I love my M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was being deliberately cheeky and I do understand why the original instruction around the camera not having an ISO setting came about (there was a similar thread elsewhere I think). I hope no offence was taken I meant it in good spirit.

I took your post in good spirit and look forward to more. Thanks for that.

Hello Greg,

Given that your subjects are right near you: Have you ever given any thought to incident metering?

Incident metering is relatively fast & is usually reasonably accurate.

Another thought: Which film were you using & what ISO was it set at?

Best Regards,

Michael

I always use incident as opposed to reflected metering. I think I just got it wrong in some instances with this first roll. Having spoken with the lab, they confirmed that they were significantly under exposed.

The film stock was Kodak-Tri X 400.

I took your post in good spirit and look forward to more. Thanks for that.

I'm glad. I'm not remotely an inherent troll and am glad it wasn't taken as suh.

Small points: If your meter uses a battery, then check its condition. Always point the meter's dome from the subject toward the camera. The dome reads highlights and shadows together. Very good choice for metering.

Stay in touch!

• Like 2

33495789325_9e0077a70e_b.jpgUntitled 2 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

33154749650_3331cbe5b7_b.jpgBrighton Beach by Greg Turner, on Flickr

32694819054_52f3048237_b.jpgChairs by Greg Turner, on Flickr

So much as I like these images, my experience of the M4 was severely tempered by its lack of an internal meter. In order to use it the way I really want to use it, I need an internal meter so sadly I've passed on the M4 and will be looking for something with a meter, perhaps an M6 or M7 or even a Zeiss Ikon ZM

• Like 2

Hey all! 

First post in the forums, so hi! 

I actually had an M2 for a brief spell, but succumbed to gear lust and swapped it for a Contax G2 Millennium Kit, which I thoroughly enjoyed and made some lovely photos with during a recent trip in Vietnam. Lo and behold gear lust hit once more and I soon realised I missed the bulletproof build quality and sheer style of the Leica M. 

To me the M4 is the prettiest of all Leica Ms. There's something about that beautiful top script and lovely chunky advance lever (the M6 one looks anaemic in comparison) that really does it for me. 

Like many of you guys I just love the look of the black paint film Leica's and spotted a beautiful repainted M4 at Red Dot Cameras in London. I checked the serial number and the camera was manufactured exactly 50 years ago this year! Any excuse I guess! I am a happy happy boy indeed.  

I daresay I will hold onto this one for a little bit longer than the last... Think I made the mistake of grabbing the M2 a bit too early on my learning curve. I will take the time to really learn this piece of kit this time 

DSCF3182

Leica and Rolleiflex SL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Aasten,

welcome to the forum and welcome to M4 lovers. The black ones are great but for me the regular chrome M4 is a beauty, and perhaps even more importantly: it works so nicely and quietly! Which goed for may other analogue M's as well of course...

Lex

• Like 1

Hey Sandro! Thanks for having me! Totally agree on the quiet aspect. Having just traded it for a G2 Millennium, the sound difference is night and day, and the sense of ruggedness compared to the "one splash of water away from being the world's most expensive brick" G2 has given me a lot of reassurance to go out and shoot recently  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine. I love the black paint. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Here is mine. I love the black paint. 

That looks so cool.

I just scored a chrome version in really good user condition!

I can't wait to see how different it is compared to my M3 and M6.

Edited by plaidshirts

• 4 weeks later...

I've just yesterday acquired my first M4 - a 50 year edition. I'm a hobbyist (not a very good one) coming from digital and was attracted to the idea of  "no batteries whatsoever"...... but I am rather doubtful about my ability to get exposure right. (I've been testing myself using a phone app). Looking forward to wasting film..... The camera is in ridiculously good condition for a 40 year old. 

I've just yesterday acquired my first M4 - a 50 year edition. I'm a hobbyist (not a very good one) coming from digital and was attracted to the idea of  "no batteries whatsoever"...... but I am rather doubtful about my ability to get exposure right. (I've been testing myself using a phone app). Looking forward to wasting film..... The camera is in ridiculously good condition for a 40 year old.

Congratulations and join my club :). Ilford XP2 is very patient with you and scans easier than a silver film

• Like 1

...rainy day in Berlin...gave me the chance to take a picture of my loved M4...

• Like 1

...another one, shoot on 4x5'-Film...

Arca Swiss - Fomapan100 - D76 - V800

• Like 2

IMHO M4 bodies ROCK! Had to sell mine after 46 years when I needed the cash for a medical emergency. Got back in with an M2 which needed a little TLC. Still, I think the M4 is the best, in my eyes. of all. Had an M6 for a few years along with the M4...really disliked it. As far as the metering thing...if you have gray matter between your ears and aren't blind, you don't need it, except for extreme circumstances - especially with B&W film which has quite a bit of latitude. I did Kodachrome slides for years w/o a meter, thought a meter might improve things, and found that they just got in the way of rational thinking and analyses. If you really need a meter, get an incident reading one and forget reflective metering. Personally, you can do as well with something like the free (Google it) Jiffy Exposure Calculator.

• Like 2

IMHO M4 bodies ROCK! Had to sell mine after 46 years when I needed the cash for a medical emergency. Got back in with an M2 which needed a little TLC. Still, I think the M4 is the best, in my eyes. of all. Had an M6 for a few years along with the M4...really disliked it. As far as the metering thing...if you have gray matter between your ears and aren't blind, you don't need it, except for extreme circumstances - especially with B&W film which has quite a bit of latitude. I did Kodachrome slides for years w/o a meter, thought a meter might improve things, and found that they just got in the way of rational thinking and analyses. If you really need a meter, get an incident reading one and forget reflective metering...

Completely agree. Stupid actually that I unlearned my M4 way of shooting since I work with digital M's. Probably because I lost my reference of 100Delta and 400Tri-X with the different ISO-scales of digital M's. Now with the M10 this can come back again.