To modify a 40 summicron

Bmorena

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These are shot with APS-C sized sensor :o that means that the corners I'm talking about on a Leica M8 are cropped off, there is a rather large difference between a 1.5 and 1,3 crop.

BTW I asked for upper left corner, but I would guess it's OK on the R1ds,,,, The picture is rather difficult to judge at 50%

Edited by Erik Gunst Lund

Never noticed any problem in 20+ years with my film Ms or when i tested the M8 a couple of years ago but i'm no pixel peeper so i may have missed something i don't know. What you say surprises me though given that R-D1s microlenses are not as good as M8's. This is obvious with lenses like CV 15 or 21 for instance. I would have thought that the 40/2 is problem free from this standpoint.

Any haze or separation re the glass definitely needs a CLA not the case here though :)

Your captures are very sharp, clean and contrasty so you sample(s) must be fine!

I do a lot of tinkering with lenses, my good friend Bjørn Rørslett has supplied me with CPU's for MF Nikkors, I have also helped him and many others on NikonGear CPU chipping their lenses.

I CPU chipped ny Noct Nikkor and during the process it got rater hazy inside, so a complete rebuild of the glass was needed, even the apperture blades and the ball bearing for the aperture ring ;)

Another project was the legendary Voigtlander APO Lanthar 125/2.5 The best SLR macro lens. I got a Canon FD mount version of the lens rather cheap and converted it to Nikon F-mount, ie reversing the aperture lever action and adjusting the movement to worg as a G-Type Nikkor lens.

Sorry for the rambling:rolleyes:

Did you use one on your M9? Any pic with it? I would like to see how it renders re: vignetting compared to 35mm lenses.
I'll upload some. For carrying around it is my standard lens, except when the summilux 50 asph is called for. I'm going to sell a couple of 35 mm lenses.
  • Like 1

I think this is a nice one to judge vignetting from :) No corrections, a straight conversion. This is at 2.0

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv

Nothing wrong with the resolution either: Btw these are M9 shots.

Edited by jaapv

The best coding would be the Summilux 35 pre-sph, but there is no coding for that one, just a menu selection. I coded it as a Summicron 35 (old) which comes very close to the optimum. The vignetting is considerably better than on film that way. No problems in the corners at all on the M9 :)

• Like 1

Sure