Summicron 40 f2 or Vogtlander 40 f1.4? this is the dilemma...

Giorgio Festa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Giorgio, I've bought all my UV/IR filters on eBay, indifferently Leica or W+B (that are much cheaper but working the same way)

The Cron 40 has a different filter thread that is not the same of the filters you generally find on the net and in shops. But don't worry since a normal E 39 Leica or B+W filter will be ok.

You just have to remove the hood, screw the filter on the lens until it grips and tighten a little bit without pushing too much. Then screw the hood on the filter the same way. After two years of use, mine is still in place and gives me no troubles.

You will enjoy this little monster. If you really want to see how it performs, look for the graeme_hutton pictures in the photo forum. Graeme is a master in the use of this lens. ( http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/147333-swmbo.html )

Edited by epand56
  • Like 1

No contest. I have had the 40mm Summicron C for a couple of years. Very light, compact, sharp and good contrast. I use it on my M8, M4p, Zeiss Ikon Z1 and even my little 4/3 Panasonic GF1. It doesn't seem to care whether you shoot film or digital. The best news is that there are a lot of used ones on the market.

Hint. You may wish to file the cam on the mount down a little bit to bring up the 35mm frame on the M8, otherwise it will bring up the 50mm frame. Either way, you will have to frame the shot a little inside or outside of the frame lines.

Using both of them i cannot compare.Very different rendering between the two.Summicron has a softer quality with excellent detail but at f2 is a different lens than f2,8.At f 2 renders softer with full detail and a retro feeling in the image, at higher apertures is a perfect lens considering its age.If someone likes the older rendering quality of older Leica lenses then the focal length and size is a plus.Big issue is that having a screw in the mount-where the coding goes- as the older Summicron 50 cannot be hand coded.At f2 it flares rather easy.On the contrary the VC has good contrast wide open at f 1,4 and it flares rather less wide open (MC version) ,but to my eyes has less character, is more technically neutral compared to Summicron.The f1,4 is quite useful and of excellent quality.I have both and use them for completely different images.

If i had to buy only one i would go for the VC as the Summicron cannot be hand coded and is getting funny high prices for the age and quality of the lens.

On the other hand the retro look and the so strong personality of Summicron on digital M's is very hard to resist.

With proper exposure & post technique the Summicron can give in B&W digital images a Pyro film development look(when shot at wide apertures).I found in two Summicrons that i have used that at f2 the contrast is quite different than in f2,8-f4.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

Summicron has a softer quality with excellent detail but at f2 is a different lens than f2,8.At f 2 renders softer with full detail and a retro feeling in the image

I don't think this is true, at least with my sample. I find the pictures with this lens extremely sharp and not at all soft. I had both the Cron and the CV 40 and could compare the quality and in the end is the CV that is gone. I have to say that my Cron 40 has the glass perfectly clean and the lens is in perfect conditions.

• Like 1

You might also consider to Konica Hexanon 40mm f/2 which is the same as the Summicron but has an improved lens coating which helps with flair. The other positive is that it has a standard filter size of 40.5mm instead of the custom thread for mounting a filter on the summicron.

I also compared the Konica Hexanon 40mm against the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 and I much prefer the Konica. It reminds me of a Leica 35mm summicron pre-asph.

Edited by voe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An inner voice is telling me you intended to refer to the Minolta Rokkor 40 f/2 :).

Andy

Absolutely! I meant the Minolta Rokkor 40mm f/2. I wonder how it escaped me. Thanks for pointing this out.

For me it is the best price performance lens in M mount together with the 40mm Summicron (which I haven't tried).

I don't think this is true, at least with my sample. I find the pictures with this lens extremely sharp and not at all soft. I had both the Cron and the CV 40 and could compare the quality and in the end is the CV that is gone. I have to say that my Cron 40 has the glass perfectly clean and the lens is in perfect conditions.

Your photos with summicron 40 and all other lenses in your photostream-flickr-are fantastic.

When i said soft i mean the contrast wide open is a little lower than in f4 which is typical for the lenses that are 30 years old,resolution stays quite high in all apertures.I like a lot my summicron 40.Also i resolve the coding issue by covering the screw head that is in the way with acrylic smalt white paint.Wide open my lens tends to bloom a little the high lights and the upper midtones but i consider that a plus and that kind of retro feeling is much needed in digital sensors as adds plasticity and 3D sense.Personally i use the Asphericals with film mostly and the older Leicas and VC with digital sensors.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viskadourakis/

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

Angelos, I agree with you that modern lenses such as Summiluxes are more contrasted and sharp, maybe even too much sometimes. But what I mean is that the way the Cron 40 renders is much "modern" than many other lenses of that age. However i think that even that slightly "aged look" the Cron sometimes has, is what I was missing on the CV 40/1.4

• 3 months later...

To resurrect this thread, does anyone have experience and advice regarding the single vs multi-coated CV 40 f1.4s?

Both versions, new/unused, are still available at reasonable price, and I'm tempted as an occasional lightweight mid-focal length option to my larger 35 & 50mm f1.4 ASPH's on the M9. The SC version is described as having a more 'classic' (? read as soft') look which may be a nice alternative to the modern Lux's.

Mark

Mark, Graeme uses the Summicron-C 40/2, no single or multi-coated versions for this lens.

Only the CV Nokton 40/1.4 is available in those two versions.

Thanks Enrico,

I didn't see that Graeme was 'the' Graeme - the Summicron 40 'Master'. I was trying to find out the difference between the 40 Nokton SC & MC versions. However, in the meantime I've just tracked down an immaculate Summicron 40 and look forward to shaving and using it.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP

Hi

Filing the (a) 40mm to bring up the 35mm frames will alter resale value if the lens is a collector, instead an elastic band to the strap lug will hold the selector lever over.

Suggest the CLE lens is MC the CL SC, dont know if the optic formula is the same.

The CV optical formula is similar to the pre asph 35mm lux, but has higher refactive index glass.

The SC lenses pastel colors (slightly) in open shoots even with a hood, the MC are more accurate (relatively). By the same mechanism the SC compresses the contrast which is useful with contrasty film in difficult circumstances, and it may help a digital shooter too...

People can detect the pastel... some think it is magic.

The series 5.5 filter threat is 39mm but a different pitch, 5.5 filters should be avalable, but you need the hood (or series 5.5 ring) to hold them in situ as they are plain glass ot plain metal rims. If you force on a E39 flter (or hood) hard you will damage the threads.

Noel

P.S. the SC will flare more, sometime disturbingly

Edited by Xmas
P.S.
  • Like 1