Angeniuex 70-210

jlancasterd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I appear to have lost the lens hood for my R-fit Angeniuex 70-210mm F3.5 zoom.

Does anyone know where I might get a replacement - or what can be used as a substitute? (I'm in UK). Fortunately I still have the special, thin, UV filter but this doesn't have an outer screw thread, so any hood will have to be a push-on fit.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has experience of using this lens with the DMR. The next time the weather is suitable I want to try it in Macro mode for wild flower close-ups with my R8-DMR - must dig out a suitable tripod...

Have you tried

http://www.angenieux.com/pages/index.php ?

If so and they couldn´t help you: why do you use a slim UV Filter on a telelens? A normal one should do it as well. Then you can take a heliopan telehood. Both, the filter and the hood you can get directly from

http://www.heliopan.de

or order it under

info@heliopan.de

As I know, best for the Angenieux would be two short black cylindrical aluminium hoods, which you can combine (as the whole inner light baffle is a screw mount). For estimated 70-120mm take one, above take both. Order number is FS-Nr.9803 plus the size of your front screw mount (72x0,75 ?).

Regards Friedhelm

Have you tried

http://www.angenieux.com/pages/index.php ?

If so and they couldn´t help you: why do you use a slim UV Filter on a telelens? A normal one should do it as well. Then you can take a heliopan telehood. Both, the filter and the hood you can get directly from

http://www.heliopan.de

or order it under

info@heliopan.de

As I know, best for the Angenieux would be two short black cylindrical aluminium hoods, which you can combine (as the whole inner light baffle is a screw mount). For estimated 70-120mm take one, above take both. Order number is FS-Nr.9803 plus the size of your front screw mount (72x0,75 ?).

Thanks Friedhelm - I'll follow these up.

I've always kept the thin UV filter on this lens as I understand it is actually part of the optical system. However, I bought the lens second-hand over 10 years ago and didn't get any documentation with it so can't substantiate this point. If the thin filter isn't part of the optical system, it seems odd that it was necessary to produce what is obviously a fairly expensive-to-make, one-off design.

Hi John,

I never heard of a plane filter being part of the optical calculation which is in front(!) of the first lens. I cannot imagine what it could be good for. It´s a difference if you have a filter as a rear element which you can find in some telephoto lenses.

So I would suggest to substitute the slim filter by a normal one, which optically will be pretty much the same. Your advantage would be getting a normal screw in mount for hood(s) or even a polarizing filter. Slim filters normally make sense only on wideangle lenses where they don´t add vignetting, a problem you don´t have with the small angles under which light rays are collected in a telelens.

Take the heliopan telehoods. I use them i.e. with my APO 2.8/70-180 when taking a polarizing filter. It´s very practical turning the filter by turning the hood (and forget the built-in telescopic hood which drives you crazy with the polfilter because it hides it. I hate having to push the hood forth and back only to get to the filter in order to adjust the effects of the polfilter.)

Btw, which front filter size does the Angenieux have?

Regards Friedhelm

I never heard of a plane filter being part of the optical calculation which is in front(!) of the first lens.

280mm f/4 APO-Telyt. The plane glass in front is supposed to protect the very expensive APO-glass element which would otherwise be exposed to the elements.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I appear to have lost the lens hood for my R-fit Angeniuex 70-210mm F3.5 zoom.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has experience of using this lens with the DMR. The next time the weather is suitable I want to try it in Macro mode for wild flower close-ups with my R8-DMR - must dig out a suitable tripod...

This is the original lens shade:

546.jpg

It is very difficult to find. The best bet is to find a defective lens which comes with it - with luck and patience on ebay.

I have been using this Angenieux, as well as the 35-70, the 45-90 and the 2.3/180 APO with the DMR. I am still on the lookout for a 2.8/200mm Angenieux.

2.5/35-70 : the Leica 2.8/35-70 and the 4/35-70 are better

3.5/70-210 : I like this lens very much, excellent results and low weight due to the carbon fiber construction

2.8/45-90 : Newer lenses are better

2.3/180 APO : Wonderful color rendition, extremely sharp already wide open, excellent macro capabilities (with extension rings)

Here an example with the 3.5/35-70:

107202.jpg

Gabler-Bräu in Salzburg

R9+DMR Angenieux 3.5/70-210 - f/5.6 1/250 ISO=100 - RAW + PS CS2

107203.jpg

100% crop

Here you can find more photos I made with this lens:

Sunrise on the Abtsee Lake, Bavaria, Southern Germany

Salzburg Roofs on a Rainy Afternoon

Hellbrunn Castle

You can find discussions of the lens here:

photo-net thread

Old Leica forum thread (in German)

Another German thread

Peter

what are your experiences with that lens?

I think Peter Werner's posting illustrates how good this lens is - I've only used it with film and, as it is quite a big lens, albeit light, I tend to fit it when I've identified a specific purpose rather than carrying it 'just in case'. I've found it excellent for shots of sports activities as well as architectural detail work.

