Get a grip!

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a big fan of the Thumbs Up, wouldn't handle an M9 without it. It enables me to hold the camera securely in my right hand with the strap wrapped loosely around my wrist. Perfect for the street.

I use a Thumbs-Up on both M cameras, each with either an M-motor or 'Vit. Excellent setup. Highly recommended, especially for my peers with arthritis.

• 2 weeks later...
Have a look at the ML-Grip They also have a M8 M9 version I think it is awesome! Better than the Leica orginal which copied this design. Can be left on during film change. Does not interfere with straps. Milled from a solid block.

Nice piece of engineering but as far as I can see from their website, at present no M8 or 9 version. M2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & MP only.

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pete,

Thanks for that - I had not thought of clicking on the MD link. I am now using my M8 grip on my M9 and have changed the Rollei black magic leather for the dark slate blue kid that I put on the M9 last week to replace the rubberish. You don't really notice the chrome on the bottom plate and if I ever want to paint it steel grey, I am in any case having some paint matched to the steel grey for painting one of Steve Barnett's (250SWB) Thumbies. If I had known about this grip, which is about half the price of a Leica one, I would have got it and put the slate blue leather on it. I will still get one for my M8 and have it sent to my daughter in Baltimore, who I am meeting in South Africa over New Year, thereby saving postage and duty.

Wilson

• 3 months later...

Just to let folks know, as Steve (250SWB) is very modest about his great product, that Thumbies are now available in Steel Grey (I know as I sent him a tin with the 99% of the grey paint I did not use) and I think he will take orders for satin chrome. Here are pictures of the two development models in grey and chrome. You will have to contact Steve for pricing of these two. I have no financial interest in these, I just did the development of the two new colours after Steve gave me bare metal and primer Thumbies to play with.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The gray Thumbie arrived yesterday, and I installed it immediately on the M9.

Because I have small hands, I have with it a better feeling than with the Thumbs-Up: my thumb was a little bit stretched with the latter, and with the Thumbie it sits where it naturally belongs.

And I love having the hot shoe free again!

This forum is great! Thank you, Wilson, for sharing the information!

Cheers,

Manolo

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is my submission for the least helpful post of the month (and all being well, a candidate for dullest post of the year, too):

I prefer my M9 with no grips at all.

Just an A&A silk strap that holds it in the perfect position on my wrist, in my hand, ready to shoot.

Thank you.

:)

This is my submission for the least helpful post of the month (and all being well, a candidate for dullest post of the year, too):

I prefer my M9 with no grips at all.

Just an A&A silk strap that holds it in the perfect position on my wrist, in my hand, ready to shoot.

Thank you.

:)

You might not be quite so dismissive, if you had arthritic hands like quite a few of us on the Forum do. I and quite a few others need all the help we can get to hold an M steady for low speed shots. Front grips and thumb supports are also very good for steady, overhead, one-handed shots in crowds. Steve's Thumbie is by far the best solution for me and a big improvement both ergonomically and aesthetically, on the 3M Bumpon rubber blocks I used before, on all my M's film and digital.

Wilson

• Like 1

You might not be quite so dismissive, if you had arthritic hands like quite a few of us on the Forum do. I and quite a few others need all the help we can get to hold an M steady for low speed shots. Front grips and thumb supports are also very good for steady, overhead, one-handed shots in crowds. Steve's Thumbie is by far the best solution for me and a big improvement both ergonomically and aesthetically, on the 3M Bumpon rubber blocks I used before, on all my M's film and digital.

Wilson

Wilson, I do apologise if you read my message as being dismissive. It wasn't intended that way. I simply wanted to express my own opinion regarding my own experience, as most others have been doing in this thread.

And of course, anything that helps you enjoy your photography is a good thing, and (I hope like any reasonable person), I'm all for it even if it doesn't work for me personally.

And I'm a little hurt that you might assume otherwise, but apologise if I gave you reason.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wilson, I do apologise if you read my message as being dismissive. It wasn't intended that way. I simply wanted to express my own opinion regarding my own experience, as most others have been doing in this thread.

And of course, anything that helps you enjoy your photography is a good thing, and (I hope like any reasonable person), I'm all for it even if it doesn't work for me personally......

Peter, I don't think much has been written in the forum about the point Wilson made. When I unpacked my new M8 and held it briefly in my hands, the poor tactile contact caused it to slip onto the table. Fortunately it was OK, but it could have cost me the loss of the camera for several weeks to be recalibrated. The hand-grip is essential for me, with all cameras which do not possess an ergonomic in-built grip. I accept it is not for all users, but many testify to its usefulness.