working Ur-Leica?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 23.12.2018 um 18:53 schrieb wlaidlaw:

George, 

As I mentioned in a post above, Igorcamera often has Tessina cassettes for sale. 

Wilson

Hello, I have some Tessina cassettes - I don't use -  too. Because of shipping costs European members preferred. Mail me if you need them.

Jan

Edited by jankap

Shot a roll with UR #80,   A True Wow moment after development to see all those negs looking “just right”! My first experience with Eastman 5222 Double X and Very Pleased!    The shutter pinholes have been repaired. This is an iPhone shot of the neg, reversed.  Should print nice!  The Cabin by the Lake, built by 4 boozer/hunter chums about 1920.  A massive moose head sits over the mantle.  UR Leica #80 42mm Summar Eastman Double X F 8 1/200

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ambro51 said:

Shot a roll with UR #80,   A True Wow moment after development to see all those negs looking “just right”! My first experience with Eastman 5222 Double X and Very Pleased!    The shutter pinholes have been repaired. This is an iPhone shot of the neg, reversed.  Should print nice!  The Cabin by the Lake, built by 4 boozer/hunter chums about 1920.  A massive moose head sits over the mantle.  UR Leica #80 42mm Summar Eastman Double X F 8 1/200

Nice photography. It looks like a really cozy cabin in the woods. The original when scanned will be even sharper and have more texture, one of the wonderful things that this lens brings out. If you have a chance please tell alittle about the special properties of this film and why you are using it with the UR. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Double X is a Kodak “survivor” film unchanged since its creation in 1959.  It is said to give a ‘Film Noir’ look.  Also, I think the film thickness is less than tri x, or so it seemed when I spooled it.   It is ISO 250 and allows the UR to shoot at a wider aperature.   Another important factor is this film stock IS used by Hollywood,  Schindler’s List was shot with Double X.   And....if Hollywood uses a film stock that increases the chances it will continue to be made.    ••••••. I’ve finally settled how to deal with the finder issue.    First, it’s fine to shoot the UR just using the “ shoe” as a centering device.  It works and the 42mm FOV is huge.   The camera is a smooth pocketable lump.  But, sometimes a finder is best, and I’ve been using a VIDOM set at 42mm.   Ok it’s mirror image....but the brain handles that.  It doubles any angle you’re tilting the camera and makes it easier to really hold it level.  You can even mount the large wheel FOFER on top and create a spectacular and unique looking device!  As to pocket ability, the camera in one pocket and the finder in the other.   

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, Ambro51 said:

My first experience with Eastman 5222 Double X and Very Pleased!

Excellent! It's pretty hard not to be pleased with 5222. If you're so inclined, it also responds very well to different developers. I use Adox MQ Borax mostly but Rodinal has it's own very nice tonal scale as well. I'd start testing HC-110 but it's already easy enough to get off track without yet another developer to play with. I can't seem to get more than (my) EI 250 out of it. Very nice shot of the cabin.

• 1 month later...

I am still taking pictures with my UR Replica and was in Seoul last week to visit with Mr Kim. He was busy working on the UR with the signature of Oskar Barnack of the top plate. He said that this camera, being modified for a Korean customer, was very well made. The best construction of any of the UR Dummys that he has encountered. Why was I there? To have the film counter made operational. I am tired of not knowing how many pictures are left and not diligent enough to count up how many I have taken. So I bit the bullet and some day will have a fully operational UR. Please do not ask how much. I can only say that it costs a bundle for this modification. Hay life is short and here is my chance to bring life to another part of the love of my life, the Barnack UR!

Now for the other news. As you know I have number 28 and 2 and have enjoyed having two URs as it means I am less likely to have to load one in the field (not allot of fun on a hot day in the black change bag). That will change soon. I purchased the 24mm f4.5 Mikro Summar lens (the price was right) and will have it installed on one of the cameras. Yes this means that the UR will have an interchangeable lens. What a revolution! There are only three screws holding the lens base including the focus mount to the UR body. With these three screws removed, I can remove the 42 mm lens and replace it with a non focusing 24 mm lens and have a wide angle UR. This means that I do not have to pull out the lens as it will sit almost flush with the camera face. It also means that I do not have to worry about focus since it is wide angle enough that this is not critical. 

