new user woes

photosbyles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

when the M8 was announced I started dreaming Leica. I've always wanted one, and was raised believing they were one of the best if not the best 35 on the planet for a long time. I thought I'd look about for an M-6 to play with and get back into film again - its been a long time since I've shot film. So I drove about 120 miles to my favorite photo store I know sells Leica and inquired about renting one to make a more informed purchase decision. They had a beautiful M-7 with the .58 viewfinder and a 35/2 ASPH attached. I started breathing heavy :D I paid the week's rental and the owner threw in a few rolls of film for me to play. He showed me how to load the film and I was off with wife and grandbaby.

Five rolls of film later, and I"m questioning my amateur abilities... So far, 3 rolls of black and white (1 of Tri-x 400 and 2 of Kodak T Max 100) failed to expose altogether. 2 color rolls of some kodak max 800 seem to have developed ok, but have a washed out look to them I didn't expect.

My shooting the past 24 hours or so have been primarily in the auto exposure mode; shutter speed set to automatic, dx set to 0, and f stop usually in the f4 - 11 range.

I'm a little frustrated right now. I would hate to think I'm just not rangefinder material ;)

Anyone have a recommendation or two? I even read through the instruction booklet before my second roll of film :D

thanks,

Les

Bath, NC

If the camera is not broken, those settings will yield perfect exposures 95+% of the time, presuming all your shots are not back-lighted. That lens and viewfinder version are also a hot set-up, far better than you will get with an M8 .68. Shoot another test roll of C-41 pro color, maybe Portra 160 NC or 400 NCand take it too a REAL lab in your area, one that does processing for local wedding photographers. If none of this roll is properly exposed, you have a duff camera. Get your rental $$$ back.

A Leica is a tool. It will not make you a photographer. If you have any talent, it ought to accelerate the learning curve considerably provided you see the way the camera does.

Good Luck!

Please forgive me if I get to remedial, no offense is intended but a few basics need to be covered just to be sure.

You say that 3 rolls of B&W failed to expose altogether. Where the negs all blank? If so, it sounds like the film didn't catch and wind forward ... did you watch the film rewind crank to make sure it was winding on? It's that, or you left the lens cap on which you can't see happening with a rangefinder (it happens).

Also, these were real B&W films NOT the C-41 type that can be processed in the same chemistry as color rolls. Does the lab you took them to do real B&W neg processing?

The washed out look from the Kodak 800 film may just be bad processing of the negs and or proofs. Are the negs overly dense? Try a better lab and don't use a consumer film like that Kodak Max for the next test roll. Portra 400 CN or the Fuji equivalent will be a better choice for this purpose.

Yeah, you're right William, IF he knew what the flashing lights meant. Probably not the cause though since Les did get something with the color film. Sounds more like the film didn't catch ... which is possible until you get the feel of loading the Ms down pat.

I also wonder if the lab tried to process real B&W film with color C-41 chemestry? Not a lot of labs do real B&W anymore, and it could have been a mistake. I wonder what that'd do to real B&W films?

Also, as a long shot, do all Kodak Max rolls have the DX coding on the canister? I remember buying some imported Kodak neg film in Miami once that didn't have it. Les' M7 camera could have defaulted to ISO 100 and over expose his ISO 800 negs.

Where's Sherlock Holmes when you need him? : -)

Where's Sherlock Holmes when you need him? : -)

In Franklin, Michigan, I presume? :)

The thought of processing B&W in C-41! :eek: No time for FP4 myself, but never did trust anyone to develop my negs. Printing either.

No DX? Never bought film in a grocery store! :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I didn't leave the lens cap on, but I did take the film to a local drug store chain for processing; and now I don't know if they use the c-41 process or not. I'll try a real lab this time :)

I also watched the film advance observing the rewind spool, but was at a total loss when the b&w was shown to me unexposed.

thanks again all. I'll try a couple more rolls before I take it back to the shop.

Les

Bath, NC

Hmmm sounds suspiciously like the developing - however, it might be worth checking the battery too. Another obvious point but maybe the shop hasn't changed them for a while and the shutter/meter aren't operating correctly.

Does the M7 have a red light for the battery in the VF?

Don't have any advice beyond what's already been said Les.

What little I do know I've learned mostly from William.

Hang in there. The cameras are great...well-worth the teething pains.

Thanks.

Allan

Guest Bernd Banken

As a completely M6 rooky I found a hint how to prevent the filmtongue slipping without grip in the chamber:

Just fold the top end of the tongue 2 - 3 times as a zig-zag VV of just 2-3mm each. This works as small hooks for selfblocking.

After you close the bottom flap release 2 - 3 times the shutter and then wind softly backwards until you feel a certain tension. When you pull the lever the winding knob starts turning - the grip of film is there.

As for B/W film of c41 process a photoshop I dropped in didn't realize that is was B/W but process for color C41.... A short discussion started up immeditately:D

After more than thirty years I could'nt resist the developing my first roll of HP5 and the result is not so bad...;)

Keep going!

Cheers

Bernd

shot of Jan. 1. 2007 "A day in the....."

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

I didn't leave the lens cap on, but I did take the film to a local drug store chain for processing; and now I don't know if they use the c-41 process or not. I'll try a real lab this time :)

I also watched the film advance observing the rewind spool, but was at a total loss when the b&w was shown to me unexposed.

thanks again all. I'll try a couple more rolls before I take it back to the shop.

Les

Bath, NC

Les, like others have suggested the Tri-x could have gone though the C41 chemistry, has the B&W film got Kodak trademark and frame numbers? If it hasn't and is totally clear (including the rebates), it went through the wrong chemistry.

Mark

I really want to believe I loaded the film correctly, but as I began paying more attention to make sure both sides of the takeup spool had engaged both sides of the film, I was more and more sure I was loading successfully. I could have misloaded my first roll. The Tri-X was completely clear on the developed film.

The Eckerd's drug store I originally took my film exclusively uses the C-41 process, and B&W film I purchased there, some 400 CN version stated not to use B&W chemical processing but use C-41 only, and it developed just fine. I'm amazed, since being away from film for so long, someone's found a way to use a color processing method to develope B&W negatives.

Again everyone, thanks for your assistance and recommendations. I've returned the M-7 to the dealer and still have a couple rolls of film to get developed in the next day or so. I'll try to post a couple of photos. Fair warning though, don't expect more than test snapshots :) I am a happy amateur.

Les

Bath, NC

I'll try to post a couple of photos. Fair warning though, don't expect more than test snapshots :) I am a happy amateur.

Les

Bath, NC

No worries Les.

If you could have seen my shots the first six months....

Oy!

Hang around here and the good people on this board will make you better...guaranteed.

Thanks.

Allan