Fujicolor superia X-tra 400, anyone used it?

jacksparrow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know it's not a professional film and maybe shouldn't expect anything great, but I'm just starting with film, and wanted to test what's available arround my place.

I find it just OK with good light, but absolutely impossible for low light situations, at least in my shots the "color" showed as different tones of yellow-ocher-brown... all the shots did have all a kind of yellowish tone, might be something wrong with the processing? overall very poor!

Anyone using cheap film with good results here? If yes, which one?

thanks

Just used that one for the first time this week, and scanned a couple of frames in the last hour: pretty nice, balanced, fine grained, very tolerant to tungsten and mixed light situations, scans easily (vuescan). Was quite surprised as I bought the rolls in an emergency, not finding any slide film in the remote location I was at the time. Shot my last Provia 400X frames and started the X-tra in the same mixed light setting that day: the Provia turned all yellowish and impossible to fix post-scan, while the X-tra produced very nice nearly neutral scans with very little fiddling of the vuescan standard settings. I would have been better of with the X-tra 400 for all shots that day.

Milos, those look nice!

Therefore it must have been the lab process which gave all those yellows. will try a couple more rolls then.. or could this be an old film? how does agign shows in regular color film like this?

thanks for the fast answer.

e

I bought some Konica Minolta film which was going for £1 a roll clearance offer at a local shop - I wish I'd bought more, it produces lovely colours and natural skin tones.

I was seeing some friends last night, they had an album of their wedding photos, some were from the official photographer and others from various guests including myself. I was flicking through (there were about 200 all 5X7) and one image made me stop to look longer. I'm not being big headed when I say it was one of mine (I didn't recognise it as mine at first) but it was the much nicer colours and yes, it was shot with this film!

Think I might have to search around for some more.....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, it's my standard wedding film. Nice flesh tones, good latitude, good detail.

I have them scanned at the lab and wondered "what the hell ...." when I saw the first results. Got that sorted now no hesitation to use it.

It's a good film and so cheap when on offer. 7dayshop for me.

Rolo

Guest flatfour

I use Fuji Superia X-tra 400 and 800 as I don't like the effect of flash.

This picture was taken with Fuji Superia 800 in ambient light without flash of any sort or floodlighting. I am very happy with the quality.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So I'm sure there must have been something wrong with my roll or with the development process since all the other examples you people have shown are indeed really nice. Good colors and grain... thanks for all the replies

Las pic... might not be the repair shop, but the new M8 clean room :-)

Guest flatfour

The guy in the picture is a jeweller and this is his workbench. The wooden figure on the left he carved from a piece of driftwood. I have taken another neg from the same series and put it into B&W

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest flatfour

I have just looked at the Superia 400 I have left and both films are over 2 years out of date and the shots taken above were from the same batch. Seems it also lasts well.

Fuji 400 NH (formerly NPH) is great - really good for mixed lighting, and surprisingly good grain. I believe Superia is the amateur version. Should be petty good. At least I hope so, I bought in a few rolls.