Mac Update 10.6.5 includes LX5 RAW

True for the LX5, not yet known for the D-Lux 5. Here is the complete list of supported cameras:

Mac OS X v10.6: Supported digital camera RAW formats

Also, if one uses Lightroom to convert the D-Lux 5 raws to DNG's, the Finder in OS v.10.6.5 will still not display the images.

Fortunately, Lightroom and Bridge and, of course, Photoshop will display these raws.

It must be the case that OS X still looks for the camera model designation even though the images have been converted to the common DNG format that OS X 'should' be able to read.

You can try to add the Leica D-Lux 5 creating an "alias" of the Panasonic LX5. It's possible if you are able to edit a system file, see this page.

The RAW.plist file of Mac OS X 10.6.5 contains :

<key>RCID_PanasonicDMCLX5</key>	<!-- 3.4 -->
<dict>
	<key>bexp</key> <real>-0.40</real>
	<key>m1</key>
	<array>
		<real>1.3262</real> <real>-0.6724</real> <real>0.1134</real>
		<real>-0.1084</real> <real>0.9497</real> <real>0.4896</real>
		<real>0.0503</real> <real>0.1031</real> <real>0.7035</real>
	</array>
	<key>m2</key>
	<array>
		<real>0.9518</real> <real>-0.3704</real> <real>-0.0764</real>
		<real>-0.1662</real> <real>0.8814</real> <real>0.2488</real>
		<real>-0.0215</real> <real>0.1690</real> <real>0.4521</real>
	</array>

<key>esint</key> <real>0.78</real>
	<key>esein</key> <real>2.70</real>

<key>spknd</key> <integer>1</integer>
	<key>spt1</key> <real>40</real>

<key>pbnf</key> <real>0.16</real>
</dict>

Warning, I haven't try this, make sure you have a backup. In 2007, when my DMR files were not recognized, a similar patch was possible to open a DMR file as a M8 file. It was under Mac OS X 10.4 (see this page).

Thanks for the tip on modifying the RAW.plist file. While I am reasonably computer competent I think that I will leave it to someone braver than me to test this out!

For now I will be satisfied with being able to see the D-Lux 5's converted DNGs in Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop. It is curious to me however, since DNGs are a standard format, why OS X should not be able to display them in the Finder regardless of the camera model designation.

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By robotography
      Hi all,
      a while ago I've bought a used Elmarit-M 90mm (latest version) for which I found a few days ago by accident that the aperture blades do not fully disappear when the lens is used wide open. Consequently, the bokeh balls aren't circular, but have a more "saw blade"-like shape. If I turn the aperture ring beyond 2.8, which is possible by a tiny bit, the blades retract a bit more, but never completely (cp. attached images). 
      As I wasn't sure whether this is by design or a defect, I have contacted Leica Support and they tell me that this is the normal behaviour, but offer a CLA for the lens nonetheless.
      Could any other owner please check with his or her lens?
      Thanks in advance,
      Rolf

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Edwin Ho
      I plan to use an external flash on my D-Lux 5. What is the flash synch speed of this camera?
      I do have the Leica SF 24D (which I use primarily on my M9) and Olympus S20 flash; both of which are small enough to sit comfortably on the D-Lux 5.
      Since acquiring the SF 24D, the Olympus S20 has been relegated to the the drawer, but it is still a very competent little flash!
      Both flashes will be used in automatic or manual mode only. Obviously TTL mode on the SF 24D will not work on the the D-Lux 5.
    • By 4peterse
      Moin Leude,
      ich bin eigentlich ein eingefleischter Farbfotograf, wollte mich aber mal an schwarzweiß versuchen. Praktischerweise gibt es ja zwei schwarzweiß Modi, die aber (natürlich) nur schwarzweiße JPEGs produzieren. Im L+RAW Modus werden dann noch zusätzliche RAW Files angelegt, die aber (natürlich) farbig sind. Insgeheim hatte ich gehofft, dass in die RAW Files schon ein schwarzweiß Profil eingebettet ist – ähnlich wie in den Crop Modi ja auch schon der Bildausschnitt im RAW File eingestellt ist.
      Da die Kamera das nicht erledigt, bin ich also auf der Suche nach einem Profil für Lightroom, das möglichst nah an den JPEGs dran ist. Das Adobe Monochrome ist leider nicht exakt passend. Natürlich kann man das einfach als Ausgangsbasis nutzen und dann an den Reglern rumschrauben, wie es einem gut passt.
      Daher gibt es vielleicht hier im Forum jemanden, der so in Profil schon hat, weiß wo man eines bekommen kann oder auch weiß, wie man eines anlegen kann (ohne allzuviel Rumgerate)?
      Danke!
    • By ho_co
      Probably already answered many times. Sorry for the repeat.
      Does anyone know whom to contact at Apple in regard to getting the D-Lux 7's raw files recognized in MacOS High Sierra? (2011 computer; High Sierra is latest compatible OS.)
      Apple says to contact Leica because the camera files may not be compatible with the OS. That doesn't ring true to me...
      Or would it be best just to forget about it? 
      Thanks!
    • By Ian clegg
      First time post, be gentle. 
      I want to bring my raw files from Monochrom into silver efex. SEP. But it will only accept RGB. Will this lead to loss of quality ? When I scan my black and white negs I do so in greyscale and that’s  perfect for printing to black and white paper at Metro. 
      It seems to defeat the object of the Monochrom if I have to convert to RGB ?
      Am I missing a trick ? What say you ?