I love my M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Completely agree. Stupid actually that I unlearned my M4 way of shooting since I work with digital M's. Probably because I lost my reference of 100Delta and 400Tri-X with the different ISO-scales of digital M's. Now with the M10 this can come back again.

Is it possible to switch off the metering in the M10?

No it's just like an M7, you see either the shutter time in de VF or arrows and a bullit to indicate the 'right' exposure. Which doesn't mean that you can't ignore these leds. The M10 has as much latitude as modern films I figure

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations - very nice.

To answer your question - the non re-setting shot counter on the M2 would drive me nuts and would lead me to the M4. But if you're used to it or it doesn't bother you, then the M2 is a little prettier than the M4 with all metal advance lever, self timer and frameline selector. To me, the difference in the rewind cranks is not significant.

Do they feel different in use? 

• Like 1

Congratulations - very nice.

To answer your question - the non re-setting shot counter on the M2 would drive me nuts and would lead me to the M4. But if you're used to it or it doesn't bother you, then the M2 is a little prettier than the M4 with all metal advance lever, self timer and frameline selector. To me, the difference in the rewind cranks is not significant.

Do they feel different in use?

I've used (in time order) m6 m7 m2 m3 and now the m4

So the m4 is nothing too new.

But I have to admit after 3 years shooting with m2, the quick loading of m4 is something quite nice.

I should add that I have a 35 summaron 2.8 on the mail, so I will have 2 setups to shoot with my beloved focal length 35mm.

• Like 4

Don't know the M2, but several things made me prefer the M4 above the M3:

- film transport handle is sweet in my hands whereas the metal in M2/3 irritates my thumb. I can carry the body when I hook my thumb in the handle, I never found that very comfortable in M2/3

- film rewind knob is slow, unhandy in M3/2

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm fortunate to have both an M2 and an M4. The M2 was fully CLA-d by Kanto Camera, and some parts were replaced, so it works with a silky smoothness, and the shutter is whisper quiet. The M4 operates a little more stiffly, and the shutter is more shrill and metallic sounding. I think those differences come down to a well-used camera which has been serviced, versus a little used one which hasn't.

Personally, I like the self-resetting shot counter of the M4, but I prefer the rewind knob of the M2. And I prefer the loading of the M2. It's slower, but absolutely secure. I suppose the camera which comes closest to the best of the M2 and M4 combined, is the M-A.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colint544
  • Like 11

My first M4! In great condition. I think we will be very happy together :-)

Edited by blans
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A Sum

I'm still looking for a nice everyday lens. Perhaps a 50/2.0 or a 50/2.5

The other two will be 28mm and 90/2.8

A Summaron 35/2.8 without goggles would suit your silver M4 perfectly and not just cosmetically, great lens!

• Like 2

I think the M2 beats every other M, looks wise.. ..from a practical point-of-view, I prefer the 'solid' advance lever and - in a way that may mean I miss some shots - the slowness of the film loading and rewinding.

I agree. the M2 wins for looks. I got to hold one (as well as an M3) recently in an old camera store in Chicago. The M2 was like 'buttah' so smooth. The M3 was too, but I was enamored with the M2. 

• Like 1

I agree. the M2 wins for looks. I got to hold one (as well as an M3) recently in an old camera store in Chicago. The M2 was like 'buttah' so smooth. The M3 was too, but I was enamored with the M2.

I'm yet to bond with my BP M4. I will, but I do love my M2. The M4 is like a comfy, fast GT, to the track ready M2 ;)

• Like 1

Might as well jump onto this wagon and post a photo of my M4 cameras.

Stupidly, I did not look at this M4 post before or I would have included the 4th Black one which I sold to a friend yesterday. He has lusted for one of these for many years, so today he is a happy man! The four would have made a great ensemble in a photo!

Anyway, here are the remaining three from 1969/70, one with my 1957 50mm 'Rigid' instead of a BP 50 lens.

Oh, and yes, they are splendid cameras. I think I like them better than the M6 'Classic' I had for 25 years.

• Like 13

My two.

• Like 6