with these working dummies? Very interesting body but too rare for me as I want a shooter, not a museum piece. Off to eBay it goes, with a simple M4 for me.

I find that not very smart. You just bought it, price will go up steadily, more than your savings on a bankaccount, even if you use it. This happens with all M4’s, special or not Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought an M4 as a companion for my M-A.  I sent it right off for a CLA since it had no documented service history, but I immediately fell in love with it so figured it made sense to post in this thread :)  Looking forward to getting it back and running my first roll of film through it.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. It has been quite a while me snooping around in this magnificent forum. Here is my beloved Leica M4-P. I have also a Nokton lens for it, but somehow, this Elmar inspires me the most:

Edited by zanxion72
  • Like 4

I recently got my new-to-me M4 back from a CLA at YYe and finally got out with it this weekend.  It felt great, loved shooting with it.  Hopefully I can find the time to get out again in the next few days and finish off the roll, I'd love the see the results.   

Loving my M4... :)

On 6/24/2018 at 9:24 AM, michaelm3 said:

This is my new M4 and I love it!

Cheers

Michael

Hello Michael,

Failed to notice this...in june.

Very early serial number of this beautiful M4 , ... 097

M4 first serial number # 1 175 001

• Like 3