LEICA HISTORICA

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two identical meters. One is branded Metraphot 3 and an identical meter branded Leicameter II. Sadly the Leicameter is totally dead and the Metraphot reads just over 1 EV low. These are not reparable as they used a custom "mini" selenium cell, made by Metrawatt. The last spares were sold around 2009. There are no alternatives apparently, which will fit (unless of course anyone knows different). Ian Partridge the Weston Master guru in the UK would love to find a source for replacement cells for the small Metrawatt range of meters, as he has list of folk who would like theirs mended, me included. 

Wilson

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a 4/3 or Micro-4/3 to M or L (or R) adapter?  There are plenty of M to 4/3 or Mirco-4/3 adapters (to use your M glass on the many 4/3, Micro-4/3 cameras); but I can’t find adapters that allow you to go the other way (i.e., use the many 4/3 or Micro-4/3 lenses on an M, L or R Leica camera).  I have some nice 4/3 lenses (e.g., Leica D lenses) that I’d love to use on my Leica CL or R cameras, but can’t for lack of an adapter...  Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know of a 4/3 or Micro-4/3 to M or L (or R) adapter?  There are plenty of M to 4/3 or Mirco-4/3 adapters (to use your M glass on the many 4/3, Micro-4/3 cameras); but I can’t find adapters that allow you to go the other way (i.e., use the many 4/3 or Micro-4/3 lenses on an M, L or R Leica camera).  I have some nice 4/3 lenses (e.g., Leica D lenses) that I’d love to use on my Leica CL or R cameras, but can’t for lack of an adapter...  Thanks in advance!

That is because it is not technically possible (other than Macro use - but see end of post). The rule is that you can use a lens with a longer flange focal distance or register (the distance from the mounting flange on the camera to the imaging medium, film or sensor) on a body which has a shorter flange focal distance. For example Leica M lenses have a flange focal distance of 27.8mm. Micro 4/3rds is 19.25mm, so you can use M lenses on an MFT camera but not the other way round. The difference between the flange focal distances will equal the thickness of the adapter. The other concern is the size of the image circle. This must always be greater than the diagonal measurement across the imaging medium. MFT is 21.60mm; 35mm/Leica M film 43.2mm, so even if the MFT lens could focus or you wanted to use it for macro work, the image circle is unlikely to be large enough. This is one reason MFT lenses are generally smaller than full frame/Leica, which are in turn, smaller than medium format 6 x 6cm lenses. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

A lot of lightmeters makers had use this "Leica" or "Leitz" add on their production : Gossen , Metrawatt and Weston for exemples.

Here is a photo I just came across in my archives, illustrating a "Leicameter" by Weston, with leather case. It is marked "E.Leitz Inc., New York U.S.A.". I remember having been told that E.Leitz New York produced and/or marketed some "Leitz-marked" accessories during the war.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is a photo I just came across in my archives, illustrating a "Leicameter" by Weston, with leather case. It is marked "E.Leitz Inc., New York U.S.A.". I remember having been told that E.Leitz New York produced and/or marketed some "Leitz-marked" accessories during the war.

attachicon.gifWeston Leicameter.jpg

You can find all of them on my web site LEICA HISTORICA, "leicameters" page,

the link is on my signature, thanks to visit.,

• Like 1

Sorry jc, but there is no signature in your postings.

I only find the web adress in your profile. Of course it is possible to copy your web adress from your profile, but a direct link from a signature would be much easier (lazy me...).

I sometimes thought: there was this excellent website by jc_braconi, but could not find it.

Sorry jc, but there is no signature in your postings.

I only find the web adress in your profile. Of course it is possible to copy your web adress from your profile, but a direct link from a signature would be much easier (lazy me...).

I sometimes thought: there was this excellent website by jc_braconi, but could not find it.

There is at the bottom - Leica Historica in red viz;LEICA HISTORICA web site

• Like 1

Sorry again - of course I see the link in pedaes' posting.

But I don't find it anywhere else.

Please don't misunderstand me: I don't want to critizise. Of course jc can decide where he wants to publish his links. Though sometimes I think that excellent information deserves to be easily accessible. 

Sorry again - of course I see the link in pedaes' posting.

But I don't find it anywhere else.

Please don't misunderstand me: I don't want to critizise. Of course jc can decide where he wants to publish his links. Though sometimes I think that excellent information deserves to be easily accessible. 

please looks well my signature and this is the part of the signature to use ; LEICA HISTORICA web site