Which film and also best for scanning

woodda

The BJP published an article on this subject in August 2005, and concluded that slides do scan better than negs (unsurprisingly). Of those they tested, Fuji Astia 100F and Provia 100F got the thumbs up - though the writer stressed that it was because of their "special characteristics" more than the actual scan quality. The two Kodak emulsions tested were Ektachrome E100G and E100GX, which "scanned well at standard settings".

As for colour negs, Kodak Portra 160VC and Fuji 160C were preferred. For C-41 b&w, Kodak's film was preferred to Ilford XP2

P.S. For Darrell, the scanner used was a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED.

I have tried negative film but find Fuji Reala 100 grainy when scanned

Regards

Hi Darrell!

Welcome to the Forum!

We've had a number of discussions here about the "fourth color layer" of Fuji films that make scanning really difficult.

On the other hand, and I'll offer the caveat that I don't do my own scanning preferring to have my lab do it from the negs on their Fuji Frontier developer to CD, the shots I've posted here on Fuji Reala have gotten more positive comments about the quality of the scan than probably any other characteristic.

Odd, isn't it? I don't know if the native Fuji processing equipment knows something the Coolscan et. al. don't?

Thanks.

Allan

...Fuji 160C were preferred. For C-41 b&w, Kodak's film was preferred to Ilford XP2

I gotta' get some of that 160C and try it. I've heard other people say it is nice too. Damn stuff is expensive, though.

LOL!

:D

...from a Leica-shooter!

Personally I don't care for the Kodak C-41. The images always look kind of murky and dull to me compared to XP2.

No accounting for taste I guess.

Thanks.

Allan

Allan

On the Kodak vs Ilford C41 thing, what did you rate the Kodak at? I've found it works better rated at 200. This seems to agree with a recent AP article by Geoffrey Crawley who points out that, from the characteristic curve of these chromogenic films, they are very tolerant to over-exposure, and not very tolerant to under-exposure - better shadow details etc if over-exposed a bit.

A thought. Which film do people like to use and which gives them best scanning results.

I mainly use Fuji Astia as it is very good for skin tones and produces clean scans. I have tried negative film but find Fuji Reala 100 grainy when scanned

Regards

All current Kodak color C-41 films are optimised for scanning and show minimal grain. The negative base is also tougher than Fuji C-41 and is less prone to scratching. You might want to try some Portra 160/400 NC for starters, Portra 400 VC in low light, and Portra 160 VC and 100 UC on dull days. You won't need to worry about skin tones with the NC's as it's pro "wedding film". :)

I would have to agree with William on the excellent qualities of the Kodak Portra films. The two below were shot on Portra 160NC with a Noctilux. These are just the scans that came with the drugstore one hour prints.

The place that does my film, mentioned that they get the best results from Kodak films, so that is why I started using the Kodak Portra films. They use a modern Noritzu mini-lab which scans the negatives and then prints them onto photographic paper using a light based process. If I ask them politely they will usually do high rez scans for my image CD, rather than the smaller scans the prints are initially based on.

11190032.jpg

11680037.jpg

do you mean on Robert's son's arm and neck?

Morning Steve - yes, that's what I meant. Not sure how I could be ironic on the subject! ;) Its also visible on his face at the edge of his mouth, under his nose and eyes, and on his chin.

I'd agree its probably off the yellow slide (or whatever it is). A shame though, as my eye goes straight to it.