Highest iso you regularly use with M8?

LeicaTobin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In contrasty, dim available light situations, I get excellent results at a simulated ISO1000 with the M8. By simulated I mean that I set the ISO to 640 and exposure compensation to -2/3. This provides far better noise results than any real ISO setting higher than 640, with positive or negative exposure compensation. I shoot color, RAW and process in CS5 RAW with heavy reliance on fill-in, brightness and exposure RAW controls. For noise control, I typically set Lum to 5, Lum Detail to 50, Lum Contrast to 0, Color to 100 and Color Detail to 100. Surprisingly fine images are the result -- try it. Tom

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

...same here

Usually I try to stay with ISO 160, sometimes I use ISO 640, but never higher values.

However, as I have never been too satisfied wity the results from using ISO 640, I am thinking of complementing the M8 with an MM for real low light work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the iso setting can be misleading. Exposure accuraw will have a big impact on how clean the end result is.. an under exposed high iso shot is going to disappointment. . This is an example of a well exposed image at higher iso values.

A

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think ISO-640 is reasonable.

ISO-1250 is like strangling a cat. And, ISO-2500 is simply useless

Depends on your post-processing technique. and the subject. Actually 1250 can be wonderful on the M8 in bright conditions as it adds just that little touch of structure to the print - try it.

• 2 weeks later...
ISO1250 is my border of comfort with the M8.2.

ISO2500 is only for getting the shot, if otherwise lost or for really good light and need of shutter speed (then ISO2500 can look remarkably clean).

During good light, the camera is set to 160 or 320.

ISO640 is very safe and comfortable in low light.

I shoot 1250 regularly and with good exposure, (ETTR) and CS5, the results are excellent.

I am nearly in these two points it works for me fine,

Edited by jaapv
repair quote

I took this picture as a try using Etruscello's settings: Iso 640, EV -2.

Used aa M8 + Summilux 35/1.4

I think it is a great setting to shoot in darkness and have a very low noise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by epand56
  • Like 2

Hello Enrico,

well turned out try imo. I am wondering if you were testing concept of instead of shooting at 2500 you shot at 640 but dialed in EV -2 ( eg: 2 stops under exposure)? Which to me seems it would be a good way to avoid using the M8's internal high iso processing at 2500 and instead processing the image with modern software.

Sincerely

Richard in Michigan

I took this picture as a try using Etruscello's settings: Iso 640, EV -2.

Used aa M8 + Summilux 35/1.4

I think it is a great setting to shoot in darkness and have a very low noise.

[ATTACH]409266[/ATTACH]

I happily go to ISO 1250 and am consistently happy with the results. Il go to ISO 2500 if I have to... my philosophy is to get the shot above all else. If that means pushing the ISO, so be it. Generally I think the high ISO shots on the M8.2 are more than usable. Obviously personal opinion however.