Sporadic vertical lines in M8.2

philipotto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update:

Last year I sent the camera to New Jersey where they replaced the CCD.

On a recent trip the line showed up again. Similar situation to last time: they showed up in the same place on several consecutive shots and I haven't seen them since.

It seems that the possibilities include:

Allendale made a mistake and didn't replace my sensor.

The problem wasn't with the sensor.

The new sensor they put in was defective.

Any ideas?

(Please forgive the mediocrity of the attached example)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the vertical line problems a few months ago....

Off to Solms, hoping for a re-mapping

Nope...

new sensor needed...cost-around 700 euro

Leica offers the sensor free, they charge the amount mentioned for the time of the repair....

i got my camera in 2009, i use in a moderate way, i think less then 15000 actuations,

Maybe bad luck, but i lost my trust in digital leica...

After return and repair i will try to sell it and get a M6 back...

Im really disapointed....

Ah well..i had some fun with the camera, and still think it produces amazing files...

Edited by Frank Black

The point is, unfortunately, that sensor mapping is only possible up to a certain percentage of pixels, after that the whole thing is out of tolerance and must be replaced. As the problem is basically not a camera issue but a bad luck scenario caused by external factors, I think it is rather decent by Leica to offer to go halves on an out of guaranty camera. Many other manufacturers would have hit your with the full price. I do not quite see the economics of refusing a 700 $ repair on a 7000 $ camera and taking a hit of thousands by selling it in defect condition.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

The point is, unfortunately, that sensor mapping is only possible up to a certain percentage of pixels, after that the whole thing is out of tolerance and must be replaced. As the problem is basically not a camera issue but a bad luck scenario caused by external factors, I think it is rather decent by Leica to offer to go halves on an out of guaranty camera. Many other manufacturers would have hit your with the full price. I do not quite see the economics of refusing a 700 $ repair on a 7000 $ camera and taking a hit of thousands by selling it in defect condition.

I totally agree Jaap....

Rather decent of Leica, my thanks to them ...

And i will repair the camera, of course,i did not refuse and thank them for the offer,in a letter...

Im just disapointed it happened...

I was thinking what might had happened...

Crazy tought

Stepping out a coldish pressurized plane, to a altitude of around 4000 meters in the Himalayas?

Its just a tought i had...

No criticism for Leica in this matter, just surprised that so many sensors go wrong....

Regards Jaap...:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, yes, CCD sensors seem to be a bit more susceptible than CMos to pixel defects. Maybe to do with photosite size, maybe with corrective on-sensor electronics, stuff for experts...

Let's hope you get the extended guaranty on this repair - if nothing else, that would boost the sales price.

• Like 1