GeoTagging M cameras - made easy - gps4cam

Bo_Lorentzen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What are the other options for Geotagging with an M240, besides the hand grip? Can the M10's EVF be used on the M240?

I have GP4Cam and in my opinion it's not very useful with wide angle lenses. Try it with a 28mm lens. It simply doesn't work. The barcode image is too small and won't be read by the software. 

Also tried it with my Noctilux 0.95 - in this case you are too far away due to the 1m min focus distance of the lens.

The EVF for the M10 can not even be mounted on the M(Typ 240), let alone used.

I have stopped using GPS4Cam altogether. My favorite solution now consists of a cheapish dedicated GPS device (a Garmin etrex 20) which tracks its position whenever it's turned on.

For each outing: turn the GPS device on; take a picture of it showing the time of day. At the end of the trip export the track to the PC, determine the offset of the clock in your camera with respect of the "true" time shown by the GPS, use a free software such as gpsprune to tag all jpeg pictures. I don't believe you can tag the DNGs. Keep the GPX file along with the pictures so that you can draw a map showing the track.

My 2017 solution for geotagging is:

- digital camera

- Suunto Ambit (don't know the exact version - it's the latest large battery one before they announced the new color display watches) best working GPS tracker I used thus far in such a tiny format (wrist watch) - very high res GPS logs, much better than anything I ever got from iPhones + always spot on time keeping with sync to satellite (so no setting the watch necessary)

- iPhone with MotionX-GPS app (I find this app super useful, as it doesn't only produce a great GPS log but also offers you a great working map feature and plots your track on the map, so finding home after a few kilometers through the jungle is as easy as using a compass)

- at home sync all digital cameras, watches and GPS devices (necessary mostly as Leica digitals I use are off ever few weeks anyway)

- when starting to take photographs, just switch either the Suunto Ambit into training mode with GPS logging or switch on the iPhone app and start logging (the Suunto Ambit is much preferred as it's resolution and accuracy is far beyond what the iPhone 6 produces + battery life while GPS logging eclipses that of the iPhone by far

- after coming home, just ingest all photographs into Lightroom

- mark all shots in Lightroom and apply the GPS Log and do an auto tag - done

- I also save the GPX files for reference in a GPS folder with the photographs