Get a grip!

jaapv

It's removed because it's stuck using a tape that is used for trim and badges on cars- this doesn't damage the paintwork when it's removed - assuming that when it's stuck down there is a decent enough surface.

At least I hope so!

So you hope so: it's about faith. I'd rather see pictures of someone removing the thing and the results - without retouching the outcome, on various surfaces, plated, painted, chromed.

So you hope so: it's about faith. I'd rather see pictures of someone removing the thing and the results - without retouching the outcome, on various surfaces, plated, painted, chromed.

I work on knowledge, its more reliable than faith.

The tape is strong enough for all normal use. But if you want to remove the Thumbie you just give it a very firm twist which tears the foam core of the tape. The residue of the tape is just rolled up with your thumb and the paintwork is as good as new. Here is a photo of my camera with the grip removed, for the first time in over a year. Before then I had regularly fitted and removed various prototypes, maybe twenty or thirty times. Seeing the camera in real life and the paintwork is perfect, better than the surrounding paintwork that hasn't been protected.

Steve

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I can also add, that when I was helping Steve with the different coloured Thumbies earlier this year (Chrome and Steel Grey), I mounted and removed the Thumbies a few times on these finishes with no detectable marks. I found it helps if the camera is quite warm. I left mine in the linen airing cupboard for 30 minutes or so. I would guess the temperature in there is around 40ºC (just a normal warm summer day last week, according to my daughter who lives in Baltimore, MD).

Wilson

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Intuitively I would be hesitant to use a Thumbie because it's held in place with an adhesive which you'd better trust with your $7,000 rig.

I bought the Really Right Stuff L-bracket as I often like to tripod mount my camera both in format and portrait. I happened to buy the hand grip for the bracket, but found that to sort of defeated the purpose of the compact Leica rangefinder with all the bulk.

So I just left on the L-bracket without the grip and added a Thumbs Up and I'm happy with this rig.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark,

I would be very careful about going in a Boeing 787. They stick the wings on with glue on those as well;-}} Modern adhesives are very reliable and consistent. With the Thumbie, Steve gives you a couple of spare adhesive strips, so if you are worried about deterioration, you can replace them after a few years

Wilson

• Like 2

Intuitively I would be hesitant to use a Thumbie because it's held in place with an adhesive which you'd better trust with your $7,000 rig.

It is probably worth mentioning the Thumbie is a support for the thumb, not something you hold the camera by, it isn't big enough for that. The idea is that it doesn't make the camera bigger (as with bolt on accessories) just to get a better grip. Less is more!

But the tape has been tested to my knowledge at up to 150 m.p.h., holding a badge on a car, in rain, heatwave, or cold. It still required an effort to remove it after many years.:)

Steve

• Like 1

I will add that the Thumbie will drop off if used in tropical moist conditions. The adhesive does not hold up in tropical rainforest in the warm season (45 C. and downpour) But other than that it stuck tenaciously.

• Like 2

Mark,

I would be very careful about going in a Boeing 787. They stick the wings on with glue on those as well;-}} Modern adhesives are very reliable and consistent. With the Thumbie, Steve gives you a couple of spare adhesive strips, so if you are worried about deterioration, you can replace them after a few years

Wilson

Thanks, Wilson. That's it for flying (for me)! :p

• Like 1