weird lenses for the m9

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

About the Perar fever. Let me be sarcastic here, intentionally. And not only due to the fact that I missed the Perar because of too long thinking. It looks, according to pictures, that the lens is a nice small collapsible work of handicraft. But come on, guys, you cannot go mad about it, itching and worrying about delivery etc. Are we photographers or toy addicts? You know, Carsten's photos are good because he is a good photographer, he knows how to use light and colour and is proficient in using the camera. It is not about the particular lens. As far as I have learned, triplets are small simple lenses from the 19th century, and have considerable restrictions, therefore were replaced by other formulae in history. They are hardly wider than F/3.5, being best at F/4-F/8, and usually longer than 35mm. And they are normally limited to 30-40 lines/mm. I do hope the Perar is a best example of these by using modern glasses and knowledges. But as was already shown, the red shift issue is there. Hence the price.

By the way, how is Perar brassing? :)

Tom

• Like 1

... Where do you put it, or does it have a belt loop?

Jan, the M9 with Perar (in the shown bag) is in my hand when running, or in a pocket of my jacket on a ski tour etc. Not really lightweight, ok, but who knows, maybe my shouler and arm muscles grow now :-) Quite often I would have missed a shot, without the camera

Dear pelagia,

I have to admit that, indeed, I am a bit of a "toy addict" myself.... never grew-up

I suppose. I enjoy goofy stuff and maybe other people do as well.

I am not taking umbrage at what you say because it is true enough.

But, what-the-hell, it takes all kinds.... and I like to have fun with my camera.

Everything is of interest. But, no, I don't own a Holga...... honest! Cheers.

Hi Washington,

me too. My message was to convince myself that missing the Perar was not a tragedy ;)

But also I wanted to repeat the banal idea that it is a photographer, not a camera (or lens, sensor, pixel, half-case, body-paint etc) which makes good photos.

Good luck with your decisive moments!

Tom

I didnt notice a barrel distortion with my Perar so far, and made a test shot of our ceiling (no sea level available here...).

Carsten

Leica M9 - a set on Flickr

Hallo Carsten,

thank you for yr reply. However said that this matter is not really important as Perar's distortion is not noticeable in normal shots, if you check the shot of your ceiling you'll notice that the horizontal boards are bent upwards in the upper part of the shot and bent downwards in the lower part, the closer to the border, the more evident. Also the vertical boards look bent outwards. But again, nothing of this really matters. I pointed out that the Perar is not the most suitable lens for architectural shots, that's all.

Cheers,

Bruno

P.S. Enjoy your new toy, as you're one of those ones who got it in time! :-)

Hi Washington,

me too. My message was to convince myself that missing the Perar was not a tragedy ;)

But also I wanted to repeat the banal idea that it is a photographer, not a camera (or lens, sensor, pixel, half-case, body-paint etc) which makes good photos.

Good luck with your decisive moments!

Tom

Honestly Pelagia, between the lines clearly comes out: It is your personal tragedy you missed the Perar :) (I got one I got one I got one... nananaaaananaaa naa :p)

• Like 1

....if you check the shot of your ceiling you'll notice that the horizontal boards are bent upwards in the upper part of the shot and bent downwards in the lower part, the closer to the border, the more evident. Also the vertical boards look bent outwards....

Bruno, see this one from a german photographer, with the new 35 Lux FLE

131626795.JmFDbsUp.jpg

Leica Leica M9 - Bilder pur und bearbeitet - Seite 49 - DSLR-Forum

I dont have the new 35 Asph. FLE but I see at least the same amount of barrel distortion here than with the Perar :confused:

Cheers

Carsten

MS Super Triplet Perar 3.5/35

"White Rabbit Express" tell me they can source them:

"Luckily, we could contact to Mr. Sadoyasu Miyazaki who designed, manufactured and hand-assembled the MS Super Triplet Perar 3.5/35. He said that he has a few left in his hand."

contacto Tomoko (no, i don't work for them)

Tomoko - White Rabbit Support <support@whiterabbitexpress.com>

• Like 1

Bruno, see this one from a german photographer, with the new 35 Lux FLE

131626795.JmFDbsUp.jpg

Leica Leica M9 - Bilder pur und bearbeitet - Seite 49 - DSLR-Forum

I dont have the new 35 Asph. FLE but I see at least the same amount of barrel distortion here than with the Perar :confused:

Cheers

Carsten

Hallo Carsten,

that doesn't come as a surprise, since Leitz's 35 mms have quite a high distortion rate, all slightly less than 2%, with the only exception of the 'cron ASPH. In the sole terms of distortion, the better performers appear to be both Zeiss Biogons, especially the wider one.

