Highest iso you regularly use with M8?

LeicaTobin

Hi Satya,

I wanted to chime in on your Turkey Shot. A) it's a lovely shot, especially viewed large. The colors are lovely, the exposure looks very well chosen, and while the depth of field wasn't exactly a friend in this kind of shot - a wide open aperture and NO FLASH looks tons better than f8 and a blaze of blue light would have! and B) I found nothing at all about the 'noise' in the shot at all bothersome. Zero. I'd shoot at that ISO in that situation, with that noise, at the drop of a hat. Sure, the noise is there and camera x from company y may or may not have less noise at that ISO, but that 'fact' has almost no bearing on whether a shot is successful or not. Worrying that NikCanSony Camera X does A,B,or C, won't help a whit in getting a good shot, like the one of this dinner scene, when it's a Leica that's in your hand folks. Relax. Take pictures. Enjoy Pictures. Get better at Picture Taking. Measurbators just get pasty white sitting alone in the dark muttering about DxO scores and lpm's. Hee Hee

Peace

Richard in Michigan

Thanks Richard!

I digress from the main thread, but for for me, having a Leica and using it regularly is so much more pleasurable than when I had a Canon 5D M2, which I rarely used, as I got tired of it's size and weight....and it was so conspicuous that I hesitated taking even to dinner at friends at such. With the M8.2, I used it quite a bit on Thanksgiving night and no one even seemed bother at all, as there was no flash, no noise and it was inconspicuous.

Satya

I regularly shoot at 1250. Though to be honest, the results look pretty crap.

Only kidding

Even kidding ;) If the results are crap, the histogram is crap. It is so simple: Disregard the sharp peak of the specular highlights ( those are supposed to be blown out anyway) and expose to eliminate the flat line on the right hand side of your histogram. Note: If you use "A" ( not recommended btw) this may be an EV compensation of up to +2 EV for low contrast subjects. Get that thing off the "standard" -2/3rds compensation (I wonder who dreamt up that particularly stupid advice) and start exposing for your subject matter - it is called photography, not automated one-size-fits-all ! Edited by jaapv
  • Like 3

Guest Ming Rider

Jaapv. Thanks for the tips. I hold my hands up to using 'A' 90% of the time with -1/3rd Compensation but mainly so I have good sky to play with (I like good clouds in my street/architecture shots).

However, I have been experimenting with the Sunny 16 rule of late with Auto ISO so 1250 keeps popping up. Not usually a problem as the M8's noise tends to be 'grain' like especially in B&W.

By the way, just looked at your profile. Do you really own 2 M9's. Must be one hell of a dentist? [-0

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Richard!

I digress from the main thread, but for for me, having a Leica and using it regularly is so much more pleasurable than when I had a Canon 5D M2, which I rarely used, as I got tired of it's size and weight....and it was so conspicuous that I hesitated taking even to dinner at friends at such. With the M8.2, I used it quite a bit on Thanksgiving night and no one even seemed bother at all, as there was no flash, no noise and it was inconspicuous.

Satya

And it is Paragraphs like that which make me want an M!

Most of my family and some of my friends have adapted to me and my ubiquitious slr's over the years, but definitely not all of them and certainly not new friends and acquintances.

Richard in Michigan

Let Me Guess!

What = Volcano

Where = Tropical/Subtropical based on vegetation seen in background - Hawaii?

When = Don't know!

Yep, Kilauea at Dawn

Hawaii indeed

When: Nov 22 (this year). EXIF says 23 Nov, but I think I just mis-dialed the date. This explains why my two cameras aren't showing the photos together in Aperture. Sigh.

Nah Mike, we've got our precious Hermes edition film bodies for that and besides, any experience with shooting @ f1 with your D70 :p ?

LoL! That's funny, and thanks for the font, colour, etc... I'm sure this rather dour forum was brightened up a lot ... :) Didn't get to f1.0 yet, sort of got stuck with me D7xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on f1.4 and 3200 iso... :eek:

Guest Ming Rider

Here's a self-portrait from the M8 at ISO 640, f4 and 1/4 sec shot in DNG. I then converted it in Silver Efex for an antique plate look, hence the grain. Very usable.

Do any of you have suggestions of the best way to remove reflections in glasses in Photoshop CS3, (apart from not wearing them of course)? :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ming Rider
  • Like 1