Filter Size for M Summicron

Roger Pellegrini

In the case of threaded filters, they all use 39mm filters. "E39" just means 39mm with the standard 0.75 thread pitch which is designated as "E" which is what Leica and all modern lens makers use. Older lenses did use filters with different pitches, Nikon RF's, for example. But for a modern lens, including Leica's, they will use the standard pitch.

There are some exceptions. For example, the 35mm Summicron version 3 does not have filter threads. Instead, you need to get the correct matching shade which is made in two pieces. You unscrew the front from the back and drop in a threadless series 7 filter.

Here is a very useful reference for Leica lenses.

. "E39" just means 39mm with the standard 0.75 thread pitch which is designated as "E" which is what Leica and all modern lens makers use..

That's interesting.

I thought pitch was 0.50 and not 0.75.

At least for the 39s.

And I thought E stood for Einschraub; screw in.

Christer is right, of course. "E" stands for Einschraub – "screw-in", while most screw-thread lenses took "A" filters – for Aufschub, "push-on".

And E39 filters do in fact use 0.5mm pitch. Larger filters use 0.75mm. The transition is not clean however; B+W supply 41mm filters in both 0.5 and 0.75mm pitch.

The old man again

Wizard's statement is true.

However, Aufschubfilter is really a great idea.

My M7 lacks what my IIIG has: a Vorlaufwerk. (My computer translates this into "leading factory" but I rather doubt that is correct.) The common name in German is "Selbstauslöser". I often miss this device.

Now think what an Aufschubfilter (correctly translated by my computer into "delay filter") could do if used on an M7. You attach it to the lens and after a certain delay, the length of which would depend on the filter factor, it makes an exposure. You could easily make pictures of yourself. If you so wished. ?