With this 24mm lens installed on one Replica UR and the standard 42mm on the other UR, I will be ready for a photo expedition that includes both cameras with different lens.  Now I am also curious how sharp the 24 mm Micro Summar will be. If it is anything like the 42 mm lens, it will indeed take good pictures. After all it is the stellar planar design of 1898. What do you UR lovers think of an exchangable lens UR? I like to think that Barnack would have done this if WW l hadn’t intervened. After all he did try other lens on the UR before settling with the 42mm (but they were all of a longer focal length). I wonder why he did not try the 24mm. Maybe he knew something that I do not know......and maybe I will soon find out what he knew and why he did not use this lens and regret this experiment! It would have made for a much simpler UR. No focus issues, no pulling out the lens barrel, no worries of the extension slipping, and a more compact and simple final product. 

Of course I will be posting the resultant pictures from this marriage here on the forum for you to take a gander at! But do not hold your breath..Mr Kim has a full desk of film cameras to be CLAed and repaired. His desk makes Barnack’s look like the desk of an accountant, pretty empty!

Hi George I think you made a good decision on the counter.  It’s the final step toward recreating the camera as Barnack knew it.  Hopefully Mr. Kim will learn how to do this on your camera and when I give him mine he’ll have done the brainwork already.  When you see him again let him know I’m delighted with #80 and it has been perfect with about 15 rolls shot.  Good Job!  You mention interchangeable lenses and Yes in a way I agree.  When I got my 1911 production Zeiss Kino Tessar 3.5 5cm.....it thread in exactly into the threads in int inner barrel, where the lens cover sits.  Push back to the shoulder of the outer barrel, and it is Exactly in register with the focal scale.  That, cannot be coincidence!  Now, I Do wonder, and it looks like by measurement...that the 64 mm Summar when threaded in, would be in focal register with both barrels extended. It is suggested Barnack used this lens with prototype 3.,  •••••• I think you may be disappointed in the 24mm as a wide angle at focus.  I don’t think this optic will have the angular coverage for full frame at infinity, though as a macro objective, it would.  I’m going to suggest you get a 28 mm 5.6 Hektor and have Mr. Kim adapt this into the Lens focus ring, keeping the UR lens cap and cover.  The barrels would need to be removed as when retracted they restrict coverage to a circle.  Putting the Hektor in there would unquestionably give you a true full frame “Leica” photograph. .....but of course Art being Art the 24 might tickle the fancy in some unknown way...keep us Posted!  I’m happy with the 42, that’s WA enough for me.

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 10:59 PM, George Furst said:

I am still taking pictures with my UR Replica and was in Seoul last week to visit with Mr Kim. He was busy working on the UR with the signature of Oskar Barnack of the top plate. He said that this camera, being modified for a Korean customer, was very well made. The best construction of any of the UR Dummys that he has encountered. Why was I there? To have the film counter made operational. I am tired of not knowing how many pictures are left and not diligent enough to count up how many I have taken. So I bit the bullet and some day will have a fully operational UR. Please do not ask how much. I can only say that it costs a bundle for this modification. Hay life is short and here is my chance to bring life to another part of the love of my life, the Barnack UR!

Now for the other news. As you know I have number 28 and 2 and have enjoyed having two URs as it means I am less likely to have to load one in the field (not allot of fun on a hot day in the black change bag). That will change soon. I purchased the 24mm f4.5 Mikro Summar lens (the price was right) and will have it installed on one of the cameras. Yes this means that the UR will have an interchangeable lens. What a revolution! There are only three screws holding the lens base including the focus mount to the UR body. With these three screws removed, I can remove the 42 mm lens and replace it with a non focusing 24 mm lens and have a wide angle UR. This means that I do not have to pull out the lens as it will sit almost flush with the camera face. It also means that I do not have to worry about focus since it is wide angle enough that this is not critical. 

