Film retreving

darkness30

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have a film retreiving problem and would like to learn if it is possible to do it. I have anegative that film leader is lost and i have tried to remove it with a retreiver but apparently the leader has stick inside and its not coming out. Is there another way??

Thanks

Mehmet

Hello,

I have a film retreiving problem and would like to learn if it is possible to do it. I have anegative that film leader is lost and i have tried to remove it with a retreiver but apparently the leader has stick inside and its not coming out. Is there another way??

I assume that you are using an M body. I find that the way the M bends (virtually folds) the leader when you load a film makes it very difficult to retrieve the leader from the canister once retracted. Having said this, I usually manage to get the leader out with a certain amount of perseverance. My own method is to use a piece of film (or the leader from another roll) which I dampen (I usually lick it) and poke a couple of inches into the canister. If you 'rewind' the film (whilst out of the camera) a few further turns it should 'grab' onto the inserted piece of film. If you slowly withdraw the inserted piece of film it should drag the film leader out with it. It can take anywhere from one to twenty attempts before it works but the technique hasn't yet let me down.

If your film is well and truly stuck you may have to simply bite the bullet and get the unfinished film developed. Alternatively, you could consider removing the film in a changing bag (or in darkroom) and reloading it into another canister but that seems like an awful faff.

Is this one of the Kodak professional range like Portra? The Portra films are on a very thin base and and the average retrieving tool has difficulty in holding it as you withdraw the tool you should slightly bend the tongues as you withdraw which causes the tool to grip harder. It will eventually come out but enourmous patience is required.

Mike

Thank you all for your kind help. I am using R cameras and the film is Fuji provia 100F. Under normal circumstances i would just discard it however slide film is rare and very expensive in Turkey. This one was in the fridge for some time may be thats why? I have retreiver however it didnt work but may be ishould try more.

Thanks,

Mehmet

The several times I over-rewound film were quite frustrating. In spite of everybody's suggestions I couldn't retrieve the leader and finally broke down and purchased one on Ebay for around $12. Since that time I've never had a problem instantly retrieving leaders. Lest anyone think I'm totally inept...I don't have the problem on my Leica...but my Nikon autorewinds and for some reason over-rewinds and hand loaded casettes.