In Praise of Leica

richfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading the recent thread on 50mm Summilux ASPH FLE aperture blades sticking en route to f/1.4, I recently began to experience the phenomenon after nine months of flawless performance with the lens.

I called Leica on Thursday and spoke with Sarah Mayville, who scheduled an appointment for me today - only four days later (I live only 50 miles from Leica's US headquarters). Last night, while boxing the lens, I also noticed a small mark / scratch on the front element which puzzled me, as I fitted a B+W MRC 007 filter on it the moment it came out of the box when new.

In I went this morning. I was met at 7:30 am (fifteen minutes earlier than my appointment) by Bill Weier, Leica USA's chief technician, who examined the lens and chatted about Leica and other things over coffee. Bill could not have been nicer or more professional (BTW, he's been with Leica 28 years), and said that he would repair the aperture blades and replace the front element. As luck would have it, all required parts were on hand.

Brenda Olesin called me at noon - four hours later, to tell me that the lens was repaired and ready to be picked up. When I arrived, Bill met me again and explained that he had replaced all nine aperture blades (the rivet on one was apparently a bit high) and replaced the front element and that the lens came in at .0007mm and went out at .0008mm - both well within Leica's focus tolerances (I have never had any focus shift issues with the lens). Bill also told me that the lens checked out beautifully on the bench and in his other tests.

Since a number of threads and posts I've read involve achieving less than perfection with Leica gear or service (perfection not being attainable in life in my experience to date), I thought it would be appropriate to share my terrific experience on the Forum. Bill, Sarah and Brenda could not have been more professional, courteous or nice. True pros and genuinely nice people.

Thanks, Leica - great job. You've earned my sincere trust and thanks (you've had my respect for a while now for your amazing products).

Rich

• Like 3

Hey, Mods!

This one is positive. Doesn't fit the Leica Forum at all.

Can you move the thread to the Nikon board?

:) :) :)

Congratulations, Rich! You've discovered the truth about the folks at Allendale. Thanks for taking the time to post it.