Black vs. Silver MP

Grego

The top and base plate of the MP is made from brass. The black one is painted and with use the paint will wear off showing the brass underneath. Lots of users love this look, some even use sandpaper to make artificial 'useage marks' !

The chrome camera is chrome plated, it's very durable and will rarely wear through to the brass.

The choice is yours!

• Like 1

The black paint is quite resilient, but eventually will show some brassing at the corners. This is a good thing. The silver is actually chrome and won't show the brass through it unless you use it far too much!

I had the same problem and solved it in the obvious way. Both.

Chris;)

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

I have the chrome MP, and after 5 years it looks exactly just like the day I took it out of the box (though I don't use it much - on average about 100 rolls per year). This was mentioned earlier by another forum member, basically the chrome ones do not age as quickly (or nowhere as quickly) as the black paint ones. All my lenses are black, and they look just fine on the chrome MP.

Savvas

Don't forget, you have at least 4 other finish options:

1) Black chrome - hard and durable, through Leica a-la-Carte

2) Anthracite paint - Japanese market specialty

3) Hammertone - LHSA special

4) Solid Titanium - another Japanese market specialty

I have the standard chrome and it shows no wear since buying it as soon as it was released. I would, however, really like to find one of the solid titanium ones someday. Anybody have a lead out here?

Eric

Ready to get an MP, but can't decide on Black vs. Chrome trim. Is the black trim really made of brass? Does the paint chip off easily? What is the silver trim made of?

Thanks for your input.

Greg

Just weeks ago, I purchased a black Leica MP, and like it very much. All of my Leica camera bodies, that now include a Leica MP, Leica M9 and a Leica M8.2 are black, and so are all my Leica-M lenses. ;)

I just buy what's available silver or black I really don't care. I have a black MP that I bought used that has some really peculiar wear; on the bottom at the back in the middle and on one side, and at the top front it starts with a tiny ding near the exposure counter and trails off around the front of the camera. I've no idea how the previous owner managed that but the camera has been perfect in use and that's what counts! :)

I think that if you like the black version you should buy the black version; but if you like the silver one I would then recommend you buy the silver one.

The photographs will turn out to be the same (good if you are good or bad if you are bad). And this (surprisingly) also independently of the color of the lens you use.

Another alternative is to buy one of each and then you can alternate.

Ready to get an MP, but can't decide on Black vs. Chrome trim. Is the black trim really made of brass? Does the paint chip off easily? What is the silver trim made of?

Thanks for your input.

Greg

...Greg, I have both black paint (black lacquer, in Leica-speak) and silver chrome versions. I am not a collector and both bodies see lots of action. Each body is dedicated to a specific type of film.

As mentioned above, with regular use, the black paint version brasses beautifully, starting with the edges. I am not at liberty to comment on artificial brassing techniques. And no, the black paint does not chip off easily. Or, to be more precise, I am yet to see a black paint M body where the paint chipped off easily through regular use.

Both versions feature brass top and base plates. These plates are then finished in either black paint or silver chrome. Both versions are made of exactly the same materials, but finished differently.

Re: the durability of the finish, my experience is that the silver chrome version is much more resilient than the black paint.

So, black paint or silver chrome? Assuming you have no specific requirements and this is purely about aesthetics, I say visit your nearest dealer, handle both versions, then make a decision. I strongly recommend you handle both versions before deciding. Good luck.

Greg,

Good question. Another point to remember about the Black Paint version is that for a good match (aesthetically speaking) you should really use Black Paint lenses. These are brass bodies with the black lacquer paint on so are about 3.5oz (100g) heavier than the black anodised aluminium ones, (same build and weight as the silcer chrome lenses.

My ideal Black MP would be a Black Chrome body, like the M7 black but only available via A la carte i.e expensive route. The Black Chrome bodies get a very nice patina after some heavy use but don't show the green/ dull gold brassing.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/77302-m7-à-la-carte-2.html

Yes the gloss black paint looks great new but I'm sure it will wear soon. I don't see any used Black MPs for sale that are anything other than mint- so if you do want to sell after say 5 years then you probably won't get as much as a similarly used Chrome one.

Chrome bodies suit chrome, or black ally lenses but not Titanium ones. Of course the glass is the same in all lenses of the same spec so your images won't know if your camera looks like it's been let out on day release (Titanium lens on Black Paint body, or black paint lens on chrome body with coloured non-black leather).

So for ease of matching most lenses I'd go for Silver Chrome ( as I did) so you can use it and not wear for many years. A gorgeous glossy black one that you'll be scared to use in case it brasses and have to polish off the finger prints everyday may still tempt you.

From your post I sense you don't fancy the brassing effect? Old M2 black paint here.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-collectors-historica/49228-i-love-my-m2-3.html

Let us know what you choose in the end, either will be beautiful. The only safe answer is both.

Regards, Lincoln

Search the old photo.net forum. There are tons of threads re: silver vs. black. We have all been through this meaningless angst. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. I echo the advise to get the color of the one you get the best deal on. MPs --- like everything Leica -- are very expensive.

But Leicas have a lot more to do with the right side of the brain. Get the color that turns you on an emotional level, even if it costs more. In the long run you'll be happy.

On a personal note, I've never liked the modern black paint Leicas. I've owned a few, but have always ended up selling them. I feel the black paint is too shinny. I prefer more of a matte black.

But the idea of each scrape on the camera being a memory is awfully appealing.

As you can see, there's no one answer and there's no right answer. It's up to you.

I owned to two black paint MPs which were very pretty when new. Over some time, simple handling resulted in many, many superficial scratches and ultimately in brassing. I'm not a brassing fan for such an expensive item.

I prefer black chrome, which wasn't available when I purchased my MPs, as it doesn't result in scratches and brassing except under the worst circumstances.....very durable. BTW, I had silver chrome M6s and it didn't seem as durable as black chrome.:cool:

I don't understand that each scratch is a memory line. Every time I've dropped or dinged my cameras I've felt pretty bad, which is not something I'm keen to remember. I don't baby my cameras, but who wants to recall the thud of one hitting the ground?

I like chrome... Unfortunately the M9 is gray paint so I got mine in black but when I got my M6, I had a choice and took the chrome one. If I had got the MP, it would have been chrome. Although I do admit that a nice brassed (not dinged) black M looks really cool.

Pete

if practically concerned, get black. They are far grippier than the silver chrome ones as the finish resembles teflon when you are used to the black pain models. BP grips better than any other finish. If you think I am joking, pick one of each up and then comment! I have both and notice the difference as soon as the chrome MP is in my hand. I have to hold on tighter when holding it in certain ways. It kinda bothers me. When using my black chrome M6s I once again notice the increase in grip when picking up the BP MP.

M2 and M3 are grippy because of the real leather vulcanite being so much tackier than the modern synthetics.

Having had both chrome and black M's I would recommend the chrome. The black is sooo beautiful all you'll do is worry about getting it scratched. The chrome is durable and a bit more stealth-like IMO as I've found people on the street don't take you seriously "shooting with that old camera". :) Good luck, either one will be a treasure.