weird lenses for the m9

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having my Perar Super Triplet on order I am curious what people are putting in front of the M9 other than the aspheric marvels from Solms or the different kinds of Cosina lenses?

Please post pictures of those combos and images taken with them. I am really curious how those exotics behave on a full frame digital....

The weirder the better!

Stefan

21mm, f2.8 Kobalux Super Wide: Great optics and build quality.

Dirty camera, just got back from using it in windy Estes Park.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

This is the Russian FED 50mm/3.5 from 1936, my grandfather's one (Elmar copy I suppose). What I like about M system is the ability to use historic lenses. Unfortunately this one would not focus properly. As I read from Wiki, "the flange to film plane distance, which Leitz standardised in 1932, also differs slightly on the early FED cameras. Each lens had to be matched to the camera for correct focusing." No surprise, as the camera and lens were produced in the Stalinist prison camps.

M9_FED_1.jpg

As you also see, I changed -- just for unexplainable fun -- M9 into M3. And fun happened. Last month in the Frankfurt airport they asked me to open the bag. "Looks like you have Leica there" a man said (I was surprised about his knowledge). I took out the camera and he said: "Wow, M3!" And then -- this is now the funniest part -- "please I want to see the battery". I showed the battery and he let me go.

Tom

The Perar is really nice :-) This is my bag for running, 7,50 € from ebay ...

5151248240_09f4a381a5_o.jpg

I've been kind of tempted by this lens (and there still seem to be copies available) - really grateful if you could comment on how it is in use + if you could post a couple of samples of the results you're getting.

Best...

Oh shoot... I checked out this:

Perar 35mm f3.5 Super Triplet & Leica M9 - Fine art photography by Jeff Laitila (Sushicam/Zen Japan)

and this:

MS Optical Super Triplet Perar 3.5/35 | japan exposures

...then had a look at the tax refund I just got and thought I can't go wrong - so now have one on order.

I'll report back on how it is in use once it's arrived.

This forum is a dangerous place to visit on a dark winter's day!

;)

now here I am wanting to buy one of these tiny perar lenses... as if I need another 35?

I am going to mount this Stereotar lens on my M9 as soon as I am happy that it doesn't protrude too far into the body. Does anyone know the maximum distance a lens can go into the M9 body before you destroy the shutter? This lens has a dividing 'septum' that goes in almost exactly 20mm... it looks by eye like it will just fit- but no way I am trying without knowing- I am thinking I may need to have the septum removed and make a smaller one to replace it:

@ Chris: before I got my M9, I didnt know what GAS means, but now... Congrats to your new acquisition :-) It is a very good optic, very sharp except the far corners, not as bitingly sharp as Aspheric Leica lenses but really very good. Takes a moment to uncollapse it, then focus is very smooth, fast, and exact. As with almost every non-Leica lens wider than 50 mm you get a red corner shift, I get rid of that in Capture One with one click, made two LCC profiles for the Perar. It vignettes, not too much, but noticeable @ f:3.5.

Here are some examples with the Perar:

One of my first ones wit hthis lens, I would have missed the shot without this tiny little gem (running with M9 and larger lenses is no fun...)

5120920065_7ff525d91f_z.jpg

larger:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/5120920065_8364559798_o.jpg

I met this shepherd on another running tour:

5224160343_78bc72434e_z.jpg

larger:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5126/5224160343_8bd4908615_o.jpg

Here you would see the red shift without LCC profile or Cornerfix

5258417571_cf24d15322_z.jpg

larger:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5258417571_24a68d2f0b_o.jpg

Same here, from a ski tour with M9/ Perar in my pocket

5311164319_053fc92892_z.jpg

larger

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5311164319_818173fd71_o.jpg

Carsten

Carsten Ranke Photography

Leica M9 - a set on Flickr

• Like 10

Carsten - thank you so much - LOVELY images. I'm really encouraged.

1/ you clearly run in places I'd think twice about walking at the moment!

2/ I'll be interested to see how post processing in Lightroom works out. Anyone else with experience on red-edge with this one?

3/ re the lens, according to their website 2/3rds of the 200 have already sold. Looks like we're going to be members of an elite club :)

Very best.

Oh shoot... I checked out this:

Perar 35mm f3.5 Super Triplet & Leica M9 - Fine art photography by Jeff Laitila (Sushicam/Zen Japan)

and this:

MS Optical Super Triplet Perar 3.5/35 | japan exposures

...then had a look at the tax refund I just got and thought I can't go wrong - so now have one on order.

;)

Thank you for pointing out those links. I was really curious about this lens. I'd say it's nice, sharp enough with even performance on the whole field and a pleasant bokeh, but from some pics of Jeff Latila I'd say it's got a noticeable barrel distortion. It's OK for general use and when weight and bulk are an issue, but better to steer clear of architectural shots. If one can live with the limited speed it makes an excellent alternative.

Cheers,

Bruno

Oh shoot... so now have one on order.

;)

So Chris, does this mean you are changing your recommendation of the best light-weight lens in the thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/157893-best-light-compact-1-lens-set.html :D

Please do let us know what you think about the Perar when it arrives. When do you expect it?

Please do let us know what you think about the Perar when it arrives. When do you expect it?

I imagine it will be a few weeks before it gets here - but I'll certainly report. Who knows if it will become the new lens cap - I doubt it, given the slowish speed + the design limitiations already mentioned. No plans to get rid of the 35 cron for the moment - but I can certainly see myself using this when I want a specific "look", and for street and general travel when I want to be able to slip an M into a jacket pocket. What fun!

PS - just heard from Dirk Rosler at Japan Exposures that there are fewer than 10 left!

Edited by chris_tribble

Man, oh man.... this thread is more fun than a barrel of monkeys! ( whoever had a

barrel of monkeys to have fun with, I wonder?) Some stunningly lovely work above!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

This monkey is messing with this right now... the rubber grooves in the lens haven't

been cleaned out yet. Need a few thou of shimming to get infinity right... not yet done.

A Killfit, Tele Kitar f5.6 300mm on Leicaflex.

S.O.B. !!!

Tom's gag about turning the M-9 into an M-3, (and you still can't use film in it),

got me to thinking about my own M-3, '55 double-stroke, which was my battle-axe

for many a year. I retired it some time ago due to the viewfinder getting dim which

I believed was due to oxidizing prism cement.

Turns out it was my old eyes expecting to see what I used to see.... with a

corrective lens in place: it's fine!!!!

( damn me, damn me, they oughta take a rope and hang me - Roger Miller)

I took it apart years ago and put an automotive crinkle paint finish on it. When the

Vulcanite broke down Sherry recovered it in deer hide or something I chose...I

forget what. Maybe it doesn't belong here, but it was this thread that caused my

"discovery".

Thanks bunches Tom!!!!