With this 24mm lens installed on one Replica UR and the standard 42mm on the other UR, I will be ready for a photo expedition that includes both cameras with different lens.  Now I am also curious how sharp the 24 mm Micro Summar will be. If it is anything like the 42 mm lens, it will indeed take good pictures. After all it is the stellar planar design of 1898. What do you UR lovers think of an exchangable lens UR? I like to think that Barnack would have done this if WW l hadn’t intervened. After all he did try other lens on the UR before settling with the 42mm (but they were all of a longer focal length). I wonder why he did not try the 24mm. Maybe he knew something that I do not know......and maybe I will soon find out what he knew and why he did not use this lens and regret this experiment! It would have made for a much simpler UR. No focus issues, no pulling out the lens barrel, no worries of the extension slipping, and a more compact and simple final product. 

Of course I will be posting the resultant pictures from this marriage here on the forum for you to take a gander at! But do not hold your breath..Mr Kim has a full desk of film cameras to be CLAed and repaired. His desk makes Barnack’s look like the desk of an accountant, pretty empty!

This gentleman is correct about the 24mm lens, it does not fill the full frame of 24X36 mm so I decided not to have it installed as an alternative for the 42mm lens. On another note, the film counter is finally finished and ready for me to pick up. I will send a picture of the camera with the film counter dial to show you that it does change the appearance of the camera. The dial had to be changed and I am now passing over a chunk of change at $450 for this conversion. It also was about 8 months that I did not have the camera. I was going to pick it up last week but the Lunar Holiday intervened. Here is the East, this is the biggest holiday of the year. Your regular New Year of a month ago passes by with little notice but this Lunar Holiday is a big thing and most endeavors must be accommodated so all can return to family origins. It also means that you gain a year in age. So since my wife was born in early December, after the Lunar New Year, she was Two years old. Oh yes, her time developing in her mother counts as one year to her age!  We in the west would say she is two months old but here she is two years old! 

I plan to go in to Mr Kim’s next week and will post a picture then.  Now the quandary is should I have my other UR converted to have a functioning film counter? This additional expense means that would have about $3000 invested in this little camera that must be loaded and unloaded in a dark room. That is $600 for the UR Dummy, $300 for the lens, $100 for the donor screw mount camera, $1200 to Mr. Kim for the conversion, $400 for the film counter and $400 for the age appropriate view finder. Is it worth it? It think it is as the pictures are so wonderful, sharp and it is such a joy to experience the revolution that Barnack gave us. Now I am not sure that my wife would agree if she knew what of our bank account I have put into this copy of the little revolutionary camera. I have debated selling one of my URs but doubt that anyone would be willing to offer what I have put into this camera, so I have decided to hold on to my two UR Cameras, that is unless someone.....

Edited by George Furst
Caps for new year
  • Like 1

Given the size and its so easy to use, i would keep one with color film and one with b&w :)

I use #80 very often.  It fits superbly into the pocket of my A2 leather jacket.   I grab it on a whim whenever I go out.  It’s very forgiving, with the 42mm lens, latelyi I’ve  been shooting CN400BW home developed in Caffenol.   It’s a Great Camera!  Years from now....these cameras aren’t going away.  We will, the cameras wont.  These few that are rebuilt so skillfully to function will show up now and then at auctions and command very high prices.   This is rarity coupled with more rarity, with the addition of useability by photographers.   And it’s not just “ making mages” it’s doing it to a very high Leica level.  That 4.5 Summar is astonishing.  The depth of field makes point and shoot practical.  ••••• anyhow George!  Yikes!  He changed the counter disc?  Even though the one on the Replica has incorrect typeface I think I’d prefer that over anything else.   I kind of sense you feel this also....post a picture maybe? ••••••The UR is a Unique Camera.  We are Gifted with Leitz quality repiicas.  The Pathway searched for on page 1 of this thread has been found.  We have located the Wizard.  When you see Mr. Kim Thank him again from me for his superb work on #80.  Assure him the Toothache is at Work, not on a shelf!  PS I lost my counter disc off it, if he’s got a spare I could use it 🙂

