.icm profiles in LR3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm progressively switching over from Capture One to LR3, and gradually getting to grips with the differences. I'm using a Mac with the latest OS.

In C1 I have a collection of .icm profiles for converting raw files to BW. These have been useful, and I'd like to use them in LR. I assume that there should be a folder from which they can be accessed by LR, but it's not obvious where this might be located - I've looked in all the obvious places. Neither can I find a way of accessing .icm profiles from LR, so maybe it's not possible, which would be a strange omission. Any advice?

David

Are yiou sure that the icm files aren't a Capture One specific file, with no relevance to other programs? It would be unusual to be able to transfer such settings.

You might well have point here, Andy. I went back to the original instructions, and they are called "JFI BW Toolkit for Capture One". I bought them originally following a recommendation from Reid Reviews. I was assuming that a profile was a profile. I still have much to learn about this digital stuff. Film was much simpler.

Is it however the case that the use of profiles such as these is not possible in LR3?

David

As far as I know the colour management of Capture One is built around proper icm and icc profiles for the supported cameras. These profiles are generated by PhaseOne for each supported camera

For Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe decided to do something different and invent their own version of 'camera profiles' not consistent with icm/icc.

I dont think LR or ACR recognise proper profiles in the way Capture One does so I dont think you will be able to use the JFI profiles. Maybe JFI have done something specifically for camera/LR/ACR?

Jeff

David,

Lightroom and ACR don't use the .icm or .icc profiles.

However, in Photoshop you can use them simply by using "assign profile" under "edit" and picking the icm/icc profile you want from the drop down menu.

It's a run-around but it does work quite well.

maurice

My thanks to Jeff and Maurice for that info. I've looked at the JFI web page and they only seem to make their profiles specifically for C1 So that seems to put the lid on that.

As for the Photoshop work-round, that's not on the menu either, since I don't have it, and don't intend to buy it, since LR3 does (almost) everything I need. I do, however, have the Nik set of software for LR3, including Silver Efex Pro, which I've hardly started to investigate as yet.

Back to the drawing board …

David

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My thanks to Jeff and Maurice for that info. I've looked at the JFI web page and they only seem to make their profiles specifically for C1 So that seems to put the lid on that.

As for the Photoshop work-round, that's not on the menu either, since I don't have it, and don't intend to buy it, since LR3 does (almost) everything I need. I do, however, have the Nik set of software for LR3, including Silver Efex Pro, which I've hardly started to investigate as yet.

Back to the drawing board …

David

As stated in earlier posts, LR (ACR) does not make use of icc profiles.

ACR or LR uses DNG Camera Profiles (DCP) to render the raw file into the visible result.

Within LR one can simply change from color to bw (one click) and then use the options to tune the color to bw rendering. Such develop settings can be saved as a so-called preset.

Regarding the DCP's you can use the ones provided by LR, or create your own, quite easy, with either color checker passport (ccp) or adobe's dng camera profile editor (dpe). Both derive a DCP from an image you create from a color checker card.

I use this all the times, and actually find the ones created with dpe just a bit better (subjective ;-)). The main difference in my case is in the blue and red parts, the ccp is a bit oversatured in my personal view. This may be the case because i use Leica R lenses on a Nikon D700 body, and it looks like the leica r lenses have perhaps a bit more "bandwith" in the extremes of the visible spectrum (blue, red).

Anyway it gives excellent results in color, verynatural vibrant, as if it comes alive. That is for color, i assume it applies too for b/w.

Note that for printing LR does use icc profiles, and there are special b/w printing profiles, f.i. for Epson printers. check this link: Epson 3800 Step-By-Step Printing Workflow

Good luck

Jan R. Smit

Thanks Jan, there's some useful extra information here. I'll work through your suggestions. I took a look at the film simulations in Silver Efex Pro, but they bear no relation to the films they claim to emulate. I'll take your advice and work out my own.

David