Leica MP3 Lens Repair

harleyboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I purchased an MP3 LHSA and did some damage to the lens on the first day I owned it. Ok my wife did the damage but lets not go there. I sent it back to Leica USA at the end of November. After some time they followed up just before xmas saying that they were going to cover the repair and it would be taken care of. A few weeks later I heard back that they needed to send the lens back to Germany for repair. I have been trying to get connected with someone at Leica to find out the status but no response yet. I will keep bugging them but I wanted to know what people think I can expect regarding turn around time. Should I get ready for a long haul? So far it seems that way. I am thankful for the passport and great warranty but the time to get this done seems rather long.

Should I be lowering my expectations?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark.

I remember your post. If I recall the camera was sitting in your wife's lap when the performance ended...?

There's been some talk here about the ASPH lenses needing to go to Germany for any repair as the technicians outside Solms are not permitted to perform repairs on them, so that might explain why your lens has to go abroad.

I've never sent anything to the factory for repair (knock on wood!) but I would think if you don't see it returned in a couple of weeks it would be well to start asking questions of New Jersey.

Thanks.

Allan

Hi Mark , I had two lenses at Solms for CLA one of was the Canadian

Apo Telyt R 180 f3.4 the other was the 21-35 asph .Vario Elmar .

My experience with the Apo Telyt was inquiries seem to be ignored to the point I replaced the lens with the newer Apo Elmarit 180. I just thought it had got lost and as I send it normal mail no insurance.

I seem to remember it was after 10 weeks the lens got back , in perfect order clean optics like new. The Vario Elmar got back very quick I think it just needed adjustment . Except for the delay with the Apo Telyt

I must say I am pleased the service is done by experts.