Leica 35mm F/2.5 Summarit M or Zeiss ZM Biogon?

bherman01545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All;

I currently own a Leica M8, and have a 28mm and 50mm lens. On the M8, the 28mm is a (37mm equivalent, and the 50 is approx. a 66mm) Blah-Blah-Blah

Anyway, I was thinking about a 35mm, (which would give me approx. a 46mm on the M8). I'm not looking to spend $3k on a 35mm Summicron. I've heard some good things about the Summarit and the Zeiss Biogons.

The only thing about the Summarit is that the optional shade ($135.00) only screws in part of the way, as there is some sort of stop, which keeps it oriented properly since it is a rectangular shade. Now, what if I use a Cut IR on the Summarit, (which is pretty much mandatory for the M8)? Can the Optional Summarit lens shade screw into that properly, or should I just opt for a 'generic' B+W screw-in round metal shade for $25.00?

You would really have to own a Summarit to know what I'm talking about.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Brad

Yeah, but when you screw it into the filter, how does it know when to stop turning? The rectangular shade needs to be oriented properly.

Brad

The hood screws onto threads on the outside of the barrel; Leica uses a patented design to stop rotation precisely for correct orientation of the hood.

Filters screw into a threaded section on the inside of the barrel; they rotate independently of the hood.

Regards, Jim

• Like 1

That is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Do you use the Summarit? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks, Brad

I love the Summarit - it lives on my M8. Size, weight, and handling are just perfect for me, and IQ is superb from wide open.

I also play with several other 35mm lenses I own (I'm a collector), and just bought a C-Biogon 35mm f2.8, which I haven't had much chance to use due to our terrible weather. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Regards, Jim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jim is correct about the hood. Two independent threads for hood and filter with the hood thread stopped at the correct orientation. I find the Summarit hoods to easily spun off but dont flare too easily. Thus the hoods on mine are usually left off. As delivered, The lenses have a ring covering the threads used for the hood. That ring will need to be removed if the hood is to be used.

My M8 almost always travelled with two Summarits; 35 and 75. The 50 also was good but just not interesting enough for me on the crop sensor of the M8. All the Summarits have relatively short focus throw and very compact. The primary reason for me to buy them. Optically they surprise me, even wide open.

Edited by usayit

My vote goes to the Summarit which is one of the most flare-resistant lenses I ever came across. And it also is just great in all other respects, including (but not limited to) sharpness, bokeh, and ease of use. Unlike Voigtländer or Zeiss lenses, the Summarit is genuinely and properly 6-bit-coded which is particularly important when used on an M8.

While I only have the Elmarit-M 28 myself now, I vote for the Summarit too.

I only see and hear very good things about the Summarits. I think that in general they are a highly underestimated range of lenses.

I fear that the fact that they are not (ultra) fast and are 'not expensive' by Leica Cron & Lux standards gives them an inferior image in the Leica community but I could be wrong.

BTW the excellent reviews from Sean Reid turn out that in reality the Summarits are closer to f/2.4 or even slightly better than the f/2.5 Leica specifies.

I like my Biogon 35, both on film and on the M8. It is already very good at f2 and improves from there. My Biogon had the flange milled and I have it coded as Summicron 35. Some say it might not be strictly needed. Never thought of selling it for something else.

Regards

Ivo

• Like 2

That is a very cool bit' o trivia!

I sincerely wonder as to it's veracity. Does anyone else have info on the topic?

Richard in Michigan

Rumour has it that they were f/2.4 lenses, but Stephen K. Lee changed the name to f/2.5, based on some Chinese unlucky number superstition.

I think it was posted in an LFI issue around the time that it came out. The number 4 in Chinese sound similar to death, if I recall correctly. Chinese superstition can make it very hard to come up with good product numbers (or even serial numbers!), given the size and importance of the market, especially for luxury items, paradoxically.

Numbers in Chinese culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Zeiss biogon is an awesome little lens. I was deciding between that and the Summicron...until I stumbled upon the little Voigtlander Skopar.

If you are deciding between the Summarit...you really should check out the VC 35mm f/2.5.

Ok it needs to be coded...but that takes 10 seconds with a marker. It also responds super well to Leicas coding and UV adjustments.

I personally shot with this lens and a summicron side by side and went in favor of the VC. I could not see anything that justified the cost for the Leica. Maybe on a full frame...but on the M8 the VC was simply awesome. The sharpness took me by surprises as well.

Here are some shots on my blog...

Review: Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 Color-Skopar Pan II | Band Photography > Music Photographer > Tony Ventouris > MD DC VA > Panoramic > Portraits

It's an absolutely tiny lens. I still wish for 1.4 at times...but the quality and rendering is great. I'de rather have this as a walk around lens at 2.5 than a bigger lens that costs 10x as much.

Otherwise, the Zeiss f/2 has a very unique character and my vote would go to that one over the Summarit. Between the Zeiss and the Summicron, I choose the Summicron! Love the look!

Thank You for the Info Carsten!:)

I think it was posted in an LFI issue around the time that it came out. The number 4 in Chinese sound similar to death, if I recall correctly. Chinese superstition can make it very hard to come up with good product numbers (or even serial numbers!), given the size and importance of the market, especially for luxury items, paradoxically.

Numbers in Chinese culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have one of the 35mm Summarits and I love it. You might say it is my body cap. Sharp and small. I have a B+W uv ir and the standard hood fits just right.

The hood gets a little loose after a year now. Find that pulling it out of the camera case can nudge it a bit off top dead center. No Biggie.

I have a Zeiss 21mm and from that build quality and image quality you can not Go wrong if you get a Zeiss lens.

Good luck.

Lee

I also love the Summarit lenses. Light, easy, sharp. Also, getting the M8 was, for me, paying the entry fee. So I mostly use Leica lenses unless there is a lens that really takes my fancy. I do like the Single Coated CV 40mm 1.4.

While I only have the Elmarit-M 28 myself now, I vote for the Summarit too.

I only see and hear very good things about the Summarits. I think that in general they are a highly underestimated range of lenses.

I fear that the fact that they are not (ultra) fast and are 'not expensive' by Leica Cron & Lux standards gives them an inferior image in the Leica community but I could be wrong.

BTW the excellent reviews from Sean Reid turn out that in reality the Summarits are closer to f/2.4 or even slightly better than the f/2.5 Leica specifies.

If I'm not mistaken, the Leica S camera uses all Summarit lenses.:D