Cinemas going digital.

Guest flatfour

Guest flatfour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard today that the growth in digital cinemas is accelerating. A figure of £1500 was given to digitise a 35mm main film but only cots £70 for repeat copies. Each 35mm film copy is £500. How long will it be before films are taken digitally and the industry no longer needs film stock ?

How long will it be before films are taken digitally and the industry no longer needs film stock ?

Surely that depends on directors. Many, like Spielberg, still prefer film for the look it gives their work. Long may that continue.

I think the biggest worry is not just that filmmakers are switching to Digital for making their films, its that Cinemas are moving to digital projection meaning that film won't be used to distribute movies to the Cinemas anymore. If that happens, which appears inevitable, its another blow to film.

Guest user8952
I heard today that the growth in digital cinemas is accelerating. A figure of £1500 was given to digitise a 35mm main film but only cots £70 for repeat copies. Each 35mm film copy is £500. How long will it be before films are taken digitally and the industry no longer needs film stock ?

those numbers are absurd! where did you get them???

Guest user8952
The print cost for film looks very low to me I have to say.

The major hindrance to the uptake of digital in cinemas is the cost of the equipment for the cinema. The advantage to the studio in terms of cost and security is enormous.

you‘re at least off a factor 10! and that‘s conservative.