Summicron 40 f2 or Vogtlander 40 f1.4? this is the dilemma...

Giorgio Festa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

He everybody,

After all the suggestions I got with my previous enquiry about a good (and not extremely expensive...) protrait lens, I understood that the two lens in object are good...

Which could be the best partner for my M8?

Thank you again for all your help..

Regards

For me it's the Summicron f2.0/40mm or even better the Rokkor-M f2.0/40mm. They're all essentially the same lens.

The Summicron and the Rokkor-M differ mostly in the fact that they have different front threads. The Rokkors all take

standard 40.5mm filters while the Summicrons are threaded for the bastard "series 5.5" filters made only for the 40mm

and 90mm Leitz C lenses. The 40mm Rokkor-M has improved multi-coating. It's doubtful that you'll see any difference

between photos taken with the 40mm Summicron or the 40mm Rokkor-M. Both lenses are very nice and compact.

FrankR

• Like 1

For me it's the Summicron f2.0/40mm or even better the Rokkor-M f2.0/40mm. They're all essentially the same lens.

The Summicron and the Rokkor-M differ mostly in the fact that they have different front threads. The Rokkors all take

standard 40.5mm filters while the Summicrons are threaded for the bastard "series 5.5" filters made only for the 40mm

and 90mm Leitz C lenses. The 40mm Rokkor-M has improved multi-coating. It's doubtful that you'll see any difference

between photos taken with the 40mm Summicron or the 40mm Rokkor-M. Both lenses are very nice and compact.

FrankR

I agree with Frank. I own both lenses. I do prefer the Rokkor for the improved coatings & even less flare. Either 40 belongs on the M8. Super compact, light & sharp as a tack.

Another point for the Cron 40 here. I don't have the Rokkor, but i'm always stunned by the quality of this little great lens.

As for the quality of Bokeh I can show you a couple samples.

3736066136_7fd307eb21_b.jpg

3493120221_e32e4dc7bf_b.jpg

3293659814_37a17b667e_o.jpg

You're not going wrong if you buy this marvel.

• Like 2

The Voigtlander Nokton MC 40/1.4 can do fine work. Shortcomings in these examples are because of the photographer.

All sizes | Means of commerce becomes object of commerce | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and

All sizes | Creek scene | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A story goes with the cash register image. When I took this shot on the street, a man asked me, "Is that a Polaroid?" I did not want to chat about the M8 then and there, but I couldn't say yes; he would expect the camera to eject a sheet of Polaroid goo. "It's just a digital camera," I said, showing him a playback of the shot for a second. Thank goodness for the small, low-pixel LCD screen on the M8. Then he pointed out the old Coca-Cola vending machine in the next display window. He also asked me how old the cash register was. I guessed 80 years or more and nodded farewell.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another point for the Cron 40 here. I don't have the Rokkor, but i'm always stunned by the quality of this little great lens.

3736066136_7fd307eb21_b.jpg

3493120221_e32e4dc7bf_b.jpg

3293659814_37a17b667e_o.jpg

Thank you Enrico for sharing some pictures! I have to say that the bokeh of this lens is really very very good and the sharpness too.

It is really tempting me very much...

Thanks for Sharing Enrico,

your images attest to the great attributes of the Summicron Forty. The aesthetic qualities the Lens is Capable Of remind me a fair bit of what I get with my Summicron R Fifty on my EOS 20D. The images also attest to your capabilities as a Photographer.

Good Work.

Richard in Michigan

Too kind of you, Richard, I'm just an amateur that love very much photography. But the qualities of this surprising little lens are unquestionable. I often go out with just my Cron 40 on the camera and need nothing else :)

I can't explain such a huge difference in price with the Summilux 50 versus quite a small difference in quality. Lens mysteries...

As much as i like the Summicron 40, it is more flare prone than the pre-asph Summilux 50 and the latter's IQ is second to none for those who don't need the extra sharpness of current lenses. The tiny size of the Summicron is a big forte though.

