weird lenses for the m9

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is the 40mm Summarit really such a lemon? it's a pretty lens!

4553584807_644766beb4_z.jpg

Summarit by Dirk | JapanExposures.com, on Flickr

A lemon, who said this? I shot with it and found it very very nice. And Erwin, well Erwin says:

"The older Summarit 2.4/40mm for the compact Leica camera Minilux was as good as the Summicron 2/50mm!" Erwin Puts

If you have a Minilux, broken or unsusable, and as long as the lens is fine, please send it over :D

is it possible to put an unmodified summicron 40 on an m9?

I have no experience with that lens. It's not "weird" enough I suppose ;)

This I found on the FM forum: "I understand that the 40 Summicron, made for the CL, has a different rangefinder cam slope and thus will have focus inaccuracies on the M cameras. "

I don't know if it is true. I use an M-Rokkor 28 on M8 with great success. Wish it brought up 28 framelines though, but since I have an Elmarit 28 I'll probably sell it.

the perar triplet just droped in! not the best light for f3.5 but the result is not to bad (although a little bit psycho :))

thanks a lot dirk for the great service (the manual lens coding didn't last the first three lens changes :))

5367347547_0d96a3e258_b_d.jpg

I have no experience with that lens. It's not "weird" enough I suppose ;)

This I found on the FM forum: "I understand that the 40 Summicron, made for the CL, has a different rangefinder cam slope and thus will have focus inaccuracies on the M cameras. "

I don't know if it is true. I use an M-Rokkor 28 on M8 with great success. Wish it brought up 28 framelines though, but since I have an Elmarit 28 I'll probably sell it.

so shopping goes on... I just ordered a summicron 40 from a seller in germany. as soon as I took the frist pictures I'll tell you, if the focus is inacurate...

damn... I have to hide the bank-account-access-infos or my wife will kill me :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the perar triplet just droped in! not the best light for f3.5 but the result is not to bad (although a little bit psycho :))

thanks a lot dirk for the great service (the manual lens coding didn't last the first three lens changes :))

Looking great! Too bad about the coding, it is a lot of effort to get right.

Super Perar arrived today, yes, I too quietly ordered one. Especially after I fell in love with the collapsable 50 Elmar.

This truly makes the M9 a pocketable camera. My particular example is TIGHT getting on and off the camera. First lens I've had like that but neither camera or lens seem worse for the wear after a few times on and off. My big paws have no focusing, but collapsing is a little challenge. It comes with a nice little lens shade which is very useful for grabbing on to when uncollapsing the lens.

Here's a few of the first shots with it. I'm still more of a 50mm guy than 35, but this is a nice "keep on the camera" lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Probably,

But look at the photos I just put on the landscape forum, the colors have been tweaked a little, but not too much. The shot of my bookshelf above seems always to come out a bit more vibrant than in real life, no matter what lens I use!!!

The shot of my truck was taken earlier today around midday, but it was heavily overcast.

My particular example is TIGHT getting on and off the camera. First lens I've had like that but neither camera or lens seem worse for the wear after a few times on and off.

Hi, these look really great, especially with the Jeep car.

Regarding the tightness, I have noticed this myself and have been trying to figure out what causes this. The metal of the M8/9 mounts is somewhat different than film Ms, where the lens mounts very smoothly and without tightness. Somehow the M8/9 mount is a little coarser causing some friction. If you have access to some light duty grease, try applying it on the back of the ring using one of these green household scrubbing pads often found on the back of sponges (I think called Scotch Brite non-scratch scrub pads). Gently of course and don't overdo it.

mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtNxM_n8TaEVuQEbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Non-Scratch_Sponge1.jpg

Re: slightly tight and course bayonet mount.

This is going to sound nuts.... but I have done it.

Get some fine valve-grinding compound at the auto-parts store.

Apply sparingly to a rear cap.

Attach and reattach the cap many times.... this is called "lapping" in the

machinist trade.

Clean off ALL the abrasive from the lens mount and try it in the camera.

Any grease here is a bad idea as it attracts grit!

There are water-base lapping compounds making it easier to clean. Cheers.

My Perar 3,5/35 has arrived yesterday. It is quite ok with the M9.

Small. Pocket size. Sure, not as good as Leica! But always in my pocket!

More samples at: Picasa Web Albums - Karl - Perar 3.5/35

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry to hear it. That's the European way - slow and expensive import processing. Unfortunately I cannot insure it for the full amount unless I also specify its value, and after Parcelforce lost one of them already I am not taking any chances. If it is any consolation, German and Italian customs are worse (the former too efficient in screening, the latter the opposite). Hope you will enjoy the lens anyway like the rest of us.

Sorry to hear it. That's the European way - slow and expensive import processing. Unfortunately I cannot insure it for the full amount unless I also specify its value, and after Parcelforce lost one of them already I am not taking any chances. If it is any consolation, German and Italian customs are worse (the former too efficient in screening, the latter the opposite). Hope you will enjoy the lens anyway like the rest of us.

Dirk - worry not. Death and taxes are the only certainties in life...

;)