new backfocus thread-solution

bradreiman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading all 9 pages and spending a few hours trying to wrap my head around all of the different options, I decided to give this adjustment a try.

I used my CV 35/1.2 and shot a calander on a wall that was roughly 50ft away.

It was cloudy so I couldn't use anything outdoors that easily.

Anyway, at first I went too far when adjusting with the allen wrench,

But after slowly pulling it back I was able to get significally better focus then I was initally getting. Definitely make very small adjustments and be sure to keep the allen key in place with one of your fingers because the whole mechinism will want to move around.

Ultimately ill end up sending in my camera & lens in to Don for a proper tune up, but being able to do this minor adjustment is very helpful! Next I need to get over my fear of sensor cleaning!

• 2 years later...

Hi all, my first post here. It's a very helpful forum! I had my 2nd hand M8 sent in to Schmidt for shutter upgrade and they said that they adjusted and cleaned the camera as well.

When I got the camera back, I realised that focus for my ZM28 was off by a very small amount at all focusing distances.

Knowing that Schmidt has a turnover of around 2 to 3 weeks and with the holidays starting in just a few days, I decided to use an allen key to see if I could fix the focusing.

I was able to get close and medium focusing perfectly, but the rangefinder patch doesn't reach infinity anymore and pictures taken at infinity are all out of focus.

If I adjusted the roller cam so that the viewfinder overlapped correctly at infinity again, all focus for other distances are thrown off.

Did I do something wrong, did I miss a step? Thanks everyone, cheers.

• 9 months later...
Johan, that's what exactly happened to me when I first (and last) adjusted my M8 with the 2mm wrench. I had a couple lenses backfocusing a little and so performed the adjustment with an expert friend. Short lenses where fine but I had the bad surprise to see my Elmarit 90 gone totally out of focus (several meters in front of distant subjects).

Sent the camera to Solms along with the 90 and anything is ok since. I still have some lens very slightly backfocusing (mainly CV lenses) but learned how to live with it.

Again the same problem with M240 : infinity is spot on, but up close is front-focussing with all lenses. If I try the cam adjustment, up close is more or less spot on (but not will all lenses though), and instead infinity is totally off by 3 or 4 meters… :mad:

I know, alas.

All lenses are frontfocussed on the M240 and, after adjusting, infinity is front-focussing by 3 m.

All lenses are spot-on on the M8, and infinity is slightly off by a meter or so, except the 21 which is spot on. This is normal, because M8 and lenses have been adjusted by DAG to be sharp close and less so on infinity.

So M240 and is back to Wetzlar… :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i can't thank this forum enough for how it just saved me today. just got my 50 summilux50asph back from leica service in NJ for what I thought was a back focus problem. It was back focusing from the day I got it, and thought it was me. So.. after a suggestion from Steve Huff that it's most likely my M240 body.. I was about to face another 2-3 month wait.. or go to the local camera repair shop and trust it there for around $100 in service for a few few weeks. then i found this thread. then I found a 2mm allen. after 10min of going back and forth w/ the lens on/off to compare w/ live view.. and YAY! the lens is sharp as hell and spot on. tested w/ my other 'crons (50/35), and all is well! ...adding the 2mm allen to my camera bag.. right next to my hasselblad 'unlock' tool. ;) THANK YOU!!!!

i can't thank this forum enough for how it just saved me today. just got my 50 summilux50asph back from leica service in NJ for what I thought was a back focus problem. It was back focusing from the day I got it, and thought it was me.

So.. after a suggestion from Steve Huff that it's most likely my M240 body.. I was about to face another 2-3 month wait.. or go to the local camera repair shop and trust it there for around $100 in service for a few few weeks. then i found this thread. then I found a 2mm allen. after 10min of going back and forth w/ the lens on/off to compare w/ live view.. and

YAY!

the lens is sharp as hell and spot on. tested w/ my other 'crons (50/35), and all is well! ...adding the 2mm allen to my camera bag.. right next to my hasselblad 'unlock' tool. ;)

THANK YOU!!!!