Sign in to follow this  
Bmorena

To modify a 40 summicron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They are, but I don't know of any lens, especially an older one, that does not show some quality falloff to the corners. This lens compares well to any other lens, even the Summicron asph in the matter of corner falloff. Don't forget this is pixel-peeping on a torture level.

According to Erwin Puts the lens is at a level "between the Summicron 35 vers.III and vers. IV". Which is plenty good in my book.

Edited by jaapv

I agree, this is pixel peeping

and torture is probably the right word;)

And I am very pleased with it also as stated above.

Edited by Erik Gunst Lund

"...Reminds me of a 'cure' by a backyard automobile 'mechanic' who, when his wife complained that her engine was making strange noises, advised her to turn the volume of her radio up....."

Or, wearing a rubber glove to "fix" a leaking fountain pen.

Brian,

The M8 frame lines, as you probably know, are set to show the field of view at 1 m distance. This means that at greater distances the finder shows more than what will be in the image (unless you got the finder upgrade). So - the 50mm frame lines may be a better match for the 40mm Summicron on the M8 with original frame lines.

Jan

I think I understand what is meant, but technically speaking, that at greater distances the finder shows less than what will be in the image. This is why the most restrictive view with the VF framelines is at minimum focus, in order to not have a cropped photo at other distances.

I'm almost sold on the 40/2, as I always wanted an ideal normal focal length on full frame at about 43mm. Pentax made that 43mm LTM, but it is more of a collectors lens, and I think it was suspected to have IQ falloff from the center, as well.

(snip)

I'm almost sold on the 40/2, as I always wanted an ideal normal focal length on full frame at about 43mm. Pentax made that 43mm LTM, but it is more of a collectors lens, and I think it was suspected to have IQ falloff from the center, as well.

I have a copy of that Pentax-L 43/1.9 and find that at apertures of f2.8 and lower it is definitely weaker in the borders than in the center. At f4 and above it sharpens up nicely. Overall I think it is comparable to or slightly better than my Summicron-C 40, but my Summicron 50 (IV) blows both of these lenses away. As a hardcore Pentax fancier this is hard for me to admit...

Regards, Jim

Interesting. According to Erwin Puts the perfomance of the Summicron C is comparable to other Summicrons of the period.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...my Summicron 50 (IV) blows both of these lenses away...

My 50/2 # 11819 (with focus tab) is not significantly sharper than the 40/2 but has less flare than the latter which is closer to the 35/2 IV from this standpoint.

I think that my Summicron-C 40 should be in top shape, as it just came back from a visit to DAG for 6-bit coding and interior cleaning to remove slight haze. Don did not adjust the focusing, as he felt it was already OK.

I don't know why my Summicron 50 (IV) performs so well - it is absolutely the best of my many M lenses, including several earlier Summicron 50s. Don added 6-bit coding to it and said that the focusing was spot-on. When I tested my new Summilux 50 ASPH against it, the 'Lux was enough poorer that I sent it back to Leica for service. I guess I'll keep it!

Regards, Jim

Edited by jamesk8752