Kodachrome 200 has been discontinued

KM-25

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is official, Kodak has discontinued Kodachrome 200 as of November, 2006.

According to my contact at Kodak, they decided to make the announcement to vendors and labs only. I saw an ebay ad for KL-200 from Dwayne's and called them today. B&H is already out ( I ordered 200 rolls in the last few days ) and it is uncertain how much is actually left at Kodak.

Dwayne's does have a good supply that might last awhile if you need it. Adorama, freestyle, others show some stock, but for how long is anyone's guess.

We do have at least a couple years to get this stuff souped so have a go with it. I hope I have enough time to shoot and process what is now some 1,600 rolls of all speeds.

Sorry to break it to you, but it is the real deal..

I love the grain and sharpness of K200 but have never been a great fan of the magenta cast you sometimes get (even with theoretically fresh film). I've also always found it difficult to scan properly. It is silly to get sentimental about a film I no longer use but I'll be sorry when Kodak finally call it a day with Kodachrome. As a film that has been around for so long - I've got boxes of the stuff in the loft shot by my father and grandfather - it really will seem like the end of an era.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Kodachrome era ended for me last weekend when I used my last roll of K25 - for the first time in almost 40 years I'm without any K-chrome :(

Being leery of relying on a single processing lab I won't be ordering any more K64. I never thought I'd say that.

Kodak recently "lost" a roll of K-64 I had sent out for processing. 2nd time it's happened to me in 20 years, which isn't horrible I suppose....but quite annoying. They sent a roll of Kodachrome 200 and free processing as gesture of their goodwill. Yippee....

The Kodachrome era ended for me last weekend when I used my last roll of K25 - for the first time in almost 40 years I'm without any K-chrome :(

Being leery of relying on a single processing lab I won't be ordering any more K64. I never thought I'd say that.

That was my all time favorite too. How does K25 compare with your digital Leica images?

Look at what the greats have done with Kodachrome, Harvey, Turner, Maisel, Webb, Rowell, etc.

While not my favorite, KL-200 looked fantastic and did the job Kodachrome is supposed to.

And compared to digital? Come on now, there are very few if any images from digital with that incredible look right out of camera.

You either love the stuff or you don't, but one thing is for sure:

You will know without a doubt what I am doing with it.

LoL!!

I have spent many times on assignments in Aus.

One thing I have noticed quite profoundly is that many Aussie's lack a certain admirable common courtesy:

Empathy.

Cheers!

Don't care, never liked it.

Sharp, but grainy and hopeless for night work.

I certainly wont miss it.

Cheers.

Don't care, never liked it.

Sharp, but grainy and hopeless for night work.

I certainly wont miss it.

Cheers.

I agree.

When comet Hyakutake passed by, I spontaneously had to choose between Velvia and K200 - it was the one and only night for me, to catch it with my friends' astronomical equipment. No chance to get other films in time.

I chose K200 (2steps more, I thaught), but almost anything of the comet's tail could be seen, even with F1.4 and 10 minutes exposure :-(

This was the last time I ever used K200 - especially after one of the three comet-films got lost on their way back to me from the lab.

So I didn't miss anything, when the K200 was discontinued in Germany some years ago.

The K25 I really do miss.

I hope, K64 will be continued for a while. It's the best film for wide angle shots of atmospheric phenomena and for shots during totality of solar eclipses.

Unfortunately it costs thrice as much as other good films.

However this is to me, as if Mercedes would stop building cars ...

regards

Torsten

Loyalty-shmoyalty, I really don't care who makes it, the stuff is fantastic, like any car, you have to know how to drive it.

I have been using K-200 recently and it looks really good. Like any film there are weaknesses and strengths, I am playing off the strengths and getting good stuff.

I have a bucket load of this stuff to shoot and have spent well over $20,000 preping for this project. Say what you will, but I am on a mission and it will make it happen.

Enjoy it or not, I am just the messenger, ya know.

>>Loyalty-shmoyalty, I really don't care who makes it, the stuff is fantastic, like any car, you have to know how to drive it.

I have been using K-200 recently and it looks really good. Like any film there are weaknesses and strengths, I am playing off the strengths and getting good stuff.

I have a bucket load of this stuff to shoot and have spent well over $20,000 preping for this project. Say what you will, but I am on a mission and it will make it happen.

Enjoy it or not, I am just the messenger, ya know.<<

Fuji film is 'fantastic' too. Because the market for film is dwindling fast, I decided to ‘reward’ Fuji for its ongoing commitment. Why would anyone give their money to Kodak now? One is better off sending a market signal to Fuji (and hope plenty of others do too) thus assuring many more years of brilliant film.

C

When Kodak abandoned its commitment to film some time ago, I abandoned my loyalty to it—now I refuse to buy it and will only purchase Fuji or Ilford.

C.

I agree. I've got one roll of K64 left in the fridge and that's it for me. When you buy the mailer it now takes four weeks to get your chromes back. Sorta miss the good ol' days when it only took two weeks.