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 2:54 AM, Ambro51 said:

I use #80 very often.  It fits superbly into the pocket of my A2 leather jacket.   I grab it on a whim whenever I go out.  It’s very forgiving, with the 42mm lens, latelyi I’ve  been shooting CN400BW home developed in Caffenol.   It’s a Great Camera!  Years from now....these cameras aren’t going away.  We will, the cameras wont.  These few that are rebuilt so skillfully to function will show up now and then at auctions and command very high prices.   This is rarity coupled with more rarity, with the addition of useability by photographers.   And it’s not just “ making mages” it’s doing it to a very high Leica level.  That 4.5 Summar is astonishing.  The depth of field makes point and shoot practical.  ••••• anyhow George!  Yikes!  He changed the counter disc?  Even though the one on the Replica has incorrect typeface I think I’d prefer that over anything else.   I kind of sense you feel this also....post a picture maybe? ••••••The UR is a Unique Camera.  We are Gifted with Leitz quality repiicas.  The Pathway searched for on page 1 of this thread has been found.  We have located the Wizard.  When you see Mr. Kim Thank him again from me for his superb work on #80.  Assure him the Toothache is at Work, not on a shelf!  PS I lost my counter disc off it, if he’s got a spare I could use it 🙂

Hay Ambro, if you want this counter disk, I can send it to you as long as the US Post Office is still operating. I went into Seoul last Friday and Mr Kim had this counter for your camera, if interested. It actually came from a LEICA SL camera counter and it fits the UR Replica cameras counter location. So send me a private message with address again and I will forward it to you. It is from my UR Leica because he lost the original. But then he replaced the temporary one on my UR with it since he found the original!

• 1 month later...

I am enclosing a Photograph of the etching that Mr Kim had cut into the back of the first UR That he converted from a dummy to a working camera. I felt that this was a landmark event and it should be so memorialized with an engraving. I had a hard time deciding of the wording. Of course there is limited space in this baseplate. Therefor there are few words in my tome. I welcome comments on the inscription wording so engraved. Also should it have been on the outside of the base plate or elsewhere? Presently it is hidden when taking photos.

I remember that the German fellow who did the conversions back in the eighties, placed what looks like a piece of paper (?) inside the now UR Replica with similar information. I wanted something more durable as I am thinking of the long term when these gems are passed on to future generations that move back to film and realize the depth of our dedication to experience a long ago time when cine film was just beginning to be used by unconventional camera people. They were not aware of the revolution that they were the seeds for. This is my reason for the joy I feel when using this dummy now replica. I am reliving something that was lost just a few years later when the film cassette came out and eliminated the fumbling in the dark bathroom when unloading and unloading the film. 

Oh my, I have gotten away from the topic. What should be said and where should it be engraved?

Edited by George Furst
Left out a letter

On 5/12/2020 at 9:45 PM, Ambro51 said:

Thanks but that just looks so wrong.  I turned an aluminum disc on my Unimat and put it on.  I may letter it with India ink and lacquer over that.   Really, thanks anyway 🙂

I understand your rejection. I felt the same way and that is the reason I tried to pass it on to you. I thought it interesting that it was the counter disk from a Leica flex and therefor came from the same family. When I texted Mr Kim that I preferred the original film disk, Mr Kim deleted my comment!

The baseplate engraving is fantastic.  We must realize these cameras will endure, and be quite special.  Is Mr. Kim still “on board” with these projects?  I know as a builder.....sometimes very interesting complex projects are absorbing, challenging and enjoyable.  After the fourth or fifth time, they are an exercise in earning a paycheck, little more.  

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 1