Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or he could rename the collection:

"Voyeur Portraits"

Or maybe

"Random Subject Roulette"

oh wait... isn't that what Leica-philes call

"Street Photography":eek:

portraits

Good stuff Dirk. May I politely suggest you get in closer for the "portraits"?

Schüsz

Michiel

Here's a self-portrait from the M8 at ISO 640, f4 and 1/4 sec shot in DNG. I then converted it in Silver Efex for an antique plate look, hence the grain. Very usable.

Do any of you have suggestions of the best way to remove reflections in glasses in Photoshop CS3, (apart from not wearing them of course)? :D

Why removing the reflection? I think it gives the picture an extra, so keep it ;)

edit: otherwise use the clone-stamp

No sorries Richard - I was too concentrated on the threads subject … what was it again?

Actually, I found, flipping through Michiel's galleries, that the Zeiss 50 1.5 for Nikon has a very interesting look in low contrast BW shots.

I might get on a search on an older lens with that formula (and look) for M or Nikon F.

I normally use 160 and had a habit of not going above 640 unless I really, really had to thinking that the quality might suffer too much.

Then I snapped the attached picture of my son with the camera accidentally set to 1250. I was very impressed with the sharpness and will be experimenting more with higher ISO's now.

This was shot at f2, 1/180 on my M8 with pre-asph 'cron 50mm. ISO 1250

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Ming Rider

That's a super picture. I like the look on his face, as though he's spotted you've done something wrong like, "hey, wouldn't you be better shooting that at 640?"

Ha Ha. Yes it is a bit of a cheeky look. Thanks all for your comments. I'm trying to develop a more "out & about" approach to my photography but with an eight week old in the house I'm somewhat distracted at present!

Anyway, to keep on track with this thread, I now just shoot with whatever ISO is required and will learn to appreciate the results.

As John Garrett says in his book 'Mastering Black & White Photography' - "The bottom line is that photography is more about the photographer than about technology, about his or her ability to see.../...and technical knowledge used creatively mightily enhances that visualization".

Colin

Guest tvleeskr
This is a 1250 ISO picture in quite difficult conditions (highlights on left side of the face and strong shadows on the right side).....well that's not perfect but not so bad as people say about high ISO on M8 ;)

5243155341_2cbf5d8ab5_b.jpg

Haha, Italian girls..... They sure know they will get it their way :-)

Hey There tvleeskr!

unless I'm badly mistaken, wouldn't your lovely image of the young girl output as a gorgeous PRINT at say 8x10 inches? Even 5x7 inches? There is a time and a place for images expressive with the utter peaks of image resolutions, microcontrasts, and all the other 'Dark Arts' of Photographic Sorcery, but that doesn't mean 'all the time' nor in 'all places' and quite frankly this image's intrinisic magic needs no 'Dark Arts' to achieve it's Magic. Just competent wielding of one's 'wand' ie:the camera. :-)

Great Image!

R. in MI.

OOPS - Sorry Ishkra! misread who posted the image originally.

My Bad :-)

Hey There tvleeskr!

unless I'm badly mistaken, wouldn't your lovely image of the young girl output as a gorgeous PRINT at say 8x10 inches? Even 5x7 inches? There is a time and a place for images expressive with the utter peaks of image resolutions, microcontrasts, and all the other 'Dark Arts' of Photographic Sorcery, but that doesn't mean 'all the time' nor in 'all places' and quite frankly this image's intrinisic magic needs no 'Dark Arts' to achieve it's Magic. Just competent wielding of one's 'wand' ie:the camera. :-)

Great Image!

R. in MI.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot mostly Auto and set the ISO limiter at 640. I've never had a noise issue either with color or B&W. If I get into an extreme low light situation, I may bump it up to 800 or 1250 as necessary and deal with the noise in CS5 formerly using Noise Ninja and now Topaz Denoise. If the noise is still objectionable, I add a little grain in Topaz to give the noise a natural uniform tight grainy look rather than the blotchy noise effect.

• 2 weeks later...
Even kidding ;) If the results are crap, the histogram is crap. It is so simple: Disregard the sharp peak of the specular highlights ( those are supposed to be blown out anyway) and expose to eliminate the flat line on the right hand side of your histogram. Note: If you use "A" ( not recommended btw) this may be an EV compensation of up to +2 EV for low contrast subjects. Get that thing off the "standard" -2/3rds compensation (I wonder who dreamt up that particularly stupid advice) and start exposing for your subject matter - it is called photography, not automated one-size-fits-all !

+++++++++