But again, distortion is not a significant parameter upon which to judge a lens and NONE of the lenses above can beat the Perar's compactness. Especially in your case - as you enjoy running on tracks and need to be as light as possible - the Perar makes the difference between taking pictures and leaving the camera at home.

And if your hobby doesn't include taking systematically pictures of brick walls and façades, the distortion is unnoticeable.

If you can live with the limitation of low speed - and for your purposes it's not an issue since I suppose you go running during the day - modern glasses and design should give the Perar a huge margin over the other triplet I can remember of, i.e. the LTM Elmar 35/3.5.

Cheers,

Bruno

Following an email from MS Technical this morning my Perar is now being built! Dirk suggests there may be (are likely to be) some more later in the year.

This is my second Christmas present to myself but I was a good boy all last year (honest I was):D

Steve

In the sole terms of distortion, the better performers appear to be both Zeiss Biogons, especially the wider one.

Biogons on the other hand have significant curvature of field and greater fall-off. The shorter the lens, the more pronounced. Also, the closer the focus, the more pronounced. In normal use this curvature is no big deal since you rarely focus a lens like the ZM 21 very close - and if you do, out-of-focus edges might be a feature!, but if you use it on a crop camera where it might end up used as a 32 (APS-C), or just slightly wide of normal, you could have trouble. Normal lenses are more frequently used at closer ranges and the curvature may make controlling DOF difficult. If you're a lens tester who focuses it at the minimum distance to fit a resolution chart, even at apertures where it diffracts significantly (pretty much anything beyond f/11), you may well conclude the lens is garbage. This totally contradicts full-frame use where, when used for its designed purpose, it's excellent!

yesss... status now "packed"...

Hello, sorry to all of you who are waiting for their lenses. The truth is that I received 20 lenses today and spent the day coding and preparing to ship them, which left no time for the actual shipping. The good news is that all is ready and everyone who ordered before today will have their lens shipped tomorrow, Friday 14th.

Thank you for your patience.

Also since this thread is about weird lenses I am including some images (sorry, no M9 (yet!)).

Regards

Dirk

--

Dirk Rösler

Japan Exposures -- a personal introduction to Japanese photography

3674631408_dbb16dd3b8.jpg

4275572748_a9e4cf6909.jpg

5298186757_294673e6f5.jpg

4352432611_523a88618c.jpg

Edited by JapanExposures
  • Like 1

now that the last 10 lenses were sold, i will share an email i got from Dirk this morning. i am obviously not the only one who signed up as he asked us not to share the information with anyone for 24 hours and yet they've all been sold (and, yes, i got one :D).

moral of the story: if something says out-of-stock or sold out on his website, always sign up for email updates!

if and when he gets more in stock, he will notify you immediately. i've dealt with Dirk for years and he has always come through. truly one of the class acts in the business and a genuinely nice guy who loves photography to boot!

Dear all,

thank you for your interest in the MS Super Triplet Perar 3.5/35 lens.

I have just received a phone call from Mr Miyazaki and he has parts for a last 10 lenses which are available to purchase until stocks last at the usual location here:

japan exposures | films and more (formerly Megaperls Japan Webshop)

Please bear in mind the following: it is not our intention to generate interest or demand by making this lens appear scarce. The lens is hand-built and we only know final stock as we go along, as he assembles them. I advertised the lens as sold out early as I did not want to oversell and then disappoint people afterwards.

Please do not buy the lens for reasons of scarcity alone as there is a good possibility of a second run later in the year. If you wish to join the photographers already enjoying this lens right now, this is the last opportunity at this point in time.

In case of any questions, please contact me.

Many thanks again for your support!

Regards

Dirk

• Like 1

OK, now we all know there is only happiness when you own a Perar (I'm unhappy, mine ist stuck in customs) mybe we can get back to the original theme of this thread, thanks Dirk for showing those...what's that english one? Is the 40mm Summarit really such a lemon? it's a pretty lens!