Get a grip!

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When the M8 came out many people, used to film M cameras, began to realize that they had been using the film rewind lever as a thumbrest.

this gave rise to the construction of the "Thumbs Up" by Tim Isaacs, which is still the leading thumbrest on the accessory market. There are however, a few other options.

First the venerable SNOB by Leicagoodies, which has been around for quite some time, and now there is a newcomer, the "Thumbie" by Steve Barnett ( 250SWB on this forum)

How do they stack up against each other?

The Thumbs-Up:

Well built and designed.

Ergonomically sound. (follows the thumb)

Can be temporarily removed and replaced easily.

Has a (limited edition) silver variant.

Is the most expensive of the three.

Blocks the hot shoe ( but has an accessory shoe for a viewfinder)

Might damage the finish of the camera if grit gets under it.

Throws some mechanical strain on the hot shoe.

http://matchtechnical.com/CSEP1.aspx

The SNOB

Is very cheap.

Does the job.

Cannot be temporarily removed

Has doubtful ergonomics.

Looks funny

http://www.leicagoodies.com/snob.html

The Thumbie

Very reasonably priced.

Well built and designed.

Excellent ergonomics ( Follows the angle of the thumb)

Leaves the hot shoe free.

Small and elegant.

Cannot be temporarily removed

Comes only in black

mailto:barnet@globalnet.co.uk

For the record: those that cannot be temporarily removed kan easily be taken off without damage to the camera!

I never hung my thumb in the rewind lever of my film Ms, but on the M9 the Thumbie convinced me of its benefits, so that one is stuck on with me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 13

I have Steve Barnett's grips on both my M8 and M9 and find them to be very comfortable giving extra grip and security. Especially useful with heavy lenses like the Noctilux and chrome 90mm pre ASPH Summicron.

I did find I had to adjust the position of the grip according to the length of my thumb. I have small thumbs and needed to mount the grip lower than the recommended position. No problem since in addition to the adhesive strip on the grip two spares were also supplied.

All we need now is for the case manufacturers to provide suitable cut outs.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

All we need now is for the case manufacturers to provide suitable cut outs.

Bob.

I can -just- force my Leica neverready case over it. I hope it will stretch with time, but I would have to start using it more often :(

The Thumbs-Up:

Well built and designed.

Ergonomically sound. (follows the thumb)

Can be temporarily removed and replaced easily.

Has a (limited edition) silver variant.

Is the most expensive of the three.

Blocks the hot shoe ( but has an accessory shoe for a viewfinder)

Might damage the finish of the camera if grit gets under it.

Throws some mechanical strain on the hot shoe.

I do not use one of these but, just as a suggestion, if double sided tape were added to it in the same way as it is used for the thumbie would this not stop grit getting under it and reduce strain on the hotshoe, at the expense of temporary removal?

The Thumbie is the first thumb grip that could persuade me to remove the 3M Bumpon that I use at present on all of my M bodies. The Bumpon at around £0.10 is an even cheaper and IMHO, due to its matt finish and square shape, "grippier" alternative to Rik's SNOB. I have asked Steve if he is doing the Thumbie in steel grey yet. It has the big advantage that it leaves the shoe free for a flash.

Wilson

Excellent overview Jaap. I have recently replaced a Thumbs Up with the Thumbie on my M9. I think they perform equally well, and using either of them is significantly better than no grip. For me the Thumbie wins because it is less obtrusive and positioning is more flexible.

I put the Griptack covering on both my M8 and use the Leica grip base. I did have a rubber bumper on the back of the cameras but they did come off after several months.

I've looked at the thumbie and found it to be interesting but decided not to get it. Thumbs up is a downer for me as it uses up the hot shoe.

I'm a big fan of the Thumbs Up, wouldn't handle an M9 without it. It enables me to hold the camera securely in my right hand with the strap wrapped loosely around my wrist. Perfect for the street.

Exactly how I use my Thumbs Up and strap!:)

The new Thumbs Up SCEP-1 in black has a shoe for external VFs and NO lettering which I much prefer.

Regards,

Mark

I use a Luigi half case, with built in grip, and have no issues. The half case protects the camera well, and I don't use the picture review, so the screen is well protected.

Looks nice too!

I tried to contact Luigi on at least half a dozen occasions with NO reply:mad:, gave up ,and instead got a black A&A M9 half-case but it doesn't have the built in grip.

Mark

Yes, other people have said that.

All I can say is that I contacted Luigi on a Wednesday, paid the next day, and the half case arrived on Monday (in New Zealand).

So, my experience was entirely positive. The case is very nicely made and fits very tight.

Can't beat Italian leather!

:confused::confused:What has a case to do with a thumbgrip?

You're right.:o It followed on from John stating that the Luigi case with handgrip gave him adequate grip..I then commented that Luigi is uncontactable...free-flowing forum...flight of ideas!

To get back on to the topic, I like my Thumbs Up:)

Mark

• Like 1