Strange problem with my M8...

johnmaloof

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting.

I am the second owner of an M8. Had a hot pixel which caused a vertical band so I sent it back to Leica NJ. The vertical band wasn't that bad but for only $175, they took care of it for me.

Just got it back from Leica NJ but, now I have a strange problem. I took it out for a full day of shooting (on a sunny, cold day) and when I returned and I plugged it into my computer, I was floored. Horrible grain on most images. I thought my ISO must have switched to a super high setting on accident. I checked the EXIF on the images and it was for sure on ISO 640. The grain should not be this bad at ISO 640...and it's baaad!

Is there anything someone can advise on this problem? I've included sample pics from this day of shooting (both good and bad grain...you can tell which is which). Both were taken within the same day, same setting, same lens (28mm Elmarit f/2.8 w/UV-IR filter), etc...

Good image: http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll142/johnmaloof/L9990230.jpg

Bad image: http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll142/johnmaloof/L9990203.jpg

Edited by johnmaloof
added more info

That is a huge difference indeed. From my experience (M8.2) an ISO 640 image shouldn't look like this. Isn't the Auto ISO function playing havoc here?

Some info on Auto ISO here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/153106-cant-find-m8-manual-help.html#post1531818

Edited by RichardM8

Probably strong underexposure. And incorrect settings in your RAW converter. For one thing there is no black point. Even the "good" image is certainly nothing like the quality you can get on an M8. Could you make RAW files available?

Edit, no need. I looked at EXIF, exposure compensation in Photoshop Elements 5 : +2.40 x ! There is the reason.

Edited by jaapv

Hi,

@RichardM8: Auto ISO was not on. Even if it was, the shot is on 640 ISO which is too grainy for that setting.

@Steve Ash: I didn't process these at all in Photoshop (no pulling pushing). The DNG file was opened Raw and then I just saved as a JPEG with no post processing at all.

@jaapv: I'd love to make a couple RAW files available. Photobucket won't upload them. Do you have a suggestion on how to make them available? I would love to get your input on this. The RAW converter is on auto and if it increased exposure, I need know if this is the culprit.

Thanks!

Edited by johnmaloof

@jaapv: You're right about the RAW converter overexposing. I looked at other files and reset all of the settings to make that conclusion.

I'm coming from an M6 with 400TMAX film for the past three years. It's hard to get used to a 320 or 640 ISO when I have been so used to 400 speed film. The new settings are going to need some getting used to. Well, this looks like an underexposed image on my part.

I'm glad I didn't send it off to Leica NJ like an idiot and complain. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome to the forum, John!

Nothing wrong with the question. Digital has a lot of different places to mess up that we're not used to with film. ;)

Keep in mind that the M8 meters quite a bit differently than the M6. I'm still caught off guard by it occasionally, even after three years of use.

Edited by ho_co

John, those diagrams are from the M8 manual (downloadable at Leica Camera AG - Downloads), and I don't find them all that useful.

On the M5, M6 etc, we knew we were always working with a strongly center-weighted meter.

But notice on those M8 metering diagrams that the white shutter blade is at an angle, and the metering sensitivity diagram is symmetrical from the center. :confused:

There are frequent mentions on the forum that with a wide-angle, the M8 meter seems to respond more to a sky than the diagram indicates.

At the Leica-sponsored M8 introduction at Dallas DFW airport, the presenter, Scott Geffert, said he found that the metering became more 'spot-like' with longer lenses, and more 'center-weighted,' i.e. 'more wide-field' with wide-angles.

At the introduction of the M9 (video by Reichmann on Vimeo), Stefan Daniel said the reason the M9 metering was changed from that of the M8 (by addition of a gray blade both above and below the white one) was "to make it meter more like the M7."

All I can say is that I find the M8's meter trickier to use than that on my film M's. Others on the forum seem to have adjusted to it better than I. :(

BTW, congratulations on getting the M8. It is a jewel, and I think you'll come to like it at least as much as you do your other M cameras. :)

Edited by ho_co

Dear John...Welcome to the M8 world ;)...i had the same feelings when i shoot the first time with my new M8. The quality at High ISO is terrible but also the grain in the shadows at 320 ISO is really bad compared to my old D700.

shot after shot i appreciated the quality of the M8 for the great colours, contrasts and details...however, the grain is always there :(

Hi,

@RichardM8: Auto ISO was not on. Even if it was, the shot is on 640 ISO which is too grainy for that setting.

@Steve Ash: I didn't process these at all in Photoshop (no pulling pushing). The DNG file was opened Raw and then I just saved as a JPEG with no post processing at all.

@jaapv: I'd love to make a couple RAW files available. Photobucket won't upload them. Do you have a suggestion on how to make them available? I would love to get your input on this. The RAW converter is on auto and if it increased exposure, I need know if this is the culprit.

Thanks!

http://WWW.yousendit.com