Ah Enrico,

it's good to have a realistic evaluation of one's own skill set and to also judge one's own images with a ruthless eye to find the flaws both in them and the holes in ones own talents, but don't let those attributes come to filter out the positive commentary of others or come to limit one's own satisfaction from successful images. There's good stuff in the images I've seen you share on this forum.

You're a 'Photographer' in my judgement, sir. The fact you're an amateur might mean you mix more 'family snapshots' into your image making and your 'technique' experiments and trials might leave you with less than stellar results sometimes, but that says little about whether you're a 'Photographer' in my life experience.

I've been into Photography about 20yrs - I spent 3+ years emmersed in a University Photo Program, 4+ yrs operating a 1hr photo lab, and about a year working in a Pro Photo Lab at various points in those two decades. I've seen rank neophytes producing stunning images, disciples of techniques and disciplines cranking out the boringest of blather, and well paid professionals flubbing the simplest of shots. I've also seen quite the opposite outputs from each level of experience, my point is that some people who pick up a camera Achieve something when they do so and others don't. I consider you someone who is able to Achieve.

Quite Sincerely,

Richard in Michigan

Too kind of you, Richard, I'm just an amateur that love very much photography. But the qualities of this surprising little lens are unquestionable. I often go out with just my Cron 40 on the camera and need nothing else :)

I can't explain such a huge difference in price with the Summilux 50 versus quite a small difference in quality. Lens mysteries...

I'd say that another stroke in favor of Summicrons beyond just size is their lower cost - especially the 40, but the 50's as well.

The f1.4 aperture of the Summilux range is almost like a Syren calling out to sailors to bring them onto the shoals. It's a Rough analogy since actually owning a Summilux isn't disastrous! but the Syren Call is true enough, I'd say. There is a genuine self reinforcing endearment people get caught up in the arguments: "It's got a faster aperture, it must be better.", "It costs so much more, it must be better.", and "So many people want one, it must be better."

I personally LOVE my Summicron 50 R and will unhesitatingly put a 40 or 50 Summicron M in my starter kit. I will also, likely, put a summilux in my bag at some point, but I know myself and my photography well enough to know 'ME Personally' have an actual place for an f1.4 lens.

Richard in Michigan

As much as i like the Summicron 40, it is more flare prone than the pre-asph Summilux 50 and the latter's IQ is second to none for those who don't need the extra sharpness of current lenses. The tiny size of the Summicron is a big forte though.

...I personally LOVE my Summicron 50 R and will unhesitatingly put a 40 or 50 Summicron M in my starter kit...

So will I. My Summicron-R 50/2 is always in my Canon bag and when i use a single lens on my R-D1 it is often the Summicron 40/2. But when i bring 2 lenses with the Epson i choose generally the Summicron 28/2 and a Summilux 50/1.4, asph or pre-asph. De gustibus... :)

I consider you someone who is able to Achieve.

Thank you very much for your words, Richard. The great part of this Forum, besides being very usefull, is the pleasure of meeting the kind of gentlemen you belong to.

It is a privilege belonging to this same "club"

My best regards,

Enrico

Any rear cap for M lens will fit but there is no regular front cap for for the Summicron-C 40/2 IIRC. Only a hood cap # 14191 coming with the rubber hood # 12518. Those are not easy to find out alone so i would rather buy a lens with its hood and front cap if i were you.

Giorgio, which f2 is it? 40 or 50?

I found a couple hood's front covers for the Cron-C 40 for a fistful of coins on the web. My lens still obviously have the original hood.

The M rear cap is very easy to be found on eBay, both the old and new model.

Anyway, this is the correct set:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Enrico,

You are right. I did nor specified...

I am going to buy a summicron 40 f2...you convinced me with the beutiful images you posted...:D

I have just surfed in the net and found a place which sells the caps (Leica shop vintage cameras..). They shoul arrive in the next few days.

I take this opportunity to know if there is a place on the web where I can buy the relevant uv ir filter...

Thanks for helping.