Ffordes have one in their S/H list if you're interested...:o

I think Peter Werner's posting illustrates how good this lens is

Another Angenieux example with the 2.3/180 and extension rings

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi John,

I never heard of a plane filter being part of the optical calculation which is in front(!) of the first lens. I cannot imagine what it could be good for. It´s a difference if you have a filter as a rear element which you can find in some telephoto lenses.

So I would suggest to substitute the slim filter by a normal one, which optically will be pretty much the same. Your advantage would be getting a normal screw in mount for hood(s) or even a polarizing filter. Slim filters normally make sense only on wideangle lenses where they don´t add vignetting, a problem you don´t have with the small angles under which light rays are collected in a telelens.

Take the heliopan telehoods. I use them i.e. with my APO 2.8/70-180 when taking a polarizing filter. It´s very practical turning the filter by turning the hood (and forget the built-in telescopic hood which drives you crazy with the polfilter because it hides it. I hate having to push the hood forth and back only to get to the filter in order to adjust the effects of the polfilter.)

Btw, which front filter size does the Angenieux have?

Regards Friedhelm

Friedholm

Thanks for this - it has a 62mm diameter filter mount so I'll try it with a Hoya 77mm rubber lens hood and a 77mm to 62mm step-down ring from my 'bits box' - I also have various 77mm filters originally bought for an RB67 outfit that I can experiment with.

Incidentally I tried the Heliopan link that you provided but couldn't find the rigid lens hoods you described. This may be because I don't read German and Babel Fish is easily confused by photographic terms...:)

.....I have been using this Angenieux, as well as the 35-70, the 45-90 and the 2.3/180 APO with the DMR. I am still on the lookout for a 2.8/200mm Angenieux.

2.5/35-70 : the Leica 2.8/35-70 and the 4/35-70 are better

3.5/70-210 : I like this lens very much, excellent results and low weight due to the carbon fiber construction

2.8/45-90 : Newer lenses are better

2.3/180 APO : Wonderful color rendition, extremely sharp already wide open, excellent macro capabilities (with extension rings)

Peter

Thanks for the illustrations and your comments on the quality of Angenieux lenses. Your shots make me want to make better use of my 70-210.

One query - have you tried using the 70-210 with either of the Leica Apo-extenders - either the 1.4x or the 2x? If so, what are the results like?:)

Edward,

as far as I know that is wrong. Angenieux made some efforts to get into the still picture sector, these lenses were the result. Consider that 35 mm movie lenses would be for half frame only. In the movie sector normally you have the fixed focal length prime lenses or zoom lenses with a much wider aspect ratio than only 1:2 or 1:3.

Don´t think movie pictures are too sharp. Remember that they are taken with a normal speed of around 1/25s. Sharpness and moving effect is a matter of weakness of our eyes and the capability of our brain which is used to deal with these faults.

Friedhelm

Angenieux made some efforts to get into the still picture sector, these lenses were the result.

Angenieux has been producing camera lenses for many years before.. See for instance this lens on the first (Swiss) Alpa RF.

20183.jpg

Alpa Standard (1944) with Angenieux 2.9/50mm Type Z2

Peter

http://www.alpareflex.com

John,

One query - have you tried using the 70-210 with either of the Leica Apo-extenders - either the 1.4x or the 2x? If so, what are the results like?:)

I never had in the past, you made me curious and I tried the 70-210 with the 2xAPO extender. Here two examples:

552.jpg

DMR - Angenieux 3.5/70-210 @ 90mm + 2x APO extender f/8 - RAW + Capture One

553.jpg

DMR - Angenieux 3.5/70-210 @ 210mm + 2x APO extender f/8 - RAW + Capture One

554.jpg

100% crop

Peter

John,

I never had in the past, you made me curious and I tried the 70-210 with the 2xAPO extender. Here two examples:

Thanks Peter!

That certainly answers my question! I hope you had fun doing the test.

It looks like I'll have to keep my eyes open for good, used Apo-extenders... :)

John,

The 1.4x will not do, the rear element of the lens will touch the extender lens.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the advice - I'll look for a 2x.

Incidentally, I'll be visiting Switzerland in September on a narrow-gauge railway interest tour taking in Chur, Andermatt, Lucerne and Montreux. Are there any good Leica shops that you know of in these places? I remember seeing a Leica agent in Chur the last time I was there but didn't investigate as I wasn't on the look-out for anything at the time.

Are there any good Leica shops that you know of in these places? I remember seeing a Leica agent in Chur the last time I was there but didn't investigate as I wasn't on the look-out for anything at the time.

John,

I only know Ganz in Zurich and the ones in Geneva. You can find a list of Swiss Leica dealers here : http://www.leica-camera.ch/d/repraesentanz.d/repraesentanz.d.html

Peter