Panasonic DMC - lc1 sensor (serial number question)

due163

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

I know that leica repairs the sensors under warranty and Panasonic may, but my question is regarding the serial numbers of the affected cameras

I see it is listed as

A4SYXXXXXXXx , G4SYXXXXXX

does that mean ONLY the A and G serials or is it A - G inclusive? I found an LC1 and its a D4syXXXX serial :(

cheers

Robert

Hi all

I know that leica repairs the sensors under warranty and Panasonic may, but my question is regarding the serial numbers of the affected cameras

I see it is listed as

A4SYXXXXXXXx , G4SYXXXXXX

does that mean ONLY the A and G serials or is it A - G inclusive? I found an LC1 and its a D4syXXXX serial :(

cheers

Robert

A through G. And, it is fairly documented that Panasonic will no longer replace sensors (at least not without a charge), whereas Leica is committed to replace them indefinitely... though I assume at some point dwindling supplies might come into play.

JT

A through G. And, it is fairly documented that Panasonic will no longer replace sensors (at least not without a charge), whereas Leica is committed to replace them indefinitely... though I assume at some point dwindling supplies might come into play.

JT

I have some bad and good news :(

I saw an auction for a LC1 with a 299 BIN price, in teh time it took me to call Panasonic aboutthe sensor replacement warranty, it was sold ..... it was on ebay for a whopping 1 hour 45 minutes I think

Good news: Panasonic USA said they would still cover it! ( what shafted me was the 20 minutes being transferred around and hitting "1 now, push 3 now" BS) GAH!!

• 11 years later...

Greetings everyone,

I'm a new member on this forum, been reading various posts and discussions here for quite some time now. It just so happened that my first post is not Leica related (per-se), as it revolves around Panasonic DMC-LC1 camera. I do realize that my chances are slim, to receive any kind of response to this ancient thread, but still ...

I just came across a DMC-LC1 specimen, which has a rather peculiar serial number: E6SY00008 R

From what I've learned so far, pretty much all DMC-LC1 cameras sold on European market, had a specific S/N alphanumeric pattern (
A4SYxxxxx, B4Yxxxxx ... J4SYxxxxx), while DMC-LC1 cameras that were designated for Japanese market, also had serials with distinct pattern (CY4xxxxxx). The camera I'm pondering to purchase has a serial that doesn't match any of those S/N patterns, neither European nor Japanese. With former at least we were able to confirm, whether a camera was one of those with affected CCD (from A4SYxxxxx to G4SYxxxxx), but the serial I listed above doesn't provide any clue whatsoever.

Any hint regarding this riddle would be most welcome.

Kind regards,
Bostjan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The supply of sensors for both the Digilux2 and DMC L1 ran out a few years ago. There seem to be one or two reports of replacement by other sensors, but I don't recall the details. Note that this thread is 12 years old. I would suggest that if a camera is still working after more than 15 years, it is likely to keep on working.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Japp,

To be honest, I'm not overly excited about purchasing a faulty DMC-LC1, requiring CCD replacement. I did make some research on replacement CCDs availability, even got a very friendly response from Sili-Tech US (ICX282AQ $580, ICX282FQ $255), but like I sad - first and foremost I'm looking for a camera with "good" serial, denoting a fault-free sensor version. The serial number I posted is the complete unknown in the "faulty CCD sensor" scheme of things, as it differs from any serial number pattern I've seen so far.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, that someone else here might have come across these rare DMC-LC1 cameras, with a knowledge about their CCD version status.

Kind regards,
Bostjan

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I am aware the problems with this sensor were not restricted to a specific production run. In the end nearly all cameras got their sensors replaced, at least for the Leica variant. Panasonic